• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennett eyes possibility of returning to DPL

Bennett eyes possibility of returning to DPL
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, December 21, 2008

FALMOUTH, Trelawny - Jamaica's Angola-based striker, Teafore Bennett, is not ruling out a return to the Digicel Premier League this season if things go well with his negotiations.
    BENNETT... (foreground) Angola-based Jamaican striker
    Bennett, who just completed his first season in the top Angolan league where he helped Atlético Petróleos Luanda to their 14th title and first since 2001, is home on holidays but has little time to rest.
    The much-travelled 28-year-old says he had a great season in Angola but is not ruling out a move from the African continent.
    The Angolan season ended last month and Bennett played in 18 of the 26 league games, scoring nine goals while playing in midfield.
    Bennett, who has played professional club football in the United States, Argentina, Sweden and Malaysia, describe the year in Angola as "a nice season", and told the Sunday Observer that "I learned a lot from them and I hope they learned a lot from me too".
    While he says he has three years left on his contract with Petro Atletico, as the team is sometimes called, the Jamaican, who also played for Village United, says he is always on the lookout for opportunities.
    He says he is not ruling out anything right now and if the right deal comes from the United States, Europe or Jamaica, he is open to any offers.
    The year in Africa, the dreadlocked Bennett says, was beneficial in many ways. He said the experience helped him to improve his game, not just physically, but mentally as well, as he thinks he "is a tougher player" and the "big club experience was an eye opening one".
    Petro Atletico is one of the most popular and successful clubs in Angola and play in a 35,000-seater home stadium.
    Bennett, who told the Sunday Observer a year ago that one of the reasons he took the journey to Africa was that the deal he was offered was the best one on the table, now says he "has no regrets at all, financially. I did very well for myself".
    "This is not the market like England where I would make millions, but I am now in a better position today to take care of my family," he said.
    The former Village United star returned home just prior to the start of the Digicel Caribbean Cup Final, but watched the matches from the side lines.
    He, however, has no ill feelings that he was not called up by new coach John Barnes. Bennett, who has scored four times in his 20 appearances for the Reggae Boyz, is grateful for the exposure he got playing for the national team.
    He was signed by United States club Harrisburg City Islanders six days after scoring against the United States in a 1-1 draw in April 2006 and told the Sunday Observer last week he will support the national programme in anyway
    he can.
    "Only 11 players can take the field at any one time and only 18 can be in the squad," he said, adding that he is being patient and hopes to capitalise when he again gets an opportunity.
    "When I get my chance again to play for the Reggae Boyz, I don't want anyone to have any doubt that I have earned this spot and deserve to be here," he asserted.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Ummm ... making good money so he can take care of his family .. yet he would consider a move back to the NPL? Doing English Lit, I understood the concept of reading between the lines.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It looks like him nuh mind teking a step down and returning to the NPL.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Lazie ...yuh a try sah ! what did you read and find ?

Isnt that a natural step when approaching the retirement age ? Is it something new for footballers to do esp in your own country ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What reading through the lines?

It is plain as day that something is bugging the youth and sometimes players are just not comfortable in a situation.

you soon hear them call him idiot. While I believe in him honoring his contract and DPL might be a backward step sometimes the environment come before football.

I wish him all the best.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Retirement age? He should have at least 3 good years left in his career and him should suck it up and mek a sacrifice. The NPL can ongle pay him crumbs.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

He didnt say now , he said he would return.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Isnt that a natural step when approaching the retirement age ? Is it something new for footballers to do esp in your own country ?
                Retirement age .. at 28?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                X