Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report Card JA Vs Bahamas

REPORT CARD - JAMAICA VS THE BAHAMAS

René Simoes ... not happy with the performance of the Boyz, especially in the second game.

Hope for players on the outside

GORDON WILLIAMS, Freelance writer

The Reggae Boyz swamped The Bahamas 7-0 and 6-0 in their opening World Cup qualifying round this week in Kingston and Trelawny. Cause to rejoice? Maybe. Or maybe not. The report card, coupling both games, offers a review of Jamaica's performances.

Goalkeeper : Donovan Ricketts hardly broke a sweat in both games. But being out of club contract for a while now, that may not have been a good thing. Competition is everything at this level. It helps nurture perhaps a goalkeeper's greatest asset - confidence. Ricketts needs it for himself to stay sharp and also keep his teammates' belief in him. But The Bahamas failed to provide that test. A couple straight forward saves late in the first game were not enough, and with no announced friendly internationals between now and the next round of qualifiers in August, the jury is still out on Ricketts' true form.
    GRADE B.

DEFENCE: The Bahamas' attack never bothered Jamaica, but there is evidence to indicate that the Boyz still have plenty work to do with this unit. A glimpse at five at the back in the Kingston game, including the 'security blanket' of a sweeper, should earn a longer look by technical director René Simoes, especially against likely opponents Mexico, Honduras and Canada in the next round. Four defenders will not work. Too little quality to carry such heavy responsibility.

Captain Ricardo Gardner and Tyrone Marshall seem the most consistent of the group. Both attacked and scored. But central defender Ian Goodison was too often in the offensive end against The Bahamas and his pace will be tested later.

Jermaine Taylor is still unproven against true quality.

Key: When Jamaica, stressing ball and man movement, lost possession against The Bahamas, the best defenders were sometimes caught out of position in the rotation. Better teams will capitalise. Yet this unit is not responsible for weak opposition like The Bahamas, so it get credit for recording two shut-outs.
    GRADE B.

MIDFIELD: Good effort trying to move the ball and interchange positions. Rudolph Austin appeared solid anchoring the unit.

Demar Phillips was lively in both games and scored in the first. But his technique needs work.

Andy Williams is often the only one providing imagination and the decisive pass, especially in the final third. He scored, too. But the fact that the 'Bomber' walked back into the starting team after three years away suggests the quality is suspect in this group.

Evan Taylor is young, but this is the big stage and the 'special' quality the coach sees in him was not in evidence.

Omar Daley, used as a sub, was aggressive and scored a good goal in the first game.

Richard Langley, a sub in the second game, did little to suggest he will be a force.

The Bahamas hardly pressured this unit, which was given acres of space to roam. A hard, bumpy field in Trelawny did not help the passing game, but a few slick combinations shone through in both games and produced goals. This unit will never have it this easy the rest of the way.
    GRADE C.

FORWARDS: Plenty of goals to go around.
    Luton Shelton and Deon Burton collected a few.

Marlon King, who did not play in the second game, scored, too.

Huge worry is Ricardo Fuller's knee surgery which forced him out of both games.

The Bahamas, however, were woeful. Poor marking and bad tracking offered little resistance to the Boyz' attackers desperate to avenge the defeat to Grenada, pad their statistics and cement places for upcoming qualifiers. Yet it is hard to argue with 13 goals in two games, the bulk by the forwards.
    GRADE B.

COACHING: Job done, but technical director René Simoes was not happy with the performance of the Boyz, especially in the second game. What's clear is that the Brazilian will be looking to make changes for the games to come. Most pressing concern should be the tactical discipline and effort - or lack of - in the second game, where some players appeared happy doing their own thing. Simoes called for a desire to achieve excellence, not just to be good, from his players. There must be hope for players now on the outside looking in.
    GRADE B.

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.

Last edited by Karl; June 21, 2008, 06:42 PM.

The midfield deserve the B more than anyone else. The defense and forward line was C for me.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      The midfield deserve the B more than anyone else. The defense and forward line was C for me.
      Those were my thoughts as well. Also, he knocked Langley who did a credible job.

Comment

Im nuh know ball. I thought Langley had a good game for the time he was on. He showed better first touch, more accurate passing and was making himself available for the passes at all times. I am not sure what the writer was looking for.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

agree with with you 100%... the writer is full of crap... however, he is entitled to his opinion...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Try not to diss this US-based writer. He is a good friend of mine who knows football. Yes, the type with the odd-shaped ball!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"He is a good friend of mine who knows football"

Explain it all

I have been looking for his email address to find out how him no write nothing pon Obrien White yet but can't find it.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I totally disagree with the Langley assessment.

The man come in and bounce the ball couple of times. He pass first and look smooth. He fight back for his ball . I want to see Andy Williams working harder defensively instead of just sitting up front. We take too long to start scoring against bahamas especially after trouncing them 7-0 in the 1st game.

This team is the best off the ball movement I have ever witness in the history of our ball game.

Did we all see the offensive thrive that Bibi brings playing as a midfielder?

Comment

Working...
                X