• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All who think Black Managers can walk into jobs

Paul Ince sets example for a generation

By Jeremy Wilson, Football News Correspondent
    Last Updated: 12:38AM GMT 12 Mar 2008

Good record: Macclesfield Town manager Keith Alexander

As Paul Ince guided Milton Keynes Dons to the top of the Division Two table on Monday night with victory at Chesterfield, a new generation of retired black footballers looked on with a mixture of respect and hope.The respect came at seeing one of the finest black English players of recent times continue his excellent start to management, while the hope was wrapped up in the knowledge that Ince could transform the landscape of British football.

If he succeeds, there is the possibility that there will never be a repeat of the 'lost' generation of trailblazing black players, men like John Barnes, Cyrille Regis, Viv Anderson and Luther Blissett, whose coaching careers have been limited by few opportunities.

"Paul Ince will be decisive for many black managers," said Piara Powar, director of the anti-racism campaign group, Kick It Out. "Many of them may have been put off before but, if he's given a fair crack of the whip, they'll be encouraged."

Ince, England's first black captain, cannot understand why so few former black players have made their mark in management. "Other countries have moved on, yet we seem to have our heads stuck in the sand," he said. "Maybe I'm the one now to take it on and be that first Premier League manager."

Ince created his own opening in football management by taking a considerable risk in accepting the Macclesfield job at a time when they were seven points adrift at the bottom of Division Two and looked certain to be relegated from the Football League.

"I thought Paul Ince was bonkers to take Macclesfield, but for Paul it might have been the only way," Anderson said. "It was brave and I take my hat off to him."

It is difficult, though, not to compare the path taken by Ince with his playing contemporaries at Manchester United, Liverpool and England. Roy Keane, Mark Hughes, Gareth Southgate, Gary McAllister, Bryan Robson and Stuart Pearce had the chance to start from a higher position in the pyramid.

"There's prejudice every which way. The majority of owners are white, so it stands to reason," said the former Stockport manager and England midfielder Carlton Palmer. "Life is harder if you're black - you have to be better than the other people around you." Aside from the better known examples, those black managers who have achieved success have tended to stay in the lower divisions.

Macclesfield's Keith Alexander has a good record, but remains at a Division Two club. Former Torquay manager Leroy Rosenior was expected to rapidly climb the ladder after achieving initial success but, at the age of 43, he is now working in the media.

"Chairmen tend to go for people they know," he said. "Relationships are built on first reactions. Some chairmen may find it more difficult to relate to black people. I think it's subconscious and I've talked before about a glass ceiling for black managers.

"We played some great football, got promoted on a shoestring, but it didn't happen for me. There's nothing you can do about outside influences."

Amid the depressing statistics and testimonies, positive steps are being taken. The FA have made high-profile coaching appointments, including Hope Powell as the manager of the England women's team and Noel Blake as FA national coach. The FA's skills programme also has better representation, with 15 per cent of coaches coming from ethnic minorities, while clubs in the Football League have come together to form an advisory group on diversity.

The Professional Footballers' Association have a black coaches forum and point to a rise in the number of black players gaining coaching qualifications, either the Uefa A and Pro-Licence or the certificate in applied management at Warwick University. "The issue is on the agenda and we want to make sure there is a level playing field," Bobby Barnes, the PFA assistant chief executive, said.

There has been talk of copying the 'Rooney rule' in American football, which requires teams in the NFL to interview minority candidates for head coach positions, though the PFA oppose any form of positive discrimination.

"There is a multi-agency approach - we want to remove obstacles," said Brendon Batson, a consultant to the FA. "The numbers don't lie - you feel there's a lack of trust. But, in the same way we battled through as players, we have to overcome this."

Ultimately the power to make change rests in club boardrooms. The real test will be whether there is a significant increase in the number of black managers. "It's not enough just to win the argument," Garth Crooks said, "we must also win hearts and minds."

"Paul Ince will be decisive for many black managers," said Piara Powar, director of the anti-racism campaign group, Kick It Out. "Many of them may have been put off before but, if he's given a fair crack of the whip, they'll be encouraged."

Ince, England's first black captain, cannot understand why so few former black players have made their mark in management. "Other countries have moved on, yet we seem to have our heads stuck in the sand," he said. "Maybe I'm the one now to take it on and be that first Premier League manager."

Ince created his own opening in football management by taking a considerable risk in accepting the Macclesfield job at a time when they were seven points adrift at the bottom of Division Two and looked certain to be relegated from the Football League.

"I thought Paul Ince was bonkers to take Macclesfield, but for Paul it might have been the only way," Anderson said. "It was brave and I take my hat off to him."

It is difficult, though, not to compare the path taken by Ince with his playing contemporaries at Manchester United, Liverpool and England. Roy Keane, Mark Hughes, Gareth Southgate, Gary McAllister, Bryan Robson and Stuart Pearce had the chance to start from a higher position in the pyramid.

"There's prejudice every which way. The majority of owners are white, so it stands to reason," said the former Stockport manager and England midfielder Carlton Palmer. "Life is harder if you're black - you have to be better than the other people around you." Aside from the better known examples, those black managers who have achieved success have tended to stay in the lower divisions.

