RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gerrad in brawl with DJ who refused to play his song.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerrad in brawl with DJ who refused to play his song.

Footballer Steven Gerrard spends the night in cells after nightclub DJ is injured in bar 'brawl'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 5:00 PM on 29th December 2008

The alleged victim of a nightclub brawl for which footballer Steven Gerrard was arrested is a DJ there, police sources confirmed today.
    The Liverpool and England star remains in police custody after the 34-year-old Southport man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

Sources confirmed the man was an employee of the Lounge Inn, in Southport, Merseyside, where the midfielder and five other men were arrested on suspicion of assault in the early hours of today.
    One report claimed the DJ had been attacked when he refused to play a certain record.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, pictured with wife Alex Curran collecting his MBE last year, is being questioned by police over a disturbance in a bar

Gerrard's wife Alex Curran arrives at a Merseyside Police station on the phone today

Gerrard went out with friends just hours after his side's thumping 5-1 victory over Newcastle at St James' Park.

After the game the Reds' captain, who scored twice, hailed his table-topping Liverpool side as the best he has played in.

Gerrard was arrested after a disturbance at the Lounge Inn, a modern restaurant close to the junction of Bold Street and Stanley Street.

The venue converts to a late-night club venue with live music and DJs. No one was available to comment today.
    Today Gerrard's wife Alex Curran, 26, left a coffee shop close to the police station where the father of her two children was being questioned.
    She refused to answer reporters' questions as she walked to her Bentley car and drove off in the opposite direction from the police station, heading towards Liverpool.

The bar was closed this lunchtime but evidence that a fight had taken place inside could be seen through the windows.
    Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor together with shards of broken glass.
    A Bentley car, which is believed to have been parked overnight, remained outside the club with a parking ticket attached.

A nearby newsagent, who did not wish to be named, said he first learned that an assault had taken place when his milkman came into his shop this morning.
    The shopkeeper said: 'My milkman told me that there were police officers and forensics outside the club at about 5.30am after a fight had taken place.

'He didn't know who was involved though and I only found out that Steven Gerrard was reported to have been there when I saw it on the news.

Enlarge
    A Bentley believed to belong to Gerrard remained parked outside the Lounge Inn this morning
    'There was a bit of commotion outside the club at around 11.30pm when I closed up, but I think it was just the usual noise of people standing outside smoking.

'It seemed quite busy in there last night.'

The well-to-do seaside town is a popular destination for wealthy footballers looking for a night out.

Gerrard has been capped by England 70 times and has captained his country on four occasions.

He was made an MBE last year and received an honorary fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University.
    Liverpool's next match is against Preston in the FA Cup on Saturday.

A police spokesman said: 'Merseyside Police is investigating an assault that took place in the early hours of Monday December 29 on Bold Street in Southport.

'At around 2.30am this morning officers attended a disturbance at a licensed premises on Bold Street.

'Six men were arrested on suspicion of section 20 assault on Lord Street.

'The men, four aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, who all come from the Huyton area, a 28-year-old man from Formby and an 18-year-old man from Litherland remain in police custody.

'A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.

'Anyone who saw anything or who has any information is asked to call Merseyside Police or Crimestoppers.'

A trail of blood is visible on the floor of the Lounge Inn this morning after the alleged incident

A Liverpool FC spokesman said the club would not be commenting on the alleged incident.

In April, a court heard Gerrard's father, Paul, tell how the footballer turned to an underworld fixer to stop a gangster from terrorising Gerrard and threatening to shoot him in the legs.
    Mr Gerrard said Liverpool FC provided extra security and he also contacted police during a two-year reign of terror.
    He said his son's luxury car was smashed up and he was chased home from training as criminals attempted to extort large sums of cash from the footballer.
    Twelve months ago Gerrard's wife Alex Curran was held captive by masked men during a robbery at their home in Formby, Merseyside.
    Four men wearing balaclavas raided the property and stole jewellery as the couple's two young daughters Lilly-Ella and Lexie slept upstairs.
    Gerrard was told the news as he left the pitch after leading his team to victory against Marseille in the Champion's League.
    Ms Curran, a model and fashion columnist, was ALSO questioned by police following a fight at the Shangri-La restaurant in Liverpool in August 2006.

No charges were brought.

