• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry's words about another perspective

Sir Alex Ferguson's touching letter to Harry Redknapp
    9/08/2008
    Alex Ferguson

Tough nut Sir Alex Ferguson shows he has a soft side with a compassionate letter to rival manager Harry.

BEFORE Sir Alex Ferguson took off for a well-earned break in France this summer he insisted on writing a touching, personal letter to Harry Redknapp.
    The contents reveal a compassionate side to Ferguson few fans would recognise.
    But it didn’t surprise Redknapp, whose Portsmouth side face Manchester United in today’s Community Shield at Wembley.
    Redknapp’s team went from strength to strength last season, culminating in victory in the FA Cup Final in May.
    But off-the-pitch Harry had to deal with the death of his wife’s twin sister Pat, the mother of Chelsea’s Frank Lampard. Her passing left them all devastated.
    Naturally, those in the football community close to him phoned and passed on their heart felt condolences. But only Ferguson took the time and trouble to write.
    “To be honest, it didn’t really surprise me,” insisted Redknapp.
    “It was a lovely touch. The letter was very personal and a great deal of thought had gone into its contents.
    “He included my wife Sandra, young Frank and the family in general.
    “What’s more, he meant every word of it and that means a great deal to me.
    “But that’s Sir Alex for you. It’s probably a side you don’t see too much but one everyone in football knows about.

“Publicly you see the ruthlessly driven side of a man that wants to win at all costs and that’s what makes him such a successful manager, probably one of the best in the history of the game. He hates losing but as I have
    always said, ‘Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser’.
    “But in truth, you couldn’t meet a more caring and compassionate man.
    “He has time for everyone, let me tell you. If a lower league manager calls him, he will always call them back. If someone is in trouble he is the first on the phone trying to help and if someone passes away in the football community he will think nothing of getting in his car and driving to the other side of the country to attend the funeral.”
    Harry and Fergie have had the odd spats - but nothing that would come close to damaging their close friendship. “He did have the right hump with me when I was at West Ham and they failed to beat us and lost the title to
    Blackburn in ’95,” said Redknapp.
    “I remember he kept throwing on strikers and I kept trying to nullify them by throwing on defenders.
    “And obviously there was our quarter-final victory in the FA Cup at Old Trafford last season. I think he could genuinely see United going on to to win the Treble and we wrecked that.
    “Was he happy? What do you think? He erupted with fury and blamed everyone. But that’s Sir Alex for you. It didn’t stop him congratulating us when we went on to beat Cardiff in the Final.”
    Redknapp admits that playing United is the highlight of his season and it will be no different today when he will be itching to get one over them again.
    “There are massive games in the football calendar and then there is playing Manchester United,” he said. “It’s like playing the FA Cup Final every time you meet them. There’s just something very special about that club.
    “It’s everything. The football, the style, the great players and the history of the club. If there is one team you’re desperate to beat it’s them. And it will be no different on Sunday.
    “If we get a good result against them it will give everyone a lift before our relatively easy opener against Chelsea in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge next Sunday!”
    Where Redknapp does envisage United having a problem is when Ferguson calls time on his managerial career.
    “It’s a great job but you pity the poor so and so who has to follow Sir Alex.
    “For the time being, and while he’s still there, United will remain the team everyone has to beat.”
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"
Working...
X