Memba me tell yuh , nuh worry bout Fulla , Scolari beat him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memba me tell yuh , nuh worry bout Fulla , Scolari beat him

Dis bredda tell a ref wait till a buck yuh in the parking lot.

Luiz Felipe Scolari: If you thought Mourinho was mad...wait till you meet Big Phil

</EM>
    By Andy McSmith
    Friday, 13 June 2008

Getty Images
    Luiz Felipe Scolari: Finally persuaded to overcome his dislike of the British mediaRelated ArticlesSearchSearch Go
    Independent.co.uk Web Bookmark & ShareWhat are these?

Change font size: A | A | A

Big Phil from Brazil is heading our way. Luiz Felipe Scolari has finally been persuaded to overcome his dislike of the British media, and the inconvenience to his family, and assume the post of managing Chelsea Football Club, the west London plaything of the Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich.

His nickname "Big" is as much a tribute to Scolari's character as his physique – both of which will be useful for bossing Chelsea's extravagantly rewarded footballers – who probably thought they had seen the full repertoire of touchline tricks under their former manager "the Special One" Jose Mourinho.
    Even by the game's often eccentric standards, Scolari stands out: forthright, sentimental, hot-tempered and fiercely loyal to his players (unless gay). He cuts a swearing and spitting wildman on the touchline, and has been in hot water for his admiration of Chile's murderous dictator Augusto Pinochet. Devoutly religious, he leads prayer circles, carries iconic statuettes and once required his players to place "holy pebbles" in their socks. Boring, this will not be.
    It is not the first time there has been talk of Scolari moving here. Assorted Englishmen have made attempts to lure him – understandably, since he coached the sides that knocked the national team out of two World Cups: Brazil, in 2002, and Portugal four years later. Portugal also knocked England out of the 2004 European Championships.
    But after much teasing and tempting the Football Association, he announced that he was turning down the opportunity to manage England, declaring that he did not need the kind of press scrutiny that Sven-Goran Eriksson endured. "Last night there were 20 reporters outside my house," he complained. "This is not part of my life and never will be. I will definitely not be a coach of England."
    Manchester City sounded him out as a possible successor to Eriksson, but could not persuade him to leave the Iberian peninsula: it would be disruptive for his two sons, who are students.
    It may also be that he did not fancy facing the British media. He does not much like our journalists, and no doubt will be annoyed (if unsurprised) by the coverage his impending arrival has received. Yesterday's Evening Standard set the tone by announcing that the real boss in the Scolari household is Olga, 58, his wife of 33 years, who is everything a WAG is not meant to be: a biology graduate, trained teacher and, as an accomplished painter, an esteemed member of the San Diego Museum of Arts. Rumour has it that it was she who ordered him to take the Brazilian midfielder Kaka to the 2002 World Cup.
    The Scolaris were childhood sweethearts who met when he was a petrol pump attendant and she a hotel maid. When asked why he had not watched a recorded England match, he replied: "I have a tape of it but I won't be watching it when I get to my house. I want to see my wife – if you know what I mean."
    Chelsea's Bentley-driving players will be excited by the arrival of a big name, following the comparatively anonymous Avram Grant. The new gaffer is unlikely to smile at any camp high jinks: he reportedly declared – jokingly? – in 2002 that: "If I found out that one of my players was gay I would throw him off the team." Condemned by Brazilian gay groups, Phil insisted he was not homophobic: "My friends include people whose sexual preference is different from my own." A simple misunderstanding then.
    Which is more than can be said for his fist fight with a Serbian player last September. If you type the words "Scolari" and "punch" into YouTube's search engine you can relive the moment he landed a jab square on the head of Ivica Dragutinovic.
    Scolari's surprised Serbian target was well able to dodge any further flying ham and but for the restraining hold of other players would have pursued the older coach and lamped him back.
    Instead, he contented himself by mouthing the words Hijo de Puta – Spanish questioning of Scolari's maternal parentage. Scolari's native language is Portuguese, but he understood perfectly. Scolari had been pacing like a caged animal on the touchline, jeered by some of his own supporters. He stormed on to the field to contest a late goal. According to Scolari, he did not start the fight; nor did he actually hit Dragutinovic, and the whole incident was the referee's fault for allowing that goal. Hmmm. "He was going to hit Quaresma and I defended him," he said on Portuguese television. "Ask him if I touched one little hair on his head. Who was to blame out there was the referee. Two metres offside!"
    A Uefa inquiry reached a different conclusion. Scolari was fined £8,000 and banned for four games. He apologised but said his actions were in the best interest of his players. "It wasn't my greatest moment, but I won't let anything happen to my players." Similarly, when his Portugal captain Luis Figo headbutted Holland's Mark van Bommel during the 2006 World Cup in Germany, the Brazilian boss leapt to the defence of his skipper: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."
    Such emotion breeds devotion. His Portugal team hailed him thus: "Luiz is and will always be for us a shining example of leadership, respect and humanism, and will always have our support, especially in this difficult moment. The players of the Portuguese national team are proud to represent the country under the guidance of Luiz Felipe Scolari. We will all fight together for our common objective."
    Born in Passo Fundom, Brazil, in 1948, Scolari played as a defender for a succession of Brazilian football clubs before becoming a team manager in 1982. He became the Brazilian national coach in 2001. He looks – and acts – much like Gene Hackman, the Hollywood star whose grizzled face has enlivened classic films such as Bonnie and Clyde, The French Connection, and the western Unforgiven.
    For the time being, however, all will remain quiet, because Scolari has his hands full guiding the Portugal team through Euro 2008. Chelsea said there would be no further announcement until he takes up his post on 1 July.
    The Chelsea berth is problematic, to say the least. Under the eye of Abramovich, Scolari's Israeli predecessor, Avram Grant, lasted just eight months. His managerial coffin was nailed shut in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, when John Terry missed a penalty and gave the Champions League title to Manchester United. That he failed to bring home a trophy was not the only crime laid at Grant's door. An exasperated press corps complained that he was irredeemably boring.
    That is something they will never say about Big Phil Scolari. The reaction here is not difficult to predict once Scolari lets loose in English about whatever sets his temper alight. He is destined to be a star, for whom 20 journalists outside this front door will be a regular occurrence. So, given how he claims to hate that sort of attention, and the language and cultural barriers he will have to cross, what lured Scolari away from Portugal?
    The answer is simple: money. When his four-year contract with Chelsea is up, he will be a very rich man indeed. His current salary is estimated to be £2.7m a year, of which £1.5m is paid by the Portuguese Football Federation, with the rest coming from corporate sponsorships. Manchester City was prepared to improve on that, but not substantially. Chelsea, however, is the plaything one of the richest men in the world, the Russian tycoon Roman Abramovich. The early reports that Big Phil is to be paid £27m over four years appear to have been slightly exaggerated: the true figure, though, is round about £21m – about double what he is getting in Portugal. If he can make a few more neutral supporters love, rather than detest, Chelsea, his paymaster will consider him worth every penny.
    Interesting? Click here to explore further