Print this article
    Read later
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

If we could only support like this

If the RBYZ could only support like this

Location: manchester right, i might not be the only one, but I'm 100% sure that stevie didnt have very much to do with this, he may of been there at 2.30am ( which doesnt bother me in the slightest as he probably stays out at this time at least once a week, but nothing gets mentioned in the press as nothing happened like this ) what i think was something was said by a f*****g s**t stirring bluenose w****r, and a bit of handbags started, gerrard was there and tried to sort it out, but because he is as famous as he is he was dragged in too, now the press have got hold of it, it will be all over the papers and be made out to be some sort of joey barton b*****k's. i reckon it will be sorted within the next few days, and everything will be back to normal so we can carry on our amazing run!!!

COME ON LADS GET BEHIND OUR CAPTAIN!!!!!

Y*N*W*A*

RedLFCFan Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:08 pm
    Member :
    Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:00 pm
    Some people seemed more concerned by the fact he was still out at 0230, than him getting involved in a scuffle and ending up in jail.

I know... and that is a little disturbing! He's an athlete, not the freaking pope! If he wants to go out and have a beer at 2:30 in the morning he can do just that! He's not a role model for your kids, he's not a great scientist with cancer erradicating experiments hanging in the balance and life will still go on whether he's around to live it with us or not.

Sorry but it just seems to me that everyone who is upset he was out at that hour is acting in a very selfish way! Yes, we all love him and we do need him in the team, but to criticise him for living his life the way he wants to it's not only over the top but it's just pathetic!

Instead of supporting him in this time of need most of you are getting all upset that he was out doing what any of us would have done in that situation. He was celebrating. That's all we know. What happened afterwards is all speculations. So have your criticism, say what you want but know that you're wrong. Gerrard needs support, not fingerpointing! God knows we've got plenty of people who do that already!

Oh and on that last note... Kuyt is fantastic!

IraqiRed Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Posts: 11 At this point no one really knows what happened.
    We do know that Gerrard is a pretty straight up, decent sort of bloke.
    Some of us think he should not have been out at 2:30, some of us think that its fine to be out at 2:30. We arent going to all agree one way or another, so just lets sit tight and leave it till some information gets out.
    This discussion topic feels like a harry enfield skit!

afrikana Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 pm
    Posts: 278 Ha ha very true when someone mentioned the number of drama queens in here. Had the same discussion in another thread. Some people are really naive or choose to be ignorant. Footballers have a ball once in a while, sex, women, alcohol the lot..deal with it.

rik da red Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Posts: 265 Is he still in police custody? If he is i am worried. I have got arrested in the past for ABH but it only takes about 6-7 hours to get bail. I just hope this isnt serious

RedBaron Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 pm
    TIA Reserve Team

Location: After you Mr.Hicks.... Well I do not consider myself a drama queen, but having been a police officer..
    1) He has been held for a long time.

2) Having seen a picture on sky of the scene (partial), it seems to show two reasonably pools of blood mixed in with glass...more condusive to a wound rather than a cut.

3) A LFC fan took a picture of him a few minutes(supposedly) before the attack, I'm surprised he hasnt come forward or someone at the nightclub as an eye witness.

If he was a bystander and not the attacker but in the group it is still a serious offence.

Hopefully it will be sorted quickly, and he has no direct participation.

bsolanki Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:34 pm
    TIA Youth Team

Isn't it just fcuking typical. More excuses for the press to beat Liverpool with.

Nobody can comment on whether Gerro is guilty of assault, but i'd bet my flat on him not being guilty of anything - other than self defence.

Most probably some lippy gob****************e giving it large about his wife & the "victim" then probably got a smack of one of Gerro's friends.

It seems every year we have these stories about footballers - rape allegations, more rape allegations, assaults blah de fcuking blah.

Until Stevey G is proved to have done something illegal (which I dont think he will be) he has my 110% support.

He is no Craig Bellamy or Lee Bowyer.

He is a footballer of great stature with too much too lose & thus he becomes an easy target.

YNWA Stevey G

Back to work.

Laters.

Remember the rape allegations against some players who sayed at the Grosvenor Hotel in London, a few years ago?
    That came to nothing, when the police discovered that the woman who made the allegations, had stayed for breakfast.

The headlines mentioned 'England stars in rape allegation', or 'Premiership star in rape allegation'.
    The players involved turned out to be players whom had played for England under 21, but by no means regulars.

The point is, because Gerrard was involved, then it's headline news.
    Gerrard is probably still under arrest, because the police are looking at CCTV, and collating statements.

