X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Stennett suspended for one year

January 22, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Former FIFA referee Howard Stennett was on Thursday suspended from all refereeing duties with immediate effect and until 31 December 2009. Stennett was deemed to have brought the game into disrepute following his attack on a spectator during a Digicel Premier League game between Reno and Arnett Gardens at Frome on Sunday January 11, 2009.

The recommendation to suspend Stennett was made by the joint Jamaica Football Federation Referees and Competitions Committees following a hearing. That decision was upheld by the Jamaica Football Federation.

Among the factors considered in reaching the decisions taken against Stennett are the fact that the written report submitted by both the Match Commissioner and Stennett did not warrant the actions taken by Stennett (physical abuse of a spectator). The behavior was viewed as an extreme case of poor judgment which compromised his credibility and brought the sport into disrepute.

Additionally, he was considered to have breached procedure and protocol when he publicly debated this matter on radio days after the incident was reported in the media. His conduct at the hearing was viewed as disrespectful and his actions and statements indicated a lack of remorse.

Stennett has a history of indiscretions while on duty and bringing the game into disrepute. One such indiscretion led to his removal from the FIFA list by the previous administration.

He will become eligible for re-registration and re-certification as a referee on January 1, 2010. He was informed of the decisions orally and in writing.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Good move by the league's leadership.

Comment

Really now? Suh him should stand up and wait the spectator lick him? Mi curious, what action was taken against the fan? Survey says .......
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

• This is the current list of men's referees in Jamaica taken from FIFA.com
        REFEREES: Raymon Bogle, Lewin Purser, Courtney Campbell, Kevin Morrison, Kevin Thomas.

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Kedlee Powell, Stephen Brown, Anthony Garwood, Ricardo Morgan, Garnet Page, Mark Sullivan, Rohan Thobourne, Triston Tulloch.
        Last edited by Bruce; January 22, 2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I will never forget the game I saw at Drax Hall between Ocho Rios FC and Lewis Strikers. Ocho Rios won 3-2.

The referee was a slug. To his credit, he was a slug equally to both teams. He didn't run, he didn't jog, he waddled. He was calling offsides even though he had two assistants working with him.

In the second half an Ocho Rios player was on the wrong end of a very bad foul, and the referee waddled about 30 yards and correctly ejected the Lewis Strikers player.

Ocho Rios then appealed for a penalty kick, claiming the foul was inside the box. (I was at the other end.)

The markings on the pitch were badly faded by rain. The referee waddled over to the assistant, talked with him briefly, then waddled back to the penalty spot and awarded the penalty.

After the game, the referee was arguing with Ocho Rios fans. I was standing next to one of Ocho Rios FC's sponsors, talking with for most of the second half.

So, this man pulls out a fistful of money and starts waving it around. He yelled out.

" Hey ref you tiefing (string of expletives and homosexual references)....see this fat white guy with the gray hair next to me? Mi bet you $5000 he can beat you in a footrace."

The referee did not take him up on the offer.

The referee did not take the offer.

Comment

Lazie, there was a match report. If the match report had suggested any at all that his actions were in self-defence, I'm sure they would have taken that into consideration.

Anyway, I don't expect you to change your views. Continue to be the lone voice in the wilderness, with the broad back.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Lazie, there was a match report. If the match report had suggested any at all that his actions were in self-defence, I'm sure they would have taken that into consideration.
                Did the match report say a spectator was advancing towards the referee on the field of play with an umbrella in his hand? When cricketers or footballers lick down streakers on the field yuh ever see dem get suspended yet?

Comment

Do you know what the report said? No! So, I will give the jury the benefit of the doubt.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Do you know what the report said? No! So, I will give the jury the benefit of the doubt.
                    Well the news report indicated the suspension was not solely based on the on field incident. It appears they wanted him to show remorse for simply defending himself. Do you give the police force the same benefit? Does the JFF have a better history at managing it's affairs than the police force? Hardly

Comment

Anyway, I don't expect you to change your views. Continue to be the lone voice in the wilderness, with the broad back.
                      "The sending-off of the player sparked a protest from the home team and its spectators, one of whom left the VIP area, approached referee Stennett on the field with an umbrella in hand and hurled abuse" (Jamaica Observer)

I guess it would have been okay for him to wait for a slap with the unmbrella. Againi I ask .... what action was taken against the fan? Get defensive all yuh want a Jamaica its the norm to get it wrong.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        Did the match report say a spectator was advancing towards the referee on the field of play with an umbrella in his hand? When cricketers or footballers lick down streakers on the field yuh ever see dem get suspended yet?

Nuh frighten dem Bricktop!

Comment

Okay. Next time I see someone approach me with an umbrella, I'll make sure to pre-emptively drop kick dem wra ss. A coulda Miss Daisy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA-xNzUFF_I

Comment

How long was he banned for Bricktop?

Comment

Working...
                              X