Comments22 Comments

I wish all the best for Big Phill, to me he knows how to acquire respect from all team playes. No star, no bs player in the field. He'll get the most of each player on the Chelsea. I been follow Big Phill for the last 15 years of his coaching. He is an Icon for anyone in the world of Soccer.

Brazilian in Texas.

Moses Rib.
    Complain about this comment
    Posted by Moses Rib | 20.06.08, 06:08 GMT

Post a complaint

Please note all fields are required.
    Contact details
    * Name: * Email:
    Scolari is a noble man who works very hard for his money. He is respectful towards everyone, but he won’t put up with BS from anyone. His players must be intelligent, technically gifted and have a winning, courteous, and disciplined mentality or else they don’t play for him at all—and b**chy Prima Donna like footballers generally fair quite poorly with him. A clever and driven man, Scolari won’t settle for anything other than winning the 08/09 EPL Championship, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. You go, Felipão!
    Posted by FD Brasil | 17.06.08, 03:02 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    "I have a tape of it but I won't be watching it when I get to my house. I want to see my wife – if you know what I mean."

hahaha!I LOVE.......Big Phill
    Scolari is perfect for Chelsea.
    Posted by Liriel | 16.06.08, 19:46 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    anwsome report.

nice comments ans some very nice points to discuss "big phil" passage pe londom.

but he was born in "Passo Fundo" not "Passo Fundom" as the report says
    Posted by feliep | 16.06.08, 19:46 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    It is a distortion of words to say that Scolari "admires" General Pinochet. He said that, although there had been a lot of torture, there was no illiteracy in Chile. It is quite unfair to draw out of that sentence such an absolute cost-benefit analysis concluding that the torture had been worth it.