As to he non-life-threatening injury, i'll probably be a few cuts or a black eye.
    It may also emerge, that the victim was being a gobby so-and-so.

Wait until the end of tomorrow.
    I think this will all blow over.

By the way, does anyone know how long the police can hold Gerrard for, before they have to charge or release him?

Jayrard Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:37 pm

...gerrard was there and tried to sort it out, but because he is as famous as he is he was dragged in too, now the press have got hold of it, it will be all over the papers and be made out to be some sort of joey barton b*****k's. i reckon it will be sorted within the next few days, and everything will be back to normal so we can carry on our amazing run!!!

COME ON LADS GET BEHIND OUR CAPTAIN!!!!!

Y*N*W*A*

I agree with you. No one knows about the situation, but for my opinion, he has a right to be there if boss said you will be in the squad next two weeks. With the level of his fitness, and training programmes at Melwood, hanging out till 2:30 am can't make any damage.

I also agree with someone who say that he shouldn't be there on that time because his responsibility with the club and his role model for children.

But the problem is that he is a victim of media which want to increase their profit. If heading is 'Gerrard was released after he didn't relate with the fight.", it can't call the interest. I think some of you can tell better than me because there are many journalists here.

However, I am another one who get behind him.

RMP Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:38 pm

Location: In a Bohemian Rhapsody They can hold upto 24 hours and if he's not charged by then he'll be released

jtlqasim1 Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:44 pm

showmethemoney wrote:
    Isn't it just fcuking typical. More excuses for the press to beat Liverpool with.

Nobody can comment on whether Gerro is guilty of assault, but i'd bet my flat on him not being guilty of anything - other than self defence.

Most probably some lippy gob****************e giving it large about his wife & the "victim" then probably got a smack of one of Gerro's friends.

It seems every year we have these stories about footballers - rape allegations, more rape allegations, assaults blah de fcuking blah.

Until Stevey G is proved to have done something illegal (which I dont think he will be) he has my 110% support.

He is no Craig Bellamy or Lee Bowyer.

He is a footballer of great stature with too much too lose & thus he becomes an easy target.

YNWA Stevey G

Back to work.

Laters.

Remember the rape allegations against some players who sayed at the Grosvenor Hotel in London, a few years ago?
    That came to nothing, when the police discovered that the woman who made the allegations, had stayed for breakfast.

The headlines mentioned 'England stars in rape allegation', or 'Premiership star in rape allegation'.
    The players involved turned out to be players whom had played for England under 21, but by no means regulars.

The point is, because Gerrard was involved, then it's headline news.
    Gerrard is probably still under arrest, because the police are looking at CCTV, and collating statements.

As to he non-life-threatening injury, i'll probably be a few cuts or a black eye.
    It may also emerge, that the victim was being a gobby so-and-so.

Wait until the end of tomorrow.
    I think this will all blow over.

By the way, does anyone know how long the police can hold Gerrard for, before they have to charge or release him?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's 24 hours.

missyred Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 pm
    TIA Subs Bench

Location: redpool It is 24 hours and anything additional to that being 12 hours has to be by the authorisation of a superintendant or through a magistrate.

bsolanki Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm
    TIA Youth Team

Location: WELLINGBOROUGH, NORTHANTS If the police can hold a suspect for 24 hrs before charging / arrestin, then sometime tomorrow morning, we'll be waking up to the news that Stevie has ben released.

FCLIVERPOOL Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:40 pm
    TIA Youth Team

1. No one knows anything yet, so all these "judgments" are being made on assumptions.

2. Trained , disciplined professionals can benefit from a night out, the same way a disciplined diet can benefit from a pint and chips. It's good for body and mind.

3. when you are a star, certain people will look for any opportunity to bring you down. Especially after said people have had a few pints too many and 20 or so ladies have turned them down in the evening....

4. Stevie G is the man. He has been our greatest player since King Kenny, and in my book at least he is allowed to have a few bad games and make a few mistakes.( I am NOT saying he made any mistakes,but if he did, he is allowed a few "learning experiences" more)

5. While Stevie has often been our saviour,we have a great squad and a great manager, I trust the team.

hear hear

Red_All_My_Life Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 pm
    TIA Youth Team

Location: the paddock i apologise to welsh-scouser for saying "get a life". However I stand by my points.

briankettle Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:56 pm
    TIA Moderator

Posts: 3244 The Phil Collins reference halfway through this tells you how much the press are enjoying the chance to knock the league leaders dring a slow news period:

The Guardian wrote:
    Steven Gerrard held by police over bar-room fight

At the Lounge Inn in Southport today, there were one or two telltale signs of the incident that led to the arrest of England footballer and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard several hours before.

