• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five-star Shelton grasps opportunity....No praise from Rene

Five-star Shelton grasps opportunity
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, June 20, 2008

FLORENCE HALL, Trelawny - Luton Shelton only got into the starting team for Jamaica's CONCACAF World Cup qualifying series against the Bahamas due to a knee injury to regular starter Ricardo Fuller. He made full use of it.

After scoring five goals over the two-leg tie, which the Reggae Boyz won 13-0 on aggregate to advance to the semi-final stage, it may be difficult to nudge the Sheffield United player from the starting line-up.

Reggae Boy Luton Shelton eludes a challenge from Bahamas goalkeeper Dwayne Whylly during the second leg of their World Cup Qualifier at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium on Wednesday. Shelton scored a hat-trick in Jamaica's 6-0 win . (Photo: Paul Reid)

Shelton started alongside Marlon King in the first game and Deon Burton in the second game.

The 22-year-old former Harbour View striker who scored a brace in Sunday's first leg in Kingston and a first-half hat-trick in the return leg at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium in Trelawny on Wednesday, said having got the opportunity he wanted to make the best of it.

A speedy player, Shelton, who has played at every level for his country, has had a frustrating run in the national shirt lately, despite being a prolific scorer at club level. However, whenever he gets playing time he tends to find the net on a regular basis for the Reggae Boyz, though those games are usually against the weaker teams.

Minutes after the final whistle on Wednesday, he told the Observer that "I got my chances and I have to take them. It is my dream to play in the World Cup, so I have to get down to business and do what I have to do."

It was not the first time Shelton was facing members of the Bahamas team as the Jamaica Under-23 team was beaten 0-1 in an Olympic Qualifier in Haiti last October, effectively ending their chances of advancing.

Shelton missed more than a handful of chances in that game where the young Reggae Boyz created numerous opportunities.

Asked whether he got redemption with his recent five goals, Fuller said it was "not so much redemption, but the artificial surface (in Haiti) was horrible and difficult to manage, but now we're at home where conditions are much better and this is the World Cup and we have to advance as far as we can go".

After his outstanding performance, Shelton said his confidence level is very high.

"My confidence level is very high right now. Five goals in two games is brilliant so I just have to go out and see if I can get some more for the team," he said.
    Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2008, 02:15 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I have a feeling if Fuller scored 1 goal , it would mean the world to Rene.

Yep against a Fifa 100 team.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Five-star Shelton grasps opportunity
      BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
      Friday, June 20, 2008

FLORENCE HALL, Trelawny - Luton Shelton only got into the starting team for Jamaica's CONCACAF World Cup qualifying series against the Bahamas due to a knee injury to regular starter Ricardo Fuller. He made full use of it.
      After scoring five goals over the two-leg tie, which the Reggae Boyz won 13-0 on aggregate to advance to the semi-final stage, it may be difficult to nudge the Sheffield United player from the starting line-up.
      Reggae Boy Luton Shelton eludes a challenge from Bahamas goalkeeper Dwayne Whylly during the second leg of their World Cup Qualifier at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium on Wednesday. Shelton scored a hat-trick in Jamaica's 6-0 win . (Photo: Paul Reid)
      Shelton started alongside Marlon King in the first game and Deon Burton in the second game.
      The 22-year-old former Harbour View striker who scored a brace in Sunday's first leg in Kingston and a first-half hat-trick in the return leg at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium in Trelawny on Wednesday, said having got the opportunity he wanted to make the best of it.
      A speedy player, Shelton, who has played at every level for his country, has had a frustrating run in the national shirt lately, despite being a prolific scorer at club level. However, whenever he gets playing time he tends to find the net on a regular basis for the Reggae Boyz, though those games are usually against the weaker teams.
      Minutes after the final whistle on Wednesday, he told the Observer that "I got my chances and I have to take them. It is my dream to play in the World Cup, so I have to get down to business and do what I have to do."
      It was not the first time Shelton was facing members of the Bahamas team as the Jamaica Under-23 team was beaten 0-1 in an Olympic Qualifier in Haiti last October, effectively ending their chances of advancing.
      Shelton missed more than a handful of chances in that game where the young Reggae Boyz created numerous opportunities.
      Asked whether he got redemption with his recent five goals, Fuller said it was "not so much redemption, but the artificial surface (in Haiti) was horrible and difficult to manage, but now we're at home where conditions are much better and this is the World Cup and we have to advance as far as we can go".
      After his outstanding performance, Shelton said his confidence level is very high.
      "My confidence level is very high right now. Five goals in two games is brilliant so I just have to go out and see if I can get some more for the team," he said.
      Shelton did make it clear from his very first cap that International ball is very very easy.

Matter of fact he stated club ball was harder.

Comment

Mind lightning strike yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Scaly wasn't one of them that did call him stupid?

Mi remember TK and Princess.