And correcting John H. below, Scolari actually supported another left-wing party candidate, Ciro Gomes, in the 2002 presidential election.
    Posted by Henrique Dolabella | 15.06.08, 23:50 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    I'm a brasilian and i'm a fan of a football team once coached by Big Phill, or Felipão, as i best know him.
    I think there are some managers with better tactical knowledge than Scolari. There are some managers that can hire players and set teams better than he does. But he's the best of the world in motivating his players and creating a team/family atmosphere. I do not know if he will be successful with Chelsea, but i'm sure he didn't accept the job just for the money, and he will, for sure, do his best.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he got some of players he already knows to play for him, some talk about Deco and Ronaldinho, because one of his characteristics is trusting players and those are probably players he trusts.
    The huge amount of money to transfers can be the trick to one of Chelsea's best seasons.
    I'll hope for one ore good job of him, and will support Chelsea a bit more than i did last years.
    My guess for now is a Champions League trophy going to the blues in May 2009...
    Posted by Fernando Caprino | 15.06.08, 23:33 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    Andy Smith, your article on Big Phil is excellent and very entertaining but for the sake of fairness, and for future reference, you need to know that he publicly supported the election of a left wing President in Brasil, Lula, in the 2002 election. His comments on Pinochet were made many, many years before that.
    Posted by John H. | 15.06.08, 12:10 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    OOOOOOOOO you naughty boy!!!"winking"and you are going to work in England? NOBODY informed you the English have this wierd idea that "winking" is a kind of mortal sin!Look at what our kid Ronaldo had to go through!! Although winking is the most natural thing to do in our countries - in England, apparently, it is something one should be punished for!! We will be enjoying from afar how you will come to deal with the many strange (to us) customs of the English! Hope you have the patience but Iguess the millions you will be making will compensate for all that!! Best of luck, FILIPÃO and thanks for years happily spent in our country! M.de Mattos,Cascais,Portugal
    Posted by M.deMattos | 14.06.08, 15:49 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    its the next best thing happening to chelsea after mourinho. What a great coach Jose had been. The british stupidly put him out, he was the icon and the biggest thing premier league has seen. The entire game improved after his arrival . Even Sir Alex had admiotted that.

I wish Phil all the success. Chelsea will be tops again. Thanks a million roman.

from chelsea supporter, pandit sriram muthurattnam from singapore...
    Posted by pandit | 14.06.08, 15:12 GMT

Post a complaint

Contact details
    sfjgsj
    Last edited by Sir X; December 28, 2008, 03:57 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

That said I dont think he will have the time to get the measure of the Prem and it wont be for lack of trying .In this pressurized result orientated league, chelsea will be in turmoil for years because the top 5 clubs have consistency in management and improvements every season.

Mourinho will be at Man City next season, no doubt in my mind.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Scolari punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezzT...eature=related

Comment

Why the man from the Gaucho is certainly not another Mourinho

</EM>
        Sam Wallace, Football Correspondent
        Friday, 13 June 2008

GETTY IMAGES
        Scolari offers his players clearly defined rules which has, in return, brought him an astonishing level of success
        Related Articles

SearchSearch Go
        Independent.co.uk Web Bookmark & Share
        What are these?

Change font size: A | A | A

There is a joke in Portuguese football that the differences between Luiz Felipe Scolari and Jose Mourinho are symbolised by their shaving habits. Big Phil has an unapologetic tea-strainer of a moustache, the archetypal conservative look among Portuguese men of a certain generation and rural Brazilians from the south of that country. Mourinho is a clean-shaven modern European who speaks four languages fluently and doesn't mind letting his hair grow to the kind of length Scolari would consider unacceptable.

