Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea cracking

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari blames Petr Cech for Fulham draw

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has condemned his side's defensive performance after they threw away a 2-1 advantage against Fulham, and heaped the bulk of responsibility on goalkeeper Petr Cech.

By Emily Benammar
    Last Updated: 10:10PM GMT 29 Dec 2008

Gobsmacked: Petr Cech sits on the floor wondering how Clint Dempsey broke through the Chelsea defence Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Scolari appeared to have heated words with the goalkeeper as his side left the pitch at Craven Cottage, demanding an explanation as to why Clint Dempsey had been allowed space to score his second goal.
    "I asked Petr about the positions for marking players," Scolari said. "I asked Petr because he’s the captain for marking in this area. I give him the power to say this and that in that area. There was one player in the middle of the area free in the last minute, which is incredible."
    Chelsea looked fragile throughout the first half, which Fulham led through Dempsey's first goal. Despite a comeback in the second half, thanks to Frank Lampard scoring his 10th and 11th goals of the season, Scolari's side slumped in the last minute.
    "We made two mistakes and they scored twice,” Scolari said. "Every player knows who to mark when we start a game.
    "It's my job now to ask what happened in this situation. I'm not telling you who was supposed to mark him (Dempsey).
    "We spoke at half-time, who was supposed to be marking who and who was supposed to be covering. After every goal, we try to make sure that doesn't happen again. But, at the corner, we made another mistake."
    While Chelsea succumbed to another draw - their third in the last four matches, top of the League Liverpool thrashed Newcastle to extend their lead to three points.
    Scolari also denied suggestions that he had an altercation with referee Andre Marriner after a Lampard shot looked to have been stopped by the hand of a Fulham player.
    However, the Brazilian vehemently denied any problem, adding that he thought Marriner had in fact given one of the best refereeing displays he had seen this season.
    When asked if words had been exchanged he told the Independent: "No, I was telling him he was the best referee we've had," said Scolari. "Really, I was. This referee and linesmen, if they made a mistake it was one mistake, maximum.

Luiz Felipe Scolari’s Chelsea showdown leaves Didier Drogba’s future unclear

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari became embroiled in an angry meeting with a number of players as an attempt to clear the air following a run of disappointing results descended in to a bitter squabble in which Didier Drogba came in for particular criticism.

By Steve Wilson
    Last Updated: 2:01PM GMT 31 Dec 2008

Angry exchange: Luiz Felipe Scolari was involved in a training ground showdown with Chelsea players with ire expressed towards Didier Drogba Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The Brazilian called the meeting, which lasted almost an hour, to analyse Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Fulham which allowed Liverpool to open a three-point lead at the top of the Premier League.
    However, tempers boiled over amid frank exchanges, according to sources, with Drogba singled out for a perceived negative impact on team-spirit following an interview in France Football magazine. In it he claimed the club did not support him adequately following the death of his grandmother.
    Drogba claimed that he lost his love of the game following his bereavement, though during the meeting a number of players identified Drogba himself as one of the main reasons for a lack of harmony.
    The Daily Mail quote a source within the meeting who says one player accused Drogba of “talking --------”.
    After Drogba’s grandmother died in the summer, the player pointed out, Chelsea hired “a private jet to fly him to the Ivory Coast”.
    Drogba is likely to face official club censure for his outspoken comments.
    The meeting had been designed to address simmering unrest within the squad but appears to have done little more than highlight differences between some squad members and management.
    The disruption could not have come at a worse time for Scolari as his attempts to claim the Premier League title in his first season in England appear to be faltering.
    After an FA Cup third round match with Southend Chelsea travel to Old Trafford for their next Premier League match and defeat there would hand Manchester United, and Liverpool, the initiative in the title race after Chelsea failed to beat any of the other 'Big Four' sides at home.
    Scolari has privately admitted that it has taken him longer to get to grips with a new club and league than he had imagined it might, though despite being under huge pressure to win silverware the club continue to fully support the Brazilian and his methods.
    The ill-tempered meeting and Drogba’s central role in it raise the possibility once more of the striker being sold in the January transfer window.
    Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has publicly stated than none of the squad are for sale but a return of 9 goals for the club in 2008 coupled with the form of Nicolas Anelka and Scolari’s need to raise funds to buy means Drogba may well have his price.
    A figure of £30 million was mentioned during the summer when Drogba looked likely to join former manager Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and a similar amount would be expected by Chelsea were he to leave in January.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

he needs to be careful in what he says in public....player power might bite his backside soon
    “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
    X