RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most underrated player position in football today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most underrated player position in football today....

....would have to be defensive/holding midfielder in my humble opinion. This position has becoming a very very important aspect between a team winning and losing a game. Football has changed alot and now teams depend on this type of player in the middle more than the traditional creative playmaker (#10). This is evidenced by the bigger clubs who will spend exorbitant amounts on these types of players. The following players are some of the best defensive mids Ive seen over the last decade

Roy Keane - Man U
    Patrick Viera - Arsenal/Inter
    Claude Makelele - Real Madrid/Chelsea
    Gennaro Gatuso - Milan
    Marcos Senna - Villareal
    Michael Essien - Chelsea

These players have been extremely influential on their club's success and just shows how important they are in modern football. We need to unearth a player that can fill a role like that in the national set up. Some people say that Austin is the best player there currently but I dont see him as a solid defensive mid that fills that role. Maybe in the future but at present the technical staff should look at some other players to possibly fill that void for the future.

Your thoughts...

Was just thinking the same thing yesterday as I watched Obi Mikel in action for Chelsea. He is a great player and I don't think he gets enough respect.

Locally, there does not seem to be anyone better than Richard Edwards of Harbour View. He has had a great season for Harbour View. If only the refs would stop profiling him and giving him cards when no offence was committed.

Maestro and Lovel might steal the headlines, and they are doing their thing for HVFC, but the steel in the midfield is Shortman!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Was just thinking the same thing yesterday as I watched Obi Mikel in action for Chelsea. He is a great player and I don't think he gets enough respect.

Locally, there does not seem to be anyone better than Richard Edwards of Harbour View. He has had a great season for Harbour View. If only the refs would stop profiling him and giving him cards when no offence was committed.

Maestro and Lovel might steal the headlines, and they are doing their thing for HVFC, but the steel in the midfield is Shortman!

Yea I forgot about Obi Mikel. He is getting better and better and is starting to look comfortable in that holding position not to mention the fact that he is very young and still has time on his side. These type of players are such hard workers in the middle all the off the ball running and tackling they do to either deny opposing players or simply winning the battles in midfield certainly goes unnoticed. On the local side I cannot evaluate any of the players mentioned because I havent seen any of HV games but if Richard Edwards is a good prospect then he should get invited to national setup for the technical staff to have a closer look.

One more player I have to say I have been impressed with in the holding mid position is Liverpool's Xabi Alonso. Very solid player.

Comment

Add Exile to the list.

Comment

to the list of..?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Dis position far fram underrated dem nuh get nuh glamour mention like di skillful one dem, but di good manager dem know di importance an always have one inna dem side. Underrated by di media, kah nuh glamour nuh deh pon it, an yuh need a class playah fi run it, suh ongle di bes one dem get airplay from di media. Di Rifle 'Austin' fit di mold jus fine, him have a rifle of a shot dat mean him can crack it from way out and him is a bust tackle pan di ball, dat ah one ah di most important asset fi dis yah midfieler kah him nah venture up fiel too far most time. Ongle di real special one dem like Viera can venture up fiel wid authority and add glamour to di position.
            Last edited by myYout; December 30, 2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Make Warlord gway. If Austin was trini, him woulda certain bout him.

Shalrie Josephs is also great at this position, pity New England nuh let the go a Scotland when they wanted him.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Obi good but he and Essien play the same position and when they use both a them in the game it takes away from the attack and wide midfield.

Now that Essien is out you can actually see how good Obi is and why there was a big fight.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
                  ....would have to be defensive/holding midfielder in my humble opinion. This position has becoming a very very important aspect between a team winning and losing a game. Football has changed alot and now teams depend on this type of player in the middle more than the traditional creative playmaker (#10). This is evidenced by the bigger clubs who will spend exorbitant amounts on these types of players. The following players are some of the best defensive mids Ive seen over the last decade

Roy Keane - Man U
                  Patrick Viera - Arsenal/Inter
                  Claude Makelele - Real Madrid/Chelsea
                  Gennaro Gatuso - Milan
                  Marcos Senna - Villareal
                  Michael Essien - Chelsea

These players have been extremely influential on their club's success and just shows how important they are in modern football. We need to unearth a player that can fill a role like that in the national set up. Some people say that Austin is the best player there currently but I dont see him as a solid defensive mid that fills that role. Maybe in the future but at present the technical staff should look at some other players to possibly fill that void for the future.

Your thoughts...
                  wa bout diarra of real madrd...di african one.....

Comment

Essien is so versatile, I could and would use both of them on the field at the same time. Didn't need Essien to vank before I saw Obi's quality.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Essien is versitile but with both of them in it limits their movement as both are central midfielders and can easily trip over each other.

Comment

Essien does not have to play central midfield. I would not have both of them in there.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

check last year and see if that was not pretty much what Grant did. Use two central mid.

Comment

you r missing my point. never mind.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo mi get your point. Yes they can co-exist and both play the holding role well.

My point however is that did not happen much last year and they were given pretty much the same role last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X