• Show
Clear All

• Roy Keane quits as Sunderland boss after 100 games in charge

Roy Keane quits as Sunderland boss after 100 games in charge

By Colin Young
    Daily Mail North-East Football Correspondent
    Last updated at 1:12 PM on 04th December 2008
    Roy Keane has walked out on Sunderland.

The tortured Irishman has not been seen on Wearside since the 4-1 thrashing at home to Bolton on Saturday, Sunderland's fifth defeat in their last six league games.
    Chairman Niall Quinn was hoping his former Ireland team-mate would re-consider his decision to walk out after a few days of contemplation, but he has decided to quit after 100 games in charge, the club has confirmed.
    Quinn described it as an amicable parting and, in a club statement, said: “The Board has reluctantly accepted his [Keane's] decision and wish him and his family well for the future.

Scroll down for more

Centre of a storm: Roy Keane has walked away from Sunderland after a turbulent few weeks

"I would like pay thanks to Roy Keane for all his hard work in progressing this Club, lifting its status and growing its worldwide profile.

More...

“Roy deserves huge respect for his contribution and the manner in which he guided the Club from the depths of The Championship back to the Premier League. His winning mentality and singled mindedness were just what this Club needed when Drumaville took over shortly before his arrival.
    Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn says the board has reluctantly accepted Keane's decision to quit

“Roy’s decision to stand aside and allow someone else to take charge of the next chapter sums up his desire to always do what is best for the Club. Even in his departure he has been more concerned for the welfare of the players and his staff than himself."
    Sunderland were bottom of the Championship when he took over the reigns from Quinn and he guided the club to the top of the division, winning promotion in his first season.
    Last season the former Manchester United and Celtic midfielder kept Sunderland up but after an £80million spending spree, his side have struggled in the Barclays Premier League.

After their first home win over Newcastle in 28 years, Sunderland have fallen to the bottom three in the division, below their north-east rivals, and crashed out of the Carling Cup.
    Keane added “I would like to thank my staff, players, Niall Quinn and in particular the fans for their support during my time at Sunderland and I would like to wish the Club every success in the future.”
    Keane, who did not move his family to the region, has been an outspoken and entertaining addition to the league's managers but he has stalled over a new contract to replace the existing one which runs out this season.
    He is first believed to have offered to quit before the Blackburn game last month and was persuaded to stay.

Scroll down for more

Turning up the heat: Johan Elmander scores the fourth in Bolton's 4-1 win at Sunderland on Saturday
    Those rumours surfaced again this week after the abysmal defeat but, despite giving his manager time and space to re-consider, Keane has decided to quit.

Sportsmail understands the players were told this morning that he has left his post.

That means he misses another return to Old Trafford on Saturday.
    The Board will now commence the task of identifying and recruiting a successor and Ricky Sbragia has agreed to take over team manageme
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Last season the former Manchester United and Celtic midfielder kept Sunderland up but after an £80million spending spree, his side have struggled in the Barclays Premier League.

Assasin should he have spent all that money buying forgein talent ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Sunderland has very good players. The level of talent at Sunderland; they deserve to stay up; probably mid table. Keane is a quitter and too hard-headed. He goes to extreme lengths to instill discipline and is obviously not a good man-manager. From Johnny Barnes' talks in the media, I think he may be of similiar ilk. Only time will tell. A person can be the greatest tactician or strategist, but if they cannot manage the various personalities in a squad of 24 players, then he cannot build a good TEAM. Sometimes it is better to hire an intermediary to interface with the players.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I agree he walked too quick, contrary to a man known as a fighter.

Comment

then him nuh buy Trinidad? A nuh foriegn players them?

Many of the players he bought are not English players.

The fact is he could have spend that money better by paying less for some of these players.

9 million for Craig Gordon, A lot for Jones, and many more I don't think was worth it when you are a small club.

Oniel has bought talented English players and he didn't go on a spree like Keanno.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dem man deh like Keane & Keegan are born quitters, why they get big jobs is beyond me.
            Just name brand ting.
            “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
            X