X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico back on track(FIFA.com)

Mexico back on track

(FIFA.com) Thursday 2 October 2008

Between 2002 and 2006 Mexico were ever-present in the upper echelons of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. And throughout that period, El Tricolor earned admirers around the globe with their open and attractive football, a style of play that led to a remarkable 21-game unbeaten run and notable displays at major international competitions.

These included reaching the semi-finals at the FIFA Confederations Cup Germany 2005 and victory on home soil in the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Their impressive run of success led to the Mexicans ascending as high as fourth in the World Ranking, and their consistency would also lead eventually to El Tri being seeded in the draw for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, a status they had only previously achieved as hosts of the 1970 and 1986 events.

What comes up
    The Mexicans' exit at the Round of 16 stage on German soil, and changes to the way the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking is calculated, both contrived to send the Aztecas plummeting down the standings and out of the top 20. The way back was to become a struggle for the team, then under the guidance of former striking hero Hugo Sanchez.

Mexico refused to buckle under the pressure, however, Sanchez's charges battling back to finish an impressive third at the 2007 Copa America. This noteworthy feat included a group-stage victory over eventual winners Brazil, and the ranking points earned helped fuel El Tri's charge back into the top ten.

Life appeared to be rosy for the men in green, but Sanchez's men struggled to recapture their Copa form over the following months and sank into a veritable crisis of confidence. This unsteady run of results eventually led to the dismissal of the former Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid centre-forward, and the country's descent all the way to number 32 in the rankings. Interim coach Jesus Ramirez was able to steady the ship during his short reign, though the sprinkling of good results achieved failed to make an immediate impact on their place in the standings.

The Sven effect
    Mexico put their faith in experience when appointing their next permanent coach, opting for well-travelled Swedish supremo Sven-Goran Eriksson. The former England and Manchester City manager boasted successful spells in Portugal, Italy and his homeland, but the pressure was still on to get El Tri back on track - and fast. With very little time to work with his new squad, Eriksson faced his first major challenge: taking on a very strong Honduras side in their opening match of the first group phase of qualifying for South Africa 2010.

In spite of having just one day to put his players through their paces, the Aztecas were able to grind out a vital 2-1 success over their Catracho rivals. The Eriksson era had started promisingly and the good vibes continued with a 3-0 thrashing of Jamaica and a hard-fought 2-1 win over a well-drilled Canada unit.

Under their new coach, Mexico sit proudly atop Group 2 in the North, Central America and Caribbean Zone, and the positive results have already borne fruit. In just two months, El Tricolor have leapt up eight places and now lie in 24th spot in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. And though they have yet to hit the heights of recent years, Mexico are most definitely heading in the right direction.

FIFA World Cup Fantasy and Predictor

Don't forget to sign up to FIFA.com's FIFA World Cup Fantasy and Predictor games to compete against fellow users for some fantastic prizes, including tickets to South Africa 2010.

• --------------------------------------------
    • User comments »

Mexico is a huge underachiever when it comes to the world cup. Withe teams they have had for the past 10 years anything under a semifinal is a failure. I really hope they can turn this around they do have fantastic players on the pitch but have much to show for it

Posted by futbol98, Australia on 03/10/2008 at 04:13
    mexico has the talent the money and now the couch lets see how they do in the hexagoanl it all depends on the away game agenst the usa

Posted by maxballi, USA on 03/10/2008 at 03:10
    Mexico are doing very well, however I admit they are missing a striker since Nery Castillo isnt seeing any playing time. But people must not forget that Mexico won the U-17 World Cup, a squad that had Dos Santos and Carlos Vela, the rest of that squad play in the Mexican league, so they have the talent for the future!!! World champians in 2010!

Posted by YAF714, USA on 03/10/2008 at 03:09
    No matter how terrible Mexico becomes, they will always be better than The United States. Mexico have the ability to compete with nations outside of the north american zone. The United States is like Egypt, and England that can only impress in their respective zone but always fail to accomplish anything beyond their zone. Mexico are naturally talented and they can be skillful like the Europeans, react really fast like the South Americans and can almost match the speed of the Africans. So stop hating on Mexico and lets focus on how to improve our own national team.

Posted by Stike07, USA on 03/10/2008 at 01:40
    they already got past Honduras and in the second time they will already be qualified and im sure they will give playing time to the backups in the team.. Even though all Mexico really needs is a Goalie, Guardado and some forward that can head or control Guardado's passes and u got the formula for success.. lol

Posted by Johny628, Mexico on 03/10/2008 at 01:35
    The Honduras game in this round will not matter because Mexico will have qualified by then and I am going to assume so will have Honduras. Both teams will probably have a bunch of younger players playing so who will care about that result? I know I will no longer care since Mexico will have qualified for the final hexagonal and that is all that matter, not whether they win, lose or draw a game in november that will have no importance as to who qualifies.

Posted by big2mylou, USA on 03/10/2008 at 01:19
    It doesn't matter how good erickson is he can't change how mexico is doing right now. they're at a fall and we'll see how "good" mexico is in the hexagonal group stage. and even before that, they are not getting past Honduras

Posted by olimpia4life, USA on 03/10/2008 at 00:58
    I agree that Mexico is playing a more open style game with Sven at the helm. The style allows Salcido to move forward up the wings, and gives the forwards more of a chance to be creative. I just looked at the rankings again, and I firmly believe Mexico playing there bests, beats every one of those teams ranked 10-20 even if they played there best. Mexico is to talented not to be ranked in the top 15 of the world. they'll be back in the top ten soon enough.
    Posted by big2mylou, USA on 02/10/2008 at 22:35

I like how Eriksson is changing things up a bit, that's what they (Mexico) need. I'm all for Mexico, but in the past and even today, we aren't taking advantage of chances in front of goal. I mean PLEASE SHOOT the BALL, take chances. other than that, we are indeed on the right track so far, My best toward Sven cause I notice a nice change in style.
    Posted by elcedeno9, USA on 02/10/2008 at 22:31

I don't think Mexico has changed their style of playing, I believe they are playing a more dynamic game with Eriksson, more control of the ball, I wished Eriksson was our coach back in the Copa America where the teams do more attacking than defending, this would open up for a more attacking and interesting football for Mexico.
    Posted by Arms1421, USA on 02/10/2008 at 20:22
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X