Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

After taking a long break from coaching and really getting involved with soccer programs, I am proud to say my time off has come to an end. Knowing that I had two boys I knew I had to get involved again. I was talking to a co worker who told me she coached a girls team. I told her I would pass by on friday to see them. Today I was approached by another co worker telling me they needed coaches for a boys team badly. She asked me to stop by.

I stopped by and was instanty introduce to the manager. There were mostly ladies and two guys who normally coach basketball. I could see the excitement that they had someone new who played the game. I was asked if I wanted to run a session. I have never trained elementary kids before but we soon got in a grove. The kids were mainly hispanic and most didn't even have a pair of boots and were inner city kids.

They had fun and it was very good. I am only saying this as there is a chance for some of us to get involve, it is volintary but they pay a about 25-40 bucks for one hour. I say this because this is a chance for some of us to get involve and even certified. Later in the season we do scouting and there is even a convention so I will interested parties updated.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

some kids just got very lucky and they don't know it yet...good luck boss be true to yourself anf and the football you know .... you will be a great asset to any team.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Coaching?

Assasin how does one become a coach? I ask this, because my two sons 10 and 14 are on a team in Stony Brook, Long island where i live. The training and team play is abysmal; Moreover, they play cluelessly that I am left coaching my sons who just started playing and liking soccer this summer on the side lines during games.
      This method of me screaming intructions to my sons sometimes embarasses them,(they told me as much) but as a lover of the beautiful game. I feel compelled to instruct....and screammmmmm... However, I feel if I were to become a coach it might come across much easier...ie my ranting and waving...
      I also feel it annoys the coach as well....my wife keeps on reminding me that me that the team has only one coach....
      Please advise also as a coach. A parent doing what I am doing, although only to his or her children..would this irritate you as the coach of that particular team.
      Last edited by PeeJay; September 24, 2008, 09:54 PM.
      "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

PeeJay you have become a SoccerDad! I can tell you this, some coaches hate it when parents shout instructions at their team from the touchline. I coached Optimist soccer myself for 5 years but gave it up as I had to put more time into studies. I had a few SoccerMoms who were quite loud and interruptive during games. I didn't like it!

Take a look at at the Coaching Forum on this site and you'll be surprised to find some good information. Tilla has about four or five posts which gives tips on coaching the youngsters. Also, T.K. reccomends a DVD on youth coaching. Have a look on that forum.

BTW: good going Sass. Have a good time coaching the kids.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

My former coach who is big in NY recommend this site for the tri state.

http://www.backofthenet.com/

also check
          http://www.nyswysa.org/

As a former player and coach and manager on a local level, I try to keep the criticism to off the field. I admire the American coaches many act very civil and even come togather to choose kids to elevate to the next level and not just kids from their teams.

Sometimes we as parents need to challenge the energy into a positive for the team. Evaluate the coach over time and the parents make a decision or you have the option of moving your kids. Just make sure your kids enjoying the game.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

thanks guys

duly noted...
            "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

worse...a soccer mom!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

PeeJay, you can also volunteer as a youth coach if your community Parks & Rec. Department has a soccer program. I was in your position when I first moved here. I just could not stand by and watch my daughter and the other kids chase the ball so I volunteered. They were so happy that someone who had an idea of the game was coaching. I did it for about 3 to 4 years and won a trophy every year. Eventually I had to give it up because of work and it wasn't a challenge any more. But I enjoyed every minute of it.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

usually this happen if you live in a mixed community.

If it is primarily a black community more than likely they are not interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X