Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports: Phillips joins Boyz

Sports: Phillips joins BoyzTuesday, December 02, 2008
    Demar Phillips of English Premier League club Stoke City will arrive in Jamaica today as the Reggae Boyz continue to bolster their squad ahead of Wednesday's start to the final round of the CFU Digicel Caribbean Championship, which runs until December 15.

The left-winger - who featured prior to and in Jamaica's victories over Mexico (1-0), Honduras (1-0) and Canada (3-0) in their failed bid in the recent semi-finals of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers for South Africa 2010 - will be the only England-based player in the John Barnes-coached squad.

Complete Story ...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

He is a reserve team baller, so it is easy for Stoke to release him for this tournament.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      He is a reserve team baller, so it is easy for Stoke to release him for this tournament.
      Stoke may also want him to have playing time...without using the option of loaning him out?

Win-win situation. Stoke gives him/get him playing time and the JFF/Jamaica gets to use him.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

they can't loan him out he can't get a work permit. His work permit is only with Stoke.

They were willing to loan him out earlier but because of our position he is stuck with their second team
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          they can't loan him out he can't get a work permit. His work permit is only with Stoke.

They were willing to loan him out earlier but because of our position he is stuck with their second team
          What are you saying?
          ...as far as I know he is under contract to Stoke...so an arrangement could be done with his Jamaica club...or elsewhere - on the continent for example!

Last time I looked the football world was huge!

Comment

Karl I think it present a problem. If they loan him out overseas he is no longer the property of Stoke and he require another work permit.

If they loan him out any other team in England he will require another work permit to play for that team.

Stoke don't have the contact that Manu or maybe sheffield United have that they can bury players in Belgium or China and wait a few years. If they could then they would have signed Austin and send him to some other league.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Karl I think it present a problem. If they loan him out overseas he is no longer the property of Stoke and he require another work permit.

If they loan him out any other team in England he will require another work permit to play for that team.

Stoke don't have the contact that Manu or maybe sheffield United have that they can bury players in Belgium or China and wait a few years. If they could then they would have signed Austin and send him to some other league.
              OoooK (does not mean I agree with you. I do not!)...but tell me the good sense behind Stoke keeping him in England inactive?

Comment

he is not inactive, he plays in the second team and in some cup games.

Comment

Working...
                X