A high-powered sports car – owned, it is thought, by the player – was still parked outside, with a ticket slapped on the frost-covered windscreen.

Inside the bar and restaurant, it was easy for onlookers to make out the mess. On a table near the window were smashed drinks glasses. Drops of blood were splattered beneath a bar stool – evidence, perhaps, for the four detectives who turned up later.

Quite what happened, to whom and how, was still unclear tonight, but by early this evening Gerrard was still in police custody, more than 12 hours after he was picked up by police after a night out to celebrate his team's comprehensive defeat of Newcastle United on Sunday.

According to police, Gerrard was being questioned on suspicion of assault, the alleged victim likely to be a DJ who was spending the evening at the Lounge Inn, a favoured nightspot for celebrities in the genteel seaside town.

One report suggested Gerrard and a group of his friends were involved in some sort of altercation after the man refused to allow the midfielder to play his favourite songs on the sound system.

Gerrard is a big fan of Phil Collins and counts the singer's greatest hits as his favourite album. He is also partial to Coldplay.

But neither the police nor Gerrard's football club were prepared to give any details of the fracas that led to a man being taken to hospital for treatment for cuts to his face. It was also reported that the injured man had lost a tooth.

A spokesman for Merseyside police confirmed the force was investigating an assault that took place at 2.30am on Monday morning. A statement read: "Six men were arrested on suspicion of section 20 assault on Lord Street. The men, four aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, who all come from the Huyton area, a 28-year-old man from Formby and a 18-year-old man from Litherland remain in police custody."

The police added: "A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries."

Gerrard's wife, the model Alex Curran, 26, left a coffee shop close to the police station in Southport, but remained silent about her husband's whereabouts.

The timing of the incident could not come at a worse time for Liverpool FC. The club has a real chance of winning the Premier League – it hasn't claimed the title in 19 years.

On Sunday Gerrard was the club's star player in a 5-1 thrashing of Newcastle, scoring twice, and in interviews after the game he said the club were genuine contenders.

The Lounge Inn is situated in a wealthy area of Southport, off the main shopping thoroughfare of Lord Street with its wrought iron Victorian shopfronts. The area is known as the bridal quarter as it houses a cake shop, wedding planner and bridal wear shops.

At the neighbouring Lucy Briars bridal shop, staff expressed their horror.

"The restaurant and bar are upmarket and a pleasant place to go where you can feel comfortable," said an assistant. "I am surprised Gerrard has been involved in something like this as he always seemed like a nice person."

The sister of the Lounge Inn's co-owner, Dario Curcillo, said: "As far as I know he comes here regularly and it was just a normal night at the bar. I don't know anything about what happened last night." She said her brother was unavailable for comment.

A nearby newsagent said: "My milkman told me that there were police officers and forensics outside the club at about 5.30am after a fight had taken place."

Gerrard, who grew up on Huyton's Bluebell estate, has been capped 70 times for England and has captained his country four times. He was made an MBE last year and an honorary fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008 ... rawl-fight

Our Lady Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 pm
    TIA Youth Team

RedLFCFan Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 pm
    TIA Youth Team

Posts: 167 Liverpool Echo had that very story some 4 hours ago Damn BBC is slow...

ojo Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:16 pm
    TIA New Signing

Location: Liverpool Phil Collins? Sheesh... lock him up until he regains his senses.

Joe69 Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 pm
    TIA Youth Team

what the fcuk was gerrard doing out 2:30am?!maybe 1am after a good victory ,then only to fckin start a fight hmmmm???he's the captain of liverpool he's supposed to represent the club aswell as the city,desrperatly not the behaviour i expect our club captain at the age of 28, ok 20/21 ish in the early years of they're career its going to happen from time to time, but at this point of his career is simply not acceptable, aslo now whilst we are in pole position in the premierleague for the first time since 1996 at this stage,what are insua and darby supposed to think?the guy that they look up to now as they are trying/breaking in to the 1st team,the captain going out on late nights,he's supposed to set an example to them and to the whole of the squad.i just cant believe it such an act of stupidity from stevie G,just hope this isnt true.

