X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top-flight tactics sadden Wenger

Top-flight tactics sadden Wenger

Wenger's Arsenal are eight points behind leaders Liverpool

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes the Premier League has become too cautious tactically with teams preferring to defend rather than attack.

Wenger was speaking after Arsenal's 1-0 win over Bolton, who adopted a blanket defensive approach for the game.

"The Premier League has definitely lost something," said Wenger. "When I came in 1996, everybody had a go at you and there was space up and down the flanks.

"Sometimes you lost the game, but you could see more chances than now."

It's important that these teams do not get away with only defending any more

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger

On Saturday Arsenal had to wait for 84 minutes before the winning goal arrived, courtesy of Nicklas Bendtner.

"You go back 10 years and everybody played a strict 4-4-2," added Wenger.
    "This year I can't remember any team coming here with two strikers, except Hull who played like that just at the start.

"It's maybe one of the weaknesses of the top Premier League sides this year that teams have learned only to defend away from home, the leading clubs have all struggled with that - even Manchester United, with all their offensive force.

"What's interesting in the game is that every new problem you face, the teams have to work to find the answer.

"That problem will only be temporary I think because it'll force the teams to work on movement, the technique and the creative side. "It's important that these teams don't get away with only defending any more and they have to start to take risks as well."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

what a breddah can complain about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      what a breddah can complain about everything.

He's very correct in his assessment. I counted seven defensive players excluding the keeper that Tottenham's manager Harry Redknapp used vs Wigan in their 1-0 away loss today. I wonder how Assassin feels bout that since he rates Redknapp as a *TOP* manager in the premiership?

HR's tactics backfired! Any manager that uses that many defensive players against a team like Wigan shouldnt be managing a club in the premiership.

Comment

Why do you characterise his comments as a "complaint"? Maybe it's just an "explanation" of low-scoring games. Even ManU with all their fire power has had a string of low scoring matches...
        Peter R

Comment

or an observation? people cya'an observe again?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well it is a matter that nobody want to be relegated. Why should I play to the opposing team strenght.

EVERYBODY play defensive games when it suits them. If you don't find a strategy to stop the big teams how you going to stay up. See Stoke draw down the mighty liverpool and nearly clip them.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X