Comment

This writer misses the big picture. He thinks Shelton played brillantly...or at the very least he thinks Shelton put on a high quality performance.
            I do not see it that way. Yes it is great that he scored 5 goals...but 2 where penalties..and the others where tap-ins, excepting for a miss-hit from 14 yards that bounced two or so times before eluding the Bahamian goalkeeper. Sooo those are his goals...and we all admit the quality opposition was poor.

What of his helping the TEAM in maintaining possession?
            What of his bringing his TEAMmates into play?
            What of the number of times he lost the ball = giving it to the opponents - via mis-control, mis-passing, poor shooting?

You see the problem we all have is; how do we guage each player's performance against this crappy opponent?

That guage, I suggest, should be one where in our "mind's eye" we are seeing the performances as they would contribute to TEAM REGGAE BOYZ in performances against - a) Mexico and the USA as we think of qualifying from CONCACAF and b) The Portugal's, Germany's, etc. as we dream of playing in the coming World Cup Finals.

I am sorry but from my days as a lover of KSAFA D-1, and the old All-Island League (Ovaltine...then Craven 'A' league)...through my time as a ref I automatically compare what I am seeing of our players with the tapes (then mainly JBC...then TV and Cable-TV my own not too small library - VHS & Discs and going to matches) of TOP OF THE WORLD quality football. I just cannot help it! ....my mind is always on seeing a future where our REGGAE BOYZ join in at the TOP OF THE WORLD.

It is in that above light that I judge the 'TEAM thinking of our players' as seen through their actions on the field. My "mind's eye" tell me I cannot yet 'rate' this TEAM. I make some judgements on technical ability of our players...arriving at some not yet fully concretized conclusion on most. On the other hand I have firm opinions on a few.

I can say Marlon King is good! "Bibi" Gardener is good! Marshall is good!
            Burton is just about two rungs below those two. Andy is a notch below Burton. The others...at this stage the less said the better. I await seeing them in a REAL MATCH!

Oooh...Ricketts appears to have improved a tremendous amount...(His distribution...still do not know if he is still in "cannot get to high balls to save his life" & "poor command of his area, land".

There you have my take.

..and to return to where I started, Shelton: I do not care if when given time you can put the ball in goal as can Rudd of Holland fame...if you cannot link with and aid TEAM cause, i.e.play TEAM...you...

i) Will not get many chances at goal...

and...

ii) ...as the competition gets nearer asnd nearer to TOP OF THE WORLD you become more and more exposed as USELESS! ...no good! (How are you going to show your goalscoring ability if you are making sure your TEAM cannot get the ball to you...keep possession...and thus give you those opportunities...the number of opportunities at goal you need?)

iii) ...you become a liability - You contribute to giving the ball to the opponents...you become anti-TEAM...playing/acting against TEAM interests.

What is needed by some of us is a count on times the player gives away the ball - puts it out of play; passes it directly to opponent; does not do what should be done and allows opponent to gain possession - e.g. jogging for ball and is outpaced by opponent or holds the ball when clear support TEAMmates were available...not using the passing options and losing the ball/gifting the ball to opponent, etc?

...the higher the quality opposition the more likely there shall be punishment of (supposedly your TEAM) TEAM when you gift away the ball!

So how did Shelton and each of his TEAMmates do when we consider the above?
            POOR?
            FAIR?
            GOOD?
            BRILLIANT?
            Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2008, 02:55 PM.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Pace ongle need di miggle fi get him di ball. Pace ah guh mek some side tink twice membah dat.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                Pace ongle need di miggle fi get him di ball. Pace ah guh mek some side tink twice membah dat.
                Yeah...to close him down quickly...and to have cover for pickingup the ball when he pushes by the first man he meets.

...and as I told Mosiah last year...he shall find as he moves towards the top his speed shall be come 'no so fast'. What did I say -
                10.00 flat man looks fast when running against 11.00 flat man!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If only we used to over-analyse Tappa's performances so.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well said Karl,we just cant guage how good this team is until they play some better opposition. I watch Luton Shelton at Old Trafford playing for Sheffield against Man U,and he had an exellent game, there is definately potential there but he needs to play more. one thing i am absolutely certain of is there is no way we can progress with Goodison and taylor at centre back. Hopefully the coach will get Nosworthy into the squad, play him alongside stew peas or Claude Davis or even Tyrone Marshall. Bahamas didn't ask us too many questions in defence yet we still look like we could concede anytime.

Dunny

Comment

Idiot statement...depends on the team yu playing.

Comment

Eddie Johnson coulda say the smae ting too
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and based on the teams he has played that is the way he sees it...PERHAPS if the teams become tougher to him he will revise his statement accordingly but...that is how he sees it...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Mi si him trouble nuff defence aready, Both Premiership an Concacaf defendah's, an him ability still raw. 'No so fast' mi nuh know how dem a guh duh dat, but when dem do let mi know an mi wi concede to yuh fi sure. Mi nuh si nuh team duh dat yet.

Comment

Pace or Quickness ? myyouth I expect better.. You need pace on whe wings and depending what system you use you need mobile central defenders. Marshall, taylor Goodison are all slow.. They can play but thier ability to recover will be tested.

Comment

Working...
                              X