What they are really saying is that the Chelsea manager past and Chelsea manager future may come from the same kind of football culture, they may both be part of the great Portuguese-based invasion of English football but they are two entirely different managers, both in character and approach. With the old-school moustache and the bow-legged rolling gait of a battle-worn former pro, Scolari has made his name by speaking to the hearts of his players. Mourinho prefers to speak to his players' minds.
        Chelsea have certainly made good on their promise to appoint a man of substance, someone unafraid to give orders and be tough with the wealthy young men who play for the club. And he will evidently offer a stark contrast to the dithering of the Avram Grant period. But it is the contrast he will offer to Mourinho, the most successful manager in Chelsea history, that is the most fascinating. If they want innovation at Stamford Bridge the locals may be disappointed; if they want passion, energy and touchline histrionics then Scolari is the man and if it delivers the Champions League, Roman Abramovich will not mind how he does it.
        Which is not to say that Mourinho does not like to be popular with his players – indeed that was a cornerstone of his success with Chelsea until the wheels came off in the final few weeks of his time there. Equally Scolari will not want to lose any popularity contests and there are likely to be a couple of those this summer. The two old adversaries, who clashed when Mourinho was Porto manager, are likely to come head-to-head later over players they both hope will be loyal to them, principally Deco, who Barcelona are prepared to sell, and also Ricardo Carvalho, who is a prime target for Mourinho at Internazionale. For those Chelsea players who know both managers, the decision will be between playing for two men with very different styles.
        In his days as a middling central defender in the Sixties and Seventies, playing in Brazilian clubs of varying status but never the very best, Scolari learned an approach to management that has seen him thrive in many different countries. His way is to offer his players leadership, to give them clearly defined rules and make it evident who is inside and who is outside his camp. Having established that at the clubs and teams he has managed, this very average footballer has fashioned an astonishingly successful management career, winning a World Cup, primarily from forging a strong team spirit and urging his players to greater heights.
        He is not, as Mourinho is often referred to as, a laptop manager. There will not be DVDs or performance dossiers for his players to watch in preparation. This is not a man who likes to spend the hours discussing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with his coaching staff – in fact as Portugal manager he has busied himself with sponsors and speaking engagements that his success has brought him. In his first game in charge of the Portugal team – a defeat to Italy on 2 December, 2003 – he picked a 3-5-2 formation that was his preference with the Brazilian and Middle Eastern teams he had coached until then. It was considered a failure, quietly dropped and since then he has stuck with the European formations his players feel more comfortable with.
        Ask most Portuguese what they remember as the most memorable aspect of Scolari's five years in the country outside of the achievements on the pitch and they are likely to mention the flags. Before they hosted Euro 2004, Scolari appealed to the people of Portugal to demonstrate their patriotism by hanging the national flag in the windows of their houses and apartments. They responded on a huge scale and since then the Portuguese flag in the window is a nationwide tradition every time there is an international tournament.
        The simple, straight-talking guy from the "Gaucho" region of Rio Grande do Sul in southern Brazil would not have any truck with Mourinho. Not for him the trendy loafers, the man bags and the metrosexual image fostered by the Portuguese coach.
        The same goes for Scolari's coaching staff. Mourinho had some tough guys around him at Chelsea – his goalkeeping coach Silvinho Louro and the Brazilian Baltemar Brito – but his protégées were the university graduates Rui Faria and Andre Villas Boas. They were the brains of the operation and while they liked to call it on with opposition benches, they never looked like they really wanted a scrap. The same could not be said for Scolari's No 2 Flavio "Murtosa" Teixeira, another moustachioed Gaucho native who looks like a cross between Graham Gooch and a Mexican cowherd. Murtosa has loyally followed his boss to his most exotic coaching jobs in Saudi Arabia, Japan and Kuwait along with Darlan Schneider, the fitness coach and Scolari's nephew.
        In what can only be likened to a Portuguese version of West Side Story, there was once a fabled crossing of paths between Mourinho's staff and Scolari's staff at Lisbon airport at which Murtosa and Brito are understood to have had a full and frank exchange of views.
        Scolari and Mourinho do not get along, a dispute that is usually traced back to the former's perceived bias against Porto players when Mourinho was manager there. In reality it was that Portugal was simply not big enough for both their egos as they accumulated stunning successes in the early part of the decade. Scolari's 2002 World Cup triumph made him one of the most highly-prized coaches in the world. Mourinho won the Uefa Cup with Porto just months before Scolari took the Portugal job in late 2003, then further upstaged him the following May by winning the Champions League.
        The controversy over Scolari choosing not to pick certain Porto players at Euro 2004 did, however, demonstrate his pragmatism as a coach: he changed his mind immediately after losing to Greece in the first group game. He had selected some of Mourinho's Porto players, such as Paulo Ferreira, Costinha and Maniche against Greece but most crucially he had selected the veterans Fernando Couto and Rui Costa ahead of the emergent Carvalho and Deco. For the second game against Russia that decision was reversed and Portugal went all the way to the final.
        In Portugal, Scolari – like Mourinho – is regarded as a lucky coach. The decision to bring on the unfancied Helder Postiga as a substitute against England in the quarter-finals of Euro 2004 who then went on to score an equaliser before eventually Portugal won the game on penalties is often cited in evidence. Scolari talks a lot about his Catholic religion, and is devoted to the cult of Our Lady of Caravaggio in his native Rio Grande do Sul. There is only one person Mourinho worships and he tends to appear to him every morning in the shaving mirror.
        Scolari is descended from the Italian immigrants who left for Brazil at the beginning of the 20th century, hence the Italian passport. His grandfather Luigi moved from Cologna Veneta in northern Italy and he visited the town after the 2002 World Cup finals.
        But in terms of his football influences, Scolari is often considered more Argentine than Brazilian – the country is a greater influence on the part of Brazil from which he comes than the major Brazilian cities further north. He is said to have many of the characteristics of the "Gaucho" including being pao duro which is literally translated as stale bread but means he is tight when it comes to money. Not that money is any longer a concern for this particular "Gaucho".

Comment

Working...
        X