Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My team is SHOW-OFF (?)

U.S. adjusts roster by releasing 10 players

(AP) - It already has eight goals, so the United States will take less firepower to Barbados than it had in its opening World Cup qualifier.

U.S. manager Bob Bradley released 10 players for Sunday's second-leg match from the squad that beat Barbados 8-0 last weekend in Los Angeles, including Brian Ching, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan - who accounted for five of the goals.

Six of the 10 players that started last Sunday's game were released. Eight of the 10 play in Major League Soccer, which is in the middle of its season.

The team will add players to replace the departed ones, with an announcement expected later this week.

The U.S. players say they will not be complacent in the second leg.
    "They're going to try to jump out on top of us," defender Carlos Bocanegra said Wednesday. "But we'll go out there and impose our game plan again and we're go out there and do a professional job."

Anything short of an 8-0 loss will put the Americans into the semifinal round of CONCACAF qualifying, which begins in August.
    "We still understand that it's important to finish the job," said Bob Bradley, who is coaching the American team in a qualifier for the first time since replacing Bruce Arena.
    Besides Ching, Dempsey and Donovan, also released were defender Steve Cherundolo, midfielders Frankie Hejduk, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan and Pablo Mastroeni and goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Matt Reis.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

They have the depth, can't blame them to expose the fringe players in international competition.

Comment

I was expecting the reserve keeper--not Ricketts to play in the second leg of the Bahamas game.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        I was expecting the reserve keeper--not Ricketts to play in the second leg of the Bahamas game.
        If the US were coming off of a draw and loss to T&T and STVG respectively I would bet that Bradley would have used a full squad in the 2nd leg with Barbados even though the series is effectively over. Simoes is under serious pressure right now from an impatient press and public. He's doing what he as to do to settle any debate regarding his competence. I don't blame him. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

t.k. you make good points... the usa and jamaica are faced with a totally set of circumstances... i commend simoes for his decisions at this stage...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

HL is unable to recognise these totally different set of circumstances. Even if he did, it's much easier to bash Jamaica and her coach.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X