• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cesc takes pride in promotion

Cesc takes pride in promotion

(AFP) Monday 24 November 2008

C
    (Reuters)
    Cesc Fabregas said it was a "proud moment" and a "great honour" after being handed the captaincy of Arsenal. The 21-year-old Spain midfielder was chosen by Arsene Wenger on Monday to lead the Gunners in succession to William Gallas after the France defender publicly criticised his team-mates last week.

Fabregas, who will lead the side out in their UEFA Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday, told Arsenal's official website: "It is a great honour for me to captain one of the biggest clubs in the world. It is a proud moment. I know it's a big responsibility but together with my team-mates, I know we have the spirit and commitment to get back to winning ways and fulfil our potential."

Meanwhile Wenger, whose side have lost three of their last four matches, said the burden of responsibility should not fall on Fabregas's shoulders alone. "A successful team has a shared leadership inside the dressing room and he will be one of the leaders but not the only one," the Frenchman said. "It is very important that we share that leadership inside the dressing room."

Gallas, who is set to play against Kiev, was stripped of the club captaincy, fined two weeks' wages and dropped from the squad that lost 3-0 away to Manchester City on Saturday after making several scathing comments about his fellow Arsenal players.

Despite Gallas's demotion, Wenger insisted he hadn't lost respect for the former Marseille star after his outburst and claimed the player still has a future at the club. "William is a player that I rate and a man I rate," Wenger said. "I have a big respect for him. He was working as captain in a very difficult media environment."

Last week Gallas, whose side are now ten points behind English Premier League leaders and London rivals Chelsea, riled his team-mates by echoing the oft-repeated criticism that Arsenal are not physically strong enough to win the title. "We are not brave enough in battle," the centre-back said. "I think we need to be soldiers. We have to be warriors. There are teams who can do it well against us, and we have to be able to face up to these attacks."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X