How can you come out with that and then deny jumping to conclusions?

dickdastardly Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:27 pm
    TIA Reserve Team

Posts: 687 Yeah, the f**kin' media definitely have their "priorities". Israelis and palestinians are chucking rockets and killing one another and an estimate of 500, 000 odd people are going to be out of work this time next year but hey, spot of bother outside a resturant for a premiership footballer and the f**kin' gobsh*tes in the media go f**kin' ape sh*t. Jesus, stop the f**kin' world I want to get off.

Oh and on this "footballer out at 2:30am" bollocks. Peter Beardsley apparently used to eat a big bag of chocolate buttons before every game, hardly befitting a footballer of his calibre. If Stevie-G was doing a Gazza every weekend I'd be worried, give it a f**kin' rest you lot.

RMP Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 pm
    TIA Legend

Location: In a Bohemian Rhapsody I'm surprise with the response by most of the forumites. I mean we don't know whats going on so why are we saying he's innocent. I'm not saying that he's guilt but its rather stupid to say that Stevie is a saint and he should be released.

Obanite Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:51 pm
    TIA Legend

Yeah, the f**kin' media definitely have their "priorities". Israelis and palestinians are chucking rockets and killing one another and an estimate of 500, 000 odd people are going to be out of work this time next year but hey, spot of bother outside a resturant for a premiership footballer and the f**kin' gobsh*tes in the media go f**kin' ape sh*t. Jesus, stop the f**kin' world I want to get off.

Oh and on this "footballer out at 2:30am" bollocks. Peter Beardsley apparently used to eat a big bag of chocolate buttons before every game, hardly befitting a footballer of his calibre. If Stevie-G was doing a Gazza every weekend I'd be worried, give it a f**kin' rest you lot.

Ah DD, you really are a voice of reason.

And I completely agree with everything you just said.

S.P Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 pm
    TIA Reserve Team

Location: Liverpool I think that this probably couldn't have come at a worse of a time. I am fully aware that Gerrard hasn't been charged with anything an that this has been blown way out of all proportion and a footballer going drinking after a game and getting caught up in a bit of trouble isn't uncommon but with regards to our title campaign I am concerned.
    I know that I am probably gonna appear to be scare-mongering but when I look at Liverpool despite the fact that we have recently been playing really well (5-1 at St. James Park shows that) and that on numerous occasions this season we have shown real fighting spirit and that we are sitting 3 points clear at the top of the table in December but I still see our title hopes as very very fragile.
    The other teams we are fighting against have recent Championships under their belts not one of our players have done that and we require the older heads like Gerrard and Carragher to be a calming presence in the dressing room and to lead by example.
    Gerrard led by example yeasterday scored to goals got an assist and had a excellent game and then he gets himself caught up in "controversy" and gives himself and the football club a load of bad press which we have shown, with last year being a prime example, that we don't cope well with press intrusion. We get enough crap from them without creating our own, all they should be talking about with regards to Liverpool FC is how we battered Newcastle.
    Gerrard is a symbol of everything that is great about our football club, he is from the city, from a working class background, has come up through the ranks, carried this football club for many years and won us countless football matches and trophies. He is the leader of our team and our dressing room, so he should be leading by example.
    I am more than happy for the players to celebrate the victory but in my opinion there is a time and a place, half past two in a bar in the middle of the season ain't it. I don't care what people say about how he is young, had played outstanding, would have hardly had a Christmas due to the fixture list and he should be entitled to a night out. He is in an incredibly privileged position, earns more money in a week that we do in a few years and should be more sensible. It is a one off occurence, I will give him that, but common sense should have told him, if he had to be there, that the second there was even a hint of trouble, to get out of the way of it, get home and get to bed.
    Hopefully this will all blow over he will be released without charge and we can sweep it under the carpet but I just pray that this crap won't come back to haunt us.
    Good Luck Steve YNWA.

Gerrard_08 Post subject: Re: Gerrard Arrested...
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm
    TIA New Signing

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Steven Gerrard spends night in cells after club DJ is injured in bar 'brawl'

By James Tozer and Michael Seamark
      Last updated at 11:41 PM on 29th December 2008

It is the kind of picture for which Steven Gerrard has agreed to pose countless times - a young fan standing next to him to bask in his reflected glory.
      The Liverpool star was visiting a nightclub to celebrate leading his side to a crushing 5-1 victory over Newcastle United on Sunday.
      In blue jumper and open-necked shirt, the 28-year-old father of two looked happy and relaxed. Yet soon afterwards he was in a cell accused of taking part in a violent assault.

