More news on the U20 team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More news on the U20 team

This report is from the Observer yesterday. For me it is quite shocking (but not entirely surprising) that this kind of activity has not been a part of the program from the beginning. Only 2 months before a final U20 qualifying and players have 'lower body weakness' plus demonstration of dehydration. It should not take a doctor to identify these problems!!! This is where a qualified coach and a proper trainer is needed.

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

U-20 Boyz hit gym ahead of qualifiers
    Howard Walker, Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The National Under-20 footballers started strength work yesterday to avoid a repeat of the near calamity which almost ruled out at least six starting players during the crucial CFU World Cup qualifiers in St Vincent recently.

After their 1-1 draw in the first match against Haiti, at least six players suffered muscle spasm after a random test by team doctor, Carlton Fraser.

"While I was examining most of the players, they had muscle spasm on the table and I was a bit disappointed, so this is why this programme has become such a necessity because it's going to counter that type of recurrence - muscle weakness which create such spasms.

"We had to meet their deficiencies because a lot of them are markedly dehydrated," Dr Fraser told the Observer yesterday during training.

The Young Reggae Boyz were accommodated at the Gymkhana Gymnasium at the Hilton Kingston Hotel at 11:30 am under the supervision of Dr Fraser and physical trainer, Dexter Gilmore.

While in St Vincent, National Under-20 co-ordinator, Patrick "Jackie" Walters, had high praises for Dr Fraser's work.
    Said Walters: "I can tell you, if it wasn't for Doc, we wouldn't have qualified. This man must be on every national team. I strongly recommend that."

The young Reggae Boyz are preparing for the crucial CONCACAF Under-20 World Cup qualifiers set for Trinidad & Tobago between March 6-15.

"When we examined them initially we found out that most of the players suffer from weakness in general, especially lower body weakness.

"Of course, this brings stamina limitations which we could not accept in our games. Fortunately, we came through the last encounter successfully, but this time we will address it as early as possible," Dr Fraser revealed.

He added: "We've scheduled them for twice per week, along with the other training requirements. We'll have enough time. In the group that we will be playing, we're going to encounter very fit teams and we (aim to) get them into that level which we consider adequate," he noted.

The team, under the watchful eyes of head coach, Donovan Duckie, and assistant coach Lenworth Hyde, went through their paces on the various equipment made available to them.

"The players have taken to it enthusiastically as they seemed to have a favouring for the machines, which is very, very good. Now we have to address certain players with specific inadequacies working on immediately and the overall fitness of the team and we will get much better than where we were the last time.

"This is a positive for the entire group and we're waiting anxiously for the next round because we know we will get good results," he said.

Jamaica will play in Group A alongside the United States, El Salvador and the winner of the Honduras-St Vincent & the Grenadines play-off. Hosts T&T, Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica comprise Group B.

Meanwhile McCauley Tulloch, who replaced the suspended Dever Orgill in the final game against SVG and damaged his knee, had a cylindrical cast placed on his right leg.
    Fellow striker Alanzo Adlam, who had a dislocation of the shoulder, trained with the team but is being treated carefully.

Dem neva go a gym yet?

Comment

It is really not surprising. Even in our senior ballers you see a huge difference when they get a contract overseas and then return.

We have the people on the track on field side, so there is no reason why it is not applied to our footballers.

Comment

So is the muscle spasm because of lack of lower body strength or dehydration and possible latic acid build up. Both of which is nutrition (diet and fluids) Its amazing our sproint athletes have very good core strenght and our footballers dont.. we need som knowledge transfer.

Comment

ballah need endurance training more dan trength, is not a strength ting inna ball. Dem yout yah shouldah did ah run some hills from longah time fi provide di neccessary strength inna dem thighs

Comment

Footballers don't need to lift weights to gain strength. There are a lot of resistance exercises they can do that will do the same thing, or even more, than basic pumping iron exercises could ever give them.

Not to say this is not good, but yuh don't need boasy Gymkhana. Must be $60,000 a year for that place now.

My problem with this is, I'm not sure what good it will do a month and a half from the tournament. This should have been done 6 months ago. It could even hurt them so close to the competition.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not really sure how it will hurt them a month and a half after. The first week they will be in pain, then after that they should be alright.

Comment

Yeah? What happens when one tries to lift weights that are too heavy or using the wrong technique. He could be out for months!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well i would hope that this is a competent program where people are being supervised.

Comment

When I was in college the coach use to make us run with a parachute looking thing on our back.

That thing was wicked, better than any gym. you can put it on legs or arm and the more you run the harder it become.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      When I was in college the coach use to make us run with a parachute looking thing on our back.

That thing was wicked, better than any gym. you can put it on legs or arm and the more you run the harder it become.
                      The track coaches in Jamaica have already incorporated that and the weight lifting, so as OJ says, it looks like knowledge transfer is the issue here.

Comment

yes, but things happen, and a lot can happen in the weights room.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And I can bet you won't find athletes in the weights room a month before champs!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

They usually stop a few weeks before.

Comment

Weeks!? Like how many suh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X