Macclesfield's Keith Alexander has a good record, but remains at a Division Two club. Former Torquay manager Leroy Rosenior was expected to rapidly climb the ladder after achieving initial success but, at the age of 43, he is now working in the media.

"Chairmen tend to go for people they know," he said. "Relationships are built on first reactions. Some chairmen may find it more difficult to relate to black people. I think it's subconscious and I've talked before about a glass ceiling for black managers.

"We played some great football, got promoted on a shoestring, but it didn't happen for me. There's nothing you can do about outside influences."

Amid the depressing statistics and testimonies, positive steps are being taken. The FA have made high-profile coaching appointments, including Hope Powell as the manager of the England women's team and Noel Blake as FA national coach. The FA's skills programme also has better representation, with 15 per cent of coaches coming from ethnic minorities, while clubs in the Football League have come together to form an advisory group on diversity.

The Professional Footballers' Association have a black coaches forum and point to a rise in the number of black players gaining coaching qualifications, either the Uefa A and Pro-Licence or the certificate in applied management at Warwick University. "The issue is on the agenda and we want to make sure there is a level playing field," Bobby Barnes, the PFA assistant chief executive, said.

There has been talk of copying the 'Rooney rule' in American football, which requires teams in the NFL to interview minority candidates for head coach positions, though the PFA oppose any form of positive discrimination.

"There is a multi-agency approach - we want to remove obstacles," said Brendon Batson, a consultant to the FA. "The numbers don't lie - you feel there's a lack of trust. But, in the same way we battled through as players, we have to overcome this."

Ultimately the power to make change rests in club boardrooms. The real test will be whether there is a significant increase in the number of black managers. "It's not enough just to win the argument," Garth Crooks said, "we must also win hearts and minds."

Case Study 1 Luther Blissett was one of the first black footballers to play in Italy, but his hopes of a ground-breaking impact in management were not realised. As a player, he gained experience abroad, played in every division of the Football League, became an England international and has since completed his coaching qualifications. To date, his only coaching jobs in the Football Leagues were spells at York City and Watford.

"I got my qualifications, started applying for jobs and didn't get interviews. I started applying at 30 and I'm now in my early 50s. People say persevere, but how long can you persevere? I started doing coaching at 17 and always knew that I wanted to stay in the game and contribute something. But eventually, you think, 'Shall I do this forever?' Attitudes have changed in many areas, but in terms of the boardroom and the organisation, there is often not the trust and belief that they can do that job. There's a perception that they can't do things. Some chairmen possibly don't want a black person to be the face of their club. They run the club and make their decisions.

"Statistics say it's getting more difficult. There are fewer English managers in the Premier League, they're taking more jobs in the Championship and it all has a knock-on effect.There needs to be more transparency. You apply for a job in football and you don't know the criteria. It's down to the personal choice of the chairman. All you want to know is that you've had a proper shout. I got the odd letter saying I didn't have the experience. That's the biggest load of rubbish. How do you get the experience if no one gives you a job?"

Case Study 2 Viv Anderson made history when he became the first black player to represent England in 1978. The enormous progress that black players have made over the past three decades, however, has not been replicated in the dug-out.

Anderson's first job in coaching was as player-manager with Barnsley in 1993-94 and he kept them in what is now the Championship. He then moved to Middlesbrough where he spent seven years as assistant to Bryan Robson. In that time, Middlesbrough achieved two promotions and reached two League Cup and one FA Cup finals. Since leaving Middlesbrough in 2001, he has not had another job offer and now runs his own company. "The statistics are scary," Anderson said. "I'm disappointed but not surprised and it's an issue which needs to be addressed. I would say my CV is pretty good, but I've just got on with doing my own thing.

"There's an unconscious racism. Black kids want role models. There were successful black players and the next thing is to have successful black managers. At the moment, they're not getting the opportunity. You get to a level and there are barriers in front of you. It used to be thought that black players were flair players - that you couldn't be in a position of responsibility. They said we couldn't play in the cold, but I used to wear short sleeves and my job was to defend - that was what Brian Clough told me to do. I think there is a preconception now that they can't perform in the boardroom."

So is there a stereotype of black players being good athletes, but perhaps not such good thinkers? "Exactly right," said Anderson.
    Last edited by Karl; September 20, 2008, 08:54 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I hope this puts to rest the idea that John Barnes was lazy, that he didn’t try enough, and that’s why he hasn’t been offered a coaching position since Celtic. But if I know my people, it won't.

And frankly, it was quite disappointing to hear us act no differently from the racists. For them, it’s always going to be we need to try harder, stop blaming chez whitey, you can achieve anything you want to achieve if you put your mind to it or if you work hard enough. But why are we adopting the same attitude? Why are Jamaicans acting as if we don’t face that every single day here? Oh, I know. We don’t have racism, just classism. What is the ra$s difference?! And why are our Jamaican brothers and sisters abroad acting as if things are great, and fair, because they have arrived. Or so they believe!

Now, no one is asking for a handout, because I know that’s the next thing we’ll come with, just like those racists. All we need is fairness. Is that so frikking hard?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

God bless 'merica
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

what is sad is the next generation of black managers depends on the work Paul Ince who's team is at the bottom of the league.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

good article..

Comment

Working...
          X