Steven Gerrard pictured with a Liverpool fan earlier on in the evening at the Lounge Bar in Southport before Gerrard was arrested

Gerrard, who earns £120,000 a week, was one of six men still in police custody last night after a businessman required hospital treatment for facial injuries.
      Marcus McGee, 34, lost a tooth and suffered cuts and bruises when he was allegedly set upon by the footballer and his friends at about 2am after refusing to play Gerrard's favourite song while acting as a DJ.

More...

Witnesses said Mr McGee, who runs a double-glazing firm, had been behind the bar at the Lounge Inn, a restaurant and bar in the centre of Southport, as a guest of the owner's niece and was in charge of music.

They claimed that Gerrard had asked for a particular tune but was told that it was not club policy to play requests. At that point the footballer allegedly pushed past Mr McGee, catching him with an elbow.
      Super start: Gerrard celebrates one of his two goals at Newcastle

A police source said: 'Mr McGee retaliated and swore at Gerrard, which was when Gerrard's mates turned violent and assaulted him.'
      Friends of the England star insisted he had been reacting to provocation and had thrown no punches himself. Mr McGee was taken to hospital where he received four stitches to his forehead and treatment on a cut nose, swollen eye and a dislodged tooth.

The bar was closed for much of yesterday while damage from the brawl was cleared up. Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor together with shards of glass.
      Gerrard and five friends - all but one from the tough working class Huyton area where he grew up - were arrested on suspicion of assault and ordered to spend the night in the cells at the town's police station.
      It is understood that questioning did not begin until yesterday afternoon.
      Gerrard's glamorous wife, model Alex Curran, 26, arrived during the afternoon wearing grey jeans, black boots and a black fur-trimmed leather jacket. She was herself questioned by police following a fight in the Shangri-La restaurant in Liverpool in August 2006, but no charges were brought.
      After leaving a coffee shop near the police station she refused to answer questions before driving off in her Bentley.
      Another Bentley with a personalised number plate which was parked outside the Lounge Inn with a parking ticket on the windscreen was later picked up by a friend of Gerrard.
      Neither the player's agent nor his club released any statement about the incident yesterday as they waited to find out whether he would be charged.

Liverpool hero: Gerrard holds the European Cup after an epic triumph over AC Milan in 2005

Gerrard used to have a flat in Southport but his rising profile made him a target on nights out and he moved into a £ 3million gated mansion in nearby Formby. He returned to his old haunts, however, following Sunday's victory, after which he gave interviews about the need to 'remain humble, keep our feet on the ground'.
      It is not known if he had been given permission by his manager, although Liverpool's next match is not until Saturday, against Preston in the FA Cup.
      The supporter who had his picture taken with Gerrard shortly before the fight broke out said the footballer was 'in a good mood'.
      The fan, who did not give his name, told ITV news: 'He seemed buoyant. I'm shocked that anything would have happened. I had a chat with him in the toilet and he was chuffed with the victory and it all seemed very nice.'
      The fan added that he left the bar before the fight broke out.

National hero: Gerrard celebrates a goal against Belarus in a World Cup qualifier in October

Merseyside police said six arrests had been made on suspicion of a 'section 20 assault', which carries a maximum sentence of five years. Those in custody apart from Gerrard were four men from Huyton aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, and an 18-year-old from Litherland.

Gerrard is the latest in a long line of footballers to become involved in unsavoury incidents off the pitch.
      Almost exactly a year ago, Joey Barton, who also grew up in Huyton, attacked a passerby after a night out in Liverpool, knocking him to the ground and punching him up to 20 times.

The 25-year-old, who plays for Newcastle United, was given a six-month jail sentence but served less than half - even though at the time of the attack he was on bail for attacking former team-mate Ousmane Dabo during training. He later received a suspended sentence for that offence as well as a 12-game ban.
      In 2002, Chelsea's John Terry stood trial along with teammate Jody Morris accused of attacking a nightclub bouncer. Both were cleared.
      The same year another current England international, Jonathan Woodgate, now of Spurs, was found guilty of affray but cleared of causing grievous bodily harm with intent over a brutal street attack on Asian student Sarfraz Najeib in Leeds.
      His team-mate Lee Bowyer was cleared of causing GBH with intent and affray.

Comment

Working...
      X