JFF agrees to clear tax arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF agrees to clear tax arrears

Every time I see this it make my blood boil!! Why is there no word from the former treasures (one being current KSAFA president)? This is utterly disgraceful.

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

JFF agrees to clear tax arrears

Monday, December 22, 2008

THE $8-million tax case against the cash-strapped Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) came to an end last Monday with the federation, in its bid to avoid a lengthy and costly legal battle, agreeing to clear the arrears.

It was revealed in court last week that an agreement had been reached between the tax department and the JFF. The matter was then adjourned sine die.

JFF president Captain Horace Burrell told the Observer that the organisation had made a payment of $500,000 to the tax department just days before the court appearance with an agreement to pay off the outstanding amount in a few months.

"The (back) taxes will be paid off in another few months' time," Burrell told the Observer, as he again expressed disappointment with the "significant liabilities" inherited by the Crenston Boxhill-led administration.

The Observer was reliably informed that the bulk of the $8.1-million arrears ($5.56 for PAYE and $2.5 for Education taxes for the period 2003 to 2006) was incurred during the previous administration.

A "small" portion of the amount, it is believed, was carried over from the tail-end of Captain Horace Burrell's previous tenure. Boxhill succeeded Burrell as president of the federation in November 2003.

Soon after returning unopposed to the presidency of the JFF in November of 2007, Burrell and his new team commenced a forensic audit of the federation's books and found that the organisation was heavily in debt to the tune "of some $100 million".

Including in that is approximately £135,000 (about J$18 million) owed to The FA of England for 9,000 tickets sold when the Reggae Boyz played England in a friendly international in that country in the summer of 2006 at Manchester United's Old Trafford venue.

Part proceeds from the ticket sales were to cover the JFF tour expenses, with the balance of approximately £135,000 to be turned over to The FA, but this was not done.

Consequently, The FA has demanded the repayment of the sum, and after a series of negotiations with the Burrell-led team, the payment was deferred until the South Africa 2010 World Cup Finals.

Also, MVA Management Limited of Britain, sued the JFF for services rendered for the two-match tour of England - which included a game against Ghana - and a judgement of £10,366.75 has been awarded by a British court. That sum is still not paid.

"This has caused us tremendous embarrassment not only at home but in the UK. We will have to try and pay off this amount as we can't allow the good name of Jamaica to be further tarnished," Burrell told the Observer.
    Also, the JFF was sued by Hilton Hotel for just over $1 million owed for a function held there by the previous Boxhill administration, but the suit was withdrawn and the debt settled.
    With the Boyz's failure to qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Finals in South Africa, the federation's financial position worsened from the fallout that had an immediate impact which saw cuts in jobs and a downsizing of its programmes.
    Last edited by Karl; December 23, 2008, 05:19 PM.

Originally posted by Mac View Post
    Every time I see this it make my blood boil!! Why is there no word from the former treasures (one being current KSAFA president)? This is utterly disgraceful.
    I am surprised a criminal investigation was not launched. It is likely the money was pocketed and spent a long time ago.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

That's what they should do. Have the police investigate and who fi get arrested, a suh it go!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl missing today so

'was there corruption'? "how much did he take"
        "Is the JFF trying to frame Boxhill?"
        "Why does the tax department have such a big ego?"

It is in both JLP and PNP

Lazie corruption abound
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Karl missing today so

'was there corruption'? "how much did he take"
          "Is the JFF trying to frame Boxhill?"
          "Why does the tax department have such a big ego?"

It is in both JLP and PNP

Lazie corruption abound
          Thank you for filling in!
          ..and...
          There you have it any match in England first payment to liens held by theFA and MV(whatever )!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X