Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz bolstered

Boyz bolstered
    Rookie duo named for Nigeria friendlySEAN A WILLIAMS, Assistant Sport Editor
    Friday, January 16, 2009

Mears... plays right-back and made a loan move from Derby County last year
    Head coach John Barnes has recruited two newcomers to the Reggae Boyz squad for their friendly international against Nigeria's Super Eagles in London on February 11.

They are defender English-born Tyrone Mears who plies his trade in France with League One club Olympique Marseille and midfielder Darren Pratley of English Championship side, Swansea City.

Mears, 25 - born in Stockport, England - plays right-back and made a loan move from Derby County last year, but is yet to make an official appearance for his new club.

He previously played for Manchester City, Preston North End and West Ham United. He played 70 games for Preston and scored four goals between 2002-2006.

Twenty-three-year-old Pratley - born in Barking, England - was sold by Fulham to Swansea for £100,000 in June 2006 and is the club's captain. He has made 93 appearances for them with 10 goals to his name. Pratley's father's parents are Jamaican-born.

Other members of the 20-man squad released yesterday are goalkeepers Donovan Ricketts, Shawn Sawyers; defenders Ricardo Gardner (captain), Ian Goodison, Claude Davis, Damion Stewart, Tyrone Marshall, Eric Vernan; midfielders Rudolph Austin, Jason Morrison, Jermaine Johnson, Demar Phillips, Omar Daley, Jamal Campbell-Ryce; forwards Marlon King, Dane Richards, Ricardo Fuller and Luton Shelton.

Meantime, Nigeria coach, Shaibu Amodu, has named a 24-man squad for the London showdown. It includes goalkeepers Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide, Dele Aiyenugba; defenders Daniel ****************tu, Joseph Yobo, Obinna Nwaneri, Taiye Taiwo, Chidi Odiah, Adeleye Ayodele, Onyekachi Apam, Olubayo Adefemi; midfielders John Mikel Obi, Kalu Uche, Paul Obiefule, Sani Kaita, Seyi Olofinjana, Femi Ajilore, Yusuf Ayila; forwards Nwankwo Kanu (captain), Ikechukwu Uche, Obinna Nsofor, Osaze Odemwingie, Joseph Akpala, and Michael Eneramo.

According to Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell, he and his Nigerian counterparts agreed to final terms early yesterday afternoon.

Pratley... was sold by Fulham to Swansea for £100,000 in June 2006 and is the club's captain

The game, which will be the fifth meeting between the teams, is scheduled for the 20,000-capacity The Den in south-east London - the home of English League One side Millwall. Kick-off time is 7:30 pm (2:30 pm Jamaica time).

"The game is definitely on, more than 90 per cent I would say. We have wrapped up all the major stuffs and only a few minor details remain to be dealt with," Burrell said from New York where he is attending CONCACAF Executive Committee meetings.

Burrell first conceded that the JFF and the Nigeria Football Association were in negotiations for the possibility of staging the game in England some two weeks ago, but refused to give details then, claiming that "we are at a delicate stage of the negotiations".

In addition to the Nigeria game which will be played on the first FIFA date for 2009, Burrell said he and his team are in vigorous talks with teams from South America, Europe, Africa and Asia for games on other FIFA-sanctioned dates this year.

"I'm confident that we'll have games on these dates because it's very important to the continuance of the development of our programme... I am in discussions with federations from all over the world, including top footballing countries in Asia," said Burrell.

Most of these games, he conceded, will be played overseas as the JFF feels the squeeze of the economic downturn. He however promised that "a number of big matches" will take place inside 'The Office', nonetheless.
    "We will not be leaving out the home fans because they gave unbelievable support in our three World Cup qualifying matches played at the National Stadium. Yes, our first couple of friendly games will be played away, but we have plans to bring a number of big teams to Jamaica...," said the charismatic Burrell.

The other FIFA dates for 2009 are March 28-April 1, June 6-10, August 12, September 5-9, October 10-14 and November 14-18.

Nigeria, ranked 17th by FIFA, were originally due to play west African rivals Ghana on that date, but the latter backed out and opted to play No 15th-ranked Egypt.

The Eagles are getting in shape for their South Africa 2010 Group B World Cup Qualifiers and the African Nations Cup in Angola.

In four meetings between the nations, Jamaica (66th in latest FIFA rankings) have won once, lost twice and drawn once.

In their first meeting in May 2002 in a friendly tournament in England, Nigeria were 1-0 winners. Six months later, the Boyz visited the Africans on the continent and came away with a 0-0 scoreline. In 2003, the Jamaicans hosted the Eagles in Kingston and clipped their wings 3-2. The last meeting was in 2004 in another friendly tournament in England where Nigeria blanked the Boyz 2-0.
    Last edited by Karl; January 16, 2009, 10:05 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Bolstered?...to be determined.
    Looking forward to seeing them especially Pratley.
    It is a 'farin squad',not much chance of showcasing our talented locals, perhaps FIFA(we should assume mathematically sound, yeah right-hi T.K.)silly ranking thingy was considered seeing it came at a very high cost to the boyz starting a few years aback.
    BIG up Demar Phillips and Mr.Omar Daley!!!

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Pratley's father's parents are Jamaican-born.
      Sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuhseeit! Bolstered by players not even Nyamdirt ever hear bout!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah, nuh your coach a lead the drive. Mi hear seh him not even get started with the recruiting yet.

Comment

I'm not like some people on this site. Not because I supported you one minute I'll support you the next, or till the end.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Yuhseeit! Bolstered by players not even Nyamdirt ever hear bout!
              yuh see an endless supply man Mosiah ...

Comment

mi want to know how them Bolster di team?

So when them add man whe live a yard them nah Bolster too?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

hehehehehee

yard man jusss get "a bly" assasin.

Englan man dem "bolster"....
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

What's wrong with looking at the talent that is available to us? Suppose they perform better than who we have currently in the position?

Comment

mi nuh have nothing wrong with them getting a bly. It is just our mentality.

I thought the coaches look to bolter the team everytime, I never know is only when foriegn man get pick him Bolster it. Yes HL you hit it pon head them get a "bly".
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mosiah sure seems to have a problem with it. When Boro was a use a locla team and getting bore up unnuh was a complain same way

Comment

'suppose?"

I never have any confidence wenn more that tree (3) yaaard man deh pan de feel.

Ax Mosiah an gamma if yuh tink a lie mi a tell.

farin player a carry de swing!!
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL Mosiah cannot see that at all if was up to him hue would play or even him bredda..... I knew about partley btw but not the other one at derby .. I guessed claude passed on tha info the the JFF . The Jff should look at derby youth academy..Dunny tell mosiah about nile ranger

Comment

Working...
                            X