Eduardo makes his comeback at Underhill after ten months out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eduardo makes his comeback at Underhill after ten months out

Eduardo will make his long-awaited Arsenal comeback in tonight’s Reserve encounter with Portsmouth at Underhill.

The Croatian international has not appeared in red-and-white since suffering a broken leg and dislocated ankle against Birmingham in February but, after extensive rehabilitation, the striker is finally back in competitive contention.

Speaking ahead of Tuesday’s clash with Portsmouth, Reserve team manager Neil Banfield discussed Eduardo’s potential role in the match before paying tribute to Arsenal’s medical staff.

“Eduardo is starting tonight,” said Banfield. “He has trained for the last couple of weeks and he has looked sharper and sharper every time. We’re all delighted that he’s making his return tonight against Portsmouth.

“It is a fantastic boost to have him back. It was a horrific injury and he’s done ever so well. I think it is a credit to Tony Colbert, the whole medical team and the backroom staff who have got him fit. I have seen him train from the first steps he took on what has been a very long road for him and they really have done a great job with him.”

The manager revealed that Eduardo, who is likely to form a strike partnership alongside Carling Cup goalscorer Jay Simpson, is not the only first-team player who could line up against the South-Coast side.

“We have got a very strong young side out,” he said. “We have got Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Lukasz Fabianski, Kieran Gibbs all involved tonight and I think they are all looking forward to playing a game again and readjusting to the Reserve League.

“I can’t see rustiness being a factor at all because the lads have been involved in the FA Youth Cup, the Carling Cup and some have even been involved in the Champions League out in Porto too.”

Simpson’s 76th-minute penalty secured three valuable points for Banfield’s boys in September when the two sides met at Havant and Waterlooville’s Westleigh Park. The Pompey side, boasting the likes of ex-Arsenal favourite Kanu and David Nugent, went close on numerous occasions but Arsenal’s stubborn backline managed to keep them at bay.

Banfield is expecting more of the same from tonight’s opponents especially after their first team’s below-par display against Newcastle United at the weekend.

“Usually when we play against Portsmouth they do send a few senior players down,” the manager said. ”Obviously they had a defeat at the weekend so he might want to see some his fringe players. They have also got some good young players so it will be a tough game whoever they send out tonight.

“We were pleased to get the victory [at Westleigh Park] but we are more concerned about the individual performances within the victory that count.”

The same can be said of tonight’s clash although it is the performance of one particular Croatian international that is the primary focus this time around.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

I watched the game,Eduardo looked quite sharp and played well but came off after 45 minutes with slight hamstring injury.

Comment

Working...
    X