X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore: I'm under no pressure

BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Jamaica's interim national senior football coach, Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, says he is not feeling any pressure as he gets ready to take charge of the Reggae Boyz in their must-win CONCACAF World Cup semi-final round game against Mexico on October 11.

Whitmore was named interim coach for the first two of the three return-round matches after the sacking of Brazilian Rene Simoes following a string of poor results in the first round.

Jamaica are at the bottom of the four-team group with one point after a draw away to Canada and defeats to Mexico and Honduras.

Jamaica will host Honduras on October 15, but Whitmore said the focus must be on beating the Mexicans to keep alive their hopes of advancing to the next round.

John Barnes, the Jamaican-born former England international, will take over as national coach on November 1 and will be on the sidelines for the final game of the round against Canada on November 19.

Whitmore said there were no secrets to his game plans for the Mexico game.

"We must attack, we want the win, we must score goals. We don't know what their plans will be so we must dictate the game," the former attacking midfielder told the Observer on Saturday.

Whitmore, who is starting his second stint as interim coach, added: "We have a lot of work to do and we must prepare well."

To this extent, he said, he had told Captain Horace Burrell, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), the list of players he wanted and said the latter had granted his request.

Whitmore's list of players for the game against Mexico and Honduras includes just three local-based players and sees the recall of defenders Claude Davis and Damion Stewart, as well as midfielders Dane Richards and Jamal Campbell-Ryce and striker Marlon King.

Whitmore, who had been named to replace another former coach, Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, last year, said he is always ready to represent his country any way he can and welcomed the call from the JFF last week.

He said, however, he was not surprised that he was chosen despite the names that were being mentioned for the job. "Nothing comes as a surprise anymore," he said, and added that he was "expecting the call".

He was nonetheless surprised by the firing of Simoes, a close friend of Burrell's, he said, but added that this was the nature of the business and it was up to the president to make tough decisions in the best interest of the programme.

If asked to work with Barnes, Whitmore said he would be ready.

"I can work with anyone," he said, pointing out that he had not accepted an offer to work with Milutinovic as he thought the call should have come from the president of the JFF and not the coach.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

this rings hollow....

I can work with anyone," he said, pointing out that he had not accepted an offer to work with Milutinovic as he thought the call should have come from the president of the JFF and not the coach.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
      "I can work with anyone," he said, pointing out that he had not accepted an offer to work with Milutinovic as he thought the call should have come from the president of the JFF and not the coach.
      Smart, diplomatic answer!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I guess the Interim coach's lack of pretense or a foreign accent leads many to think he is snot smart...one of the better sports interviews in the entire island.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          I guess the Interim coach's lack of pretense or a foreign accent leads many to think he is snot smart...one of the better sports interviews in the entire island.
          Yeah but how would you rate the sports jounalist interviewing him?LOL. Welcome back sir. Where have you been this long time. Also what are your thoughts on the team selected ?

Comment

Accent or no accent, he needs some training in the interview ting. Chuss mi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The fact is last year nuff man did a cuss Whitmore for his behavior at some game in the West and the fact that his side Seba got demoted. Now he is the man?

A bet you if he after three months Tappa would be the man them all put the blame on and say him nuh ready.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't agree. I have to interview the Premier league coaches and some of them either cant answer a simple question or they are so programmed they cant help themselves but spew the hackneyed cliches... Two Harbour View coaches come to kind readily...DV and Lenny as well as more than half the coaches.
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

I don't agree. I have to interview the Premier league coaches and some of them either cant answer a simple question or they are so programmed they cant help themselves but spew the hackneyed cliches... Two Harbour View coaches come to kind readily...DV and Lenny as well as more than half the coaches.
                  Give us your take on Tappa's interviews...and or how he responds to your questions, etc?
                  Thanks!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Tappa always appears thoughtful and he appears to listen to the questions and respond accordingly...he is also refreshingly honest and will say for example when he made mistakes unlike others who will tell you the players did not play to instructions- another of the tired lines.

I am not saying that at times it is not obvious the players are not playing differently from what the coach is saying, we see that all the time and then you have coaches like Maxwell who are always berating players and coaches like Duckie who appears to speak a different language from what the players are accustomed to hearing.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko, Lenny is no longer with HVFC.

We will have to disagree on this one. I cringed when I heard Tappa the other day.

And why yuh bring up Harbour View? Let's not get petty about it, Sickko. DV does much, much better than several coaches out there.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tappa always appears thoughtful and he appears to listen to the questions and respond accordingly...he is also refreshingly honest and will say for example when he made mistakes unlike others who will tell you the players did not play to instructions- another of the tired lines.

I am not saying that at times it is not obvious the players are not playing differently from what the coach is saying, we see that all the time and then you have coaches like Maxwell who are always berating players and coaches like Duckie who appears to speak a different language from what the players are accustomed to hearing.
                        Thank you, boss!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Since Tappa is so "refreshingly honest," please ask him why Jerry Hue is so consistently left out of the squad. And please also remind him that Sean Fraser of Miami FC is ready to represent!
                          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

If you ask him Sickko, I'll promise not to cringe when he answers.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I went deep into the Caves for this answer...If Tappa went to Munro I am sure you would not have a problem with the way he speaks.

I am sure he will get many offers to coach in Brazil as the Brazilians love him like they love the professor
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X