• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'My son is getting rebellious'

'My son is getting rebellious'
    LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Donovan Duckie - LeVaughn Flynn
    Outgoing technical director of Portmore United, Donovan Duckie, said the club isn't in danger of slumping in form due to his sudden departure.
    Duckie, who was in his first season with the club, delivered his resignation via e-mail yesterday morning to Wayne Sinclair, the club's chairman.
    "Portmore will be fine once they improve their focus," he said. "We've given up the lead on three occasions because we lost focus, but Desmond Smith (U-21) and Linval Dixon (Premier League) are two terrific coaches and they'll be fine."
    Duckie guided Portmore to a record of three wins, four draws and a loss for 13 points and third place in the Digicel Premier League before resigning. However, he was not on the team's bench for the 3-3 draw at Waterhouse on Sunday. Portmore's only loss came last Wednesday in a shock 0-1 home defeat to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]St [COLOR=blue! important]Georges[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], Duckie's former team.
    Duckie added that he resigned because he wanted to spend more time with his son.
    "I'm a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]single [COLOR=blue! important]parent[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] for the past four and a half years now and my son is getting rebellious, his school work is suffering and it's mentally tough on me," Duckie told STAR Sports yesterday.

Port Maria, St Mary
    Duckie, who is from Port Maria, St Mary, said his mother has been taking care of his son since he moved to Kingston in the summer when he accepted the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]job[/COLOR][/COLOR] at Portmore. He said the absence of his son's mother has made things more difficult.
    "My son's mother is in New [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]York[/COLOR][/COLOR] attending medical school and she's been away for over four years," he said. "My mother is elderly and she has to be taking care of him and it's rough on her.
    "When I was at Georges (in Portland) I could just drive home after training as it was just 30 minutes up the road."

Resignation
    Sinclair confirmed he received Duckie's resignation but said little else.
    "We haven't had a chance to discuss it as a board or with Mr Duckie so all I'm prepared to say right now is that he tendered his letter of resignation," Sinclair stated.
    Duckie said there was no animosity behind his departure.
    "Let me make it abundantly clear there is no bad blood between me and anybody at Portmore," he said. "They've been wonderful to me and I've got real close to the players, but after careful consideration I had to make this decision." Duckie said all of his attention will now be on the national U-20 team which he is preparing for CONCACAF qualifiers next month in [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Aruba[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X