Players should play like Messi said president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players should play like Messi said president

Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva sparked another footballing controversy on Friday after praising the fighting spirit of Argentina’s players and especially forward Lionel Messi.

Brazil coach Dunga said he would prefer Lula to be more supportive and national team goalkeeper Julio Cesar suggested the president should live in Argentina.

Lula, who upset striker Ronaldo on the eve of the 2006 World Cup by asking if he was fat, told reporters that when Brazil’s forwards lose the ball they expect the defence to clear up after them while Argentina’s players, such as Messi, chase back.

His comments come with Brazil at a low ebb after failing to score in their last three games and dropping to a modest fifth in the South American World Cup qualifying group.

“Every leader behaves differently,” Dunga told reporters, two days before Brazil play a World Cup qualifier in Chile.

“We have great admiration for the president, and the great leader that he is, but logically, at a moment like this, we would have liked his support.”

Brazil’s goalkeeper Julio Cesar was less diplomatic.

“I voted for him and I was very upset, mainly because he gave Messi as an example,” he said.

“He should go and live in Argentina, become an Argentine citizen, resign as president and maybe Brazil will improve in some way or another.”

“I think the president was very unfortunate in these remarks. The president doesn’t think twice before speaking.

“I think a few words of support would give us more strength and motivation on the field, not what he said.”

Lula, a soccer fanatic and self-confessed supporter of Sao Paulo-based club Corinthians, angered Ronaldo on the eve of the last World Cup by asking if he was fat or not.

Lula, whose backing was seen as fundamental in helping Brazil win the right to host the 2014 World Cup, apologised for the comment after Ronaldo made public his disapproval.
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....
Working...
X