• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherly out at Cornwall; Bucknor in

Bucknor to succeed Dr Weatherly at Cornwall College
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MONTEGO BAY, ST JAMES - The Dr Dean Weatherly era as coach of the Cornwall College daCosta Cup team ended last Thursday after he was removed following a meeting of the school's Sports Development Committee at the school on Orange Street, Montego Bay.
    Weatherly, the most successful coach at the over 100-year-old institution with nine titles including the schoolboys' treble in 2001 in 16 years at the helm, will be replaced by the man who he took over from in 1992, Steve Bucknor.
    The 62-year-old Bucknor himself won six titles at the helm of the 'red and gold standard bearers' in two stints between 1981 and 1991 and also won a treble in 1983.
    When the season starts in September 2009, Bucknor will be returning to full-time schoolboys football coaching for the first time in 18 years, but had part-time stints at several schools including Cedric Titus in Trelawny and St James High several years ago.
    While efforts to contact Denham McIntyre, headmaster at Cornwall College who chaired Thursday's meeting were not successful, it is believed the axe fell after Cornwall College failed to get past the Inter-zone round of the daCosta Cup this season.
    Cornwall, who failed to advance from Zone A in 2006, made it to the semi-finals last year before losing 2-3 to Glenmuir in extra-time at Jarrett Park
    Bucknor, a world-rated umpire who is approaching the end of his international professional cricket career as an official, won the daCosta Cup in 1982 and 1983; the Olivier Shield in 1983; the Ben Francis KO three times (1983, 1984 and 1991) and also won the now defunct Nutrament Shield, played for between the Ben Francis KO and Walker Cup champions in 1984.
    Bucknor, who also had unsuccessful coaching stints at St Elizabeth Technical High and Rusea's High and Weatherly, are members of the school's Sports Development Committee.
    Both men represented the school in the daCosta Cup competition - Bucknor was a goalkeeper between 1962 and 1964 and was part of the winning daCosta Cup and Olivier Shield team in 1963.
    Weatherly, a dentist by profession, played one season at Cornwall as a central defender in 1978 before attending Sixth Form at Munro College where he captained that team both years.
    Weatherly, who took over the Cornwall College team at the start of the 1992 season after Bucknor walked away, took the team to five daCosta cup finals, winning three (1995, 2000 and 2001); the Olivier Shield in 2001 and five of the school's record seven Ben Francis KO titles in 1995, 2000, 2001 and 2003.
    Weatherly, who was also fired as the coach of Digicel Premier League club Village United last month, also reaped success at the senior level taking Violet Kickers to the National Premier League in the 1995-1996 season and the finals of the Jamaica football Federation's Federation Cup all-island knockout in 1999.
    Bucknor coached Seba United when they lost to Violet Kickers in the finals in the 1993-1994 season.
    Cornwall College have won 11 daCosta Cups and 11 Olivier Shield titles, both records.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
    Weatherly, a dentist by profession, played one season at Cornwall as a central defender in 1978 before attending Sixth Form at Munro College where he captained that team both years.
    Really?!? Anyway, Dean is my friend, so to argue this would appear trivial.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"to argue this would appear trivial"

Since when? Wha you think we do pon yah everyday
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rahtid! Mi mussi did lick mi 'ead!

As soon as a come back from lunch, watch how me race up Sickko!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you watch it Sickko a man who have him regular Stew Peas, Breadfruit, ackee and some big lunch, No patty and Boxjuce thing so him will be ready fi you.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Brown stew sliced King fish with rice and peas and home made carrot juice today, just eating it as a matter of fact...
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Dean is my friend too but this is a bad move, a backward step like the one that the JFF made when they brought back Simoes...Bucknor is a relic and a dinosaur but he is coming to the end of his international umpiring career and he wants a job so he called his friends.

As a matter of fact this has been in the making for some time now and this decision wa smade by people with very little spors knowledge but who went to school or are fans of the great 'Gabby'
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Where the heck is Cornwall College anyway? Is it anywhere near the famed St James High?

Who are these guys Weatherly and Bucknor?

What is this thing about an umpire making a bad call to call someone out? I thought that was related to cricket. Do you mean to tell me that an umpire can give a man out in football too? What you saying Siccko?
                "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Yes, I didn't really want to fast in unnu business, but Steve Bucknor?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I guess Weatherly must either go coach munro or Cedric Titus now.

Comment

it tells you where football is in the west. Why not a fresh young coach, who can identify with today's youth?

Comment

I need to give him a call!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X