X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy sign Jamaican GK Ricketts

Galaxy sign Jamaican GK Ricketts

Los Angeles Galaxy Media Relations

Donovan Ricketts nearly led the Jamaican national team to the final round of World Cup qualifying. (AP)

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy have signed Jamaican goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, the club announced Tuesday. An experienced goalkeeper at the international level, Ricketts joins the Galaxy after previous stints with Village United of the Digicel Premier League in Jamaica, Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League and Bradford City of League Two in England. Ricketts, 31, will officially be added to the Galaxy's roster, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Clearance (ITC). Per league and team policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.

"I have known Donovan for a number of years as a goalkeeper with the Jamaican National Team and have always been impressed with his physical qualities. After a closer examination of the player, I am absolutely amazed with his abilities both on and off the field," said Galaxy General Manager and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "It is also a position that we felt the need to improve and believe that he will be a great addition to our team and has the potential to be one of the best goalkeepers in MLS."

At 6-foot-4, Rickets is a commanding presence in the box. A member of Jamaica's 1998 World Cup squad as a 21-year-old, Ricketts has made 67 international appearances for his country. He boasts an impressive 11-7-6 record in 24 World Cup qualifying matches, including all eight of Jamaica's games during qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Despite recording three consecutive shutouts at the end of the qualifying campaign, including one in a 1-0 win over Mexico in Kingston, Jamaica on October 10, Ricketts and the Reggae Boyz narrowly missed out on advancing to the final stages of the 2010 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, losing out to Mexico on goal difference. Earlier this month, he helped lead Jamaica to the 2008 Digicel Caribbean Championships where they defeated Grenada 2-0 in the final.

A native of Montego Bay, Jamaica, Rickets started his professional career playing for his hometown club of F.C. Waddadah before signing with Village United, who plays in Jamaica's top league, in 2002. In January 2004, he moved to England, signing with Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League. Ricketts never played a game for Bolton and in July 2004 was signed on loan by League Two side Bradford City, who then signed him on a permanent basis at the end of that season. He spent four years with the Bantams, appearing in more than 115 games for the club before returning to Jamaica to again sign with Village United this summer.

With Christmas just around the corner, fans can still take advantage of the LA Galaxy Holiday pack, a great deal which includes four tickets to the season opener against D.C. United on March 22 at The Home Depot Center, two Galaxy scarves and one holiday card from the Galaxy. Call 1-877-3GALAXY or visit www.lagalaxy.com for more details or to purchase your 2009 Galaxy season seats.

Transaction: LA Galaxy sign goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.
    NAME: Donovan Ricketts
    NUMBER: --
    POSITION: Goalkeeper
    HT: 6-4
    WT: --
    DATE OF BIRTH: June 7, 1977
    HOMETOWN: Montego Bay, Jamaica
    LAST CLUB: Village United (Jamaica)
    NATIONALITY: Jamaica
    ROSTER DESIGNATION: International
    Last edited by Karl; December 25, 2008, 03:20 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I hope it works out for him.

Comment

Congrats Ricketts. Wish you all the best.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

i am intrigued by arena's comments.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

why?

He is always a honest broker. A square but normally say what he believes.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Congrats to Tall P and I think he will do very well at the Galaxy. He will likely be one of their marquee players considering his prowess in CFU and CONCACAF.

I was always amazed that the MLS never went calling for any of our top goalkeepers. I think Wild Boy lawrence could have done well in the MLS had he got the chance. Ricketts' performances in MLS may open the door for others such as Richard McCallum (Waterhouse), Dwayne Miller (HV), Shawn Sawyers (Portmore) and Dwayne Kerr (GC Foster).

Good Luck Tall P.
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Most of our Keepers do not have good enough technique to beat out an American Goalkeeper and take up an International roster spot. Ricketts world class shot making will cause folks to look past the weaker aspects of his game.

Comment

also remmber Ryan Thompson of HV. He is at Tampa University and should graduate next year so let us see if he will make the combine next year.

Comment

How many goalie the US can produce so?

Three in the EPL alone in Frediel, Guzman and Howard, You have one in the championship, Keller and at least two good ones in the MLS. All world class. Most teams can't even find one.

Comment

True, that is the reason most of our keepers do not make it internationally. Better coaching at the youth level is needed.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

because in the past the goalie was the man who was not good enough to play out in the field....

innah merrykah dem run to play goalie because it combines mlb and nfl talents...catching.... nba too to come to think of it. it was the easiest fit....escape to victory...sly stallone...art imitating life...nuff said.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Dat soun right yes. Dem have nuff more great goalkeepers dan ballahs by far, suh a true dat hundred percent. Dem not eben hab nuh great ballah anyway, a suh di ting set fi real

Comment

Big up Tall P, come a long way, an jus NOW a guh show some bwoy seh keepah toppa top class.

Comment

A couple of Ricketts threads over at BigSoccer:

A Jamaican Keeper For Galaxy...

Donovan Ricketts close to reaching Pando/Beckhamania Status?
                            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                            - Xavi

Comment

Even though I don't rate him, I am glad for him. Go do your thing.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X