Wenger to name Arsenal's youngest ever side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger to name Arsenal's youngest ever side

Arsène Wenger may name the youngest first-team side in Arsenal’s history for the Carling Cup tie against Sheffield United on Tuesday.

It is now normal for the Frenchman to send out youngsters in this competition however, against the Blades, Alex Song (21), Nicklas Bendtner (20), Johan Djourou (21) and Lukasz Fabianski (23) are likely to be the ‘old heads’.

Wenger intends the field to include a raft of 17, 18 and 19-year-olds. Rising star Jack Wilshere, age 16 years 266 days, is likely to start his first competitive game for the Club. But he may not be the youngest Arsenal player on show. Speaking to Arsenal TV Online on Monday, Wenger suggested he may include first-year scholar Emmanuel Frimpong. He is a full nine days younger than Wilshere.

“There is a possibility [it will be the youngest side ever],” said Wenger. “In the first team there are many players around 20. In the Carling Cup we will keep a few in there but the side will be more between 16 and 19. At Arsenal you can say 20 and 21-year-olds are the experienced players.

“You are likely to see Gavin Hoyte, Abu Ogogu, Aaron Ramsey, Mark Randall, Jack Wilshere, Fran Merida and Carlos Vela. Maybe Bendtner will play. Song, Djourou and Lukasz Fabianski will be the experienced players. But you will have players like Emmanuel Frimpong and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas so it will be a very young side.”
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

...and we speak of development and talk nonsense about leaving the schools...our 16s to 19s out of the mix?

Talk 'bout sending boy fi duh man wuk?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Having looked at the Academy system first hand,it's amazing how these players are nurtured and developed from under 10's all the way up to senior level.We are crying out for a system like that a yard where they identify the best talents from young and nurture and develope the kids we would benefit in the long run.For me there is no better club to develop young players like Arsenal.

Comment

wait deh...yuh comparing arsenal's academy to jc manning cup football side?

most people would say that youhave taken leave of your senses because of that statement...not me...you took leave of your senses awhile back....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
          Having looked at the Academy system first hand,it's amazing how these players are nurtured and developed from under 10's all the way up to senior level.We are crying out for a system like that a yard where they identify the best talents from young and nurture and develope the kids we would benefit in the long run.For me there is no better club to develop young players like Arsenal.
          Big man how unu love jump up and ready fi dis people so.Go back go read the statement weh me mek.I wasn't making a comparison was i? all me a say the youth them a yard would benefit from an academy system.

Comment

ef ami yuh a talk, just mek sure YUH know seh MY comments were directed at karl ef is karl yuh a talk to well....unnuh work dat out 'mongst unnuh self...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

PRICELESS !!

Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

That is why we are considering moving back to London..remember what I said about a top English club offering my son a 2 year academy contract..guaranteed..even though he has just turned 6.. for when he turns U-9??....well..hint hint...:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  wait deh...yuh comparing arsenal's academy to jc manning cup football side?

most people would say that youhave taken leave of your senses because of that statement...not me...you took leave of your senses awhile back....

Yes!
                  Isn't it for us to identify the best talent in each school and within that school create the best academy we can?

...and above that school system - Isn't it out of such a system...Yes, that school system!...that we would identify the best of best and move them into a national academy?

Unnuh too luv tun bline yeye tuh wah God gi unnuh!

--------

...and while you are at it think on how each NPL club should develop to the best of their ability, academies.

---------

Isn't it about improvements at all levels! Well if the high schools could have produced a 15 year old Bolt running 20.00 likle bit 200M...then those same high schools can produce our Wayne Rooneys, Cesc Fabregases, Giovani dos Santos...

Right? (loud shouting at you, "right!")
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

football is incidental to an education that is what our schools are there for academies serve a different purpose....a far different purpose with a far different mission statement.

academies are PROFFESIONAL outfits...wi can barely pay our teachers much less.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      football is incidental to an education that is what our schools are there for academies serve a different purpose....a far different purpose with a far different mission statement.

academies are PROFFESIONAL outfits...wi can barely pay our teachers much less.....

I would think that that lack of money would be a driving force to maximize on uses of our school facilities/resources...but then it could be just me?! (musing! )

Comment

depends on what yuh mean by that... a school is primarily for education to pass yuh CXCs and go to unversity so you can get a good job....schools are not in the BUSINESS of football...

Comment

Working...
                        X