Boyz in need of sound defenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz in need of sound defenders

Looks like Paul Walker is reading our posts, and him need fi give credit to the forum

The way we play defense, we will struggle big time fi advance to the Hex.
    ----------

Big victory, no story: Reggae Boyz in need of sound defenders
    published: Friday | June 20, 2008

THE Reggae Boyz have successfully made their way past the first phase of World Cup qualification and they have done so in emphatic fashion.

Before the euphoria of high scorelines and the beauty of trampling on one of our neighbours blind us to the truth, let us analyse the performance of our Reggae Boyz.
    Please be reminded, the victory over The Bahamas was almost a done deal even before the opening whistle. Anybody, who pays attention to football in the region, is aware that the football programme in The Bahamas is not yet organised enough to pose any serious threat to the supposed dominance of Jamaica over the Caribbean.

nothing different
    What is different between the so-so performances of the team a few weeks ago and the pace and skill they displayed against The Bahamas?
    Nothing.

I say the team is the same team it was a few weeks ago and, save some confidence from their outings against The Bahamas, they will have just as tough a time getting out of the next phase of qualification as before.

It is important to note that the opponents the Jamaicans had to deal with were almost non-existent. The few feeble attacks they managed to muster were quickly snuffed out by superior physicality, for want of a better word. The Jamaicans never had to dig deep and show what they are made of.

Could afford mistakes
    In fact, the team could afford to abandon the idea of a formation and throw real numbers into attack, without much fear of being hurt for their lack of organisation.
    This can't be done when they play the more organised teams of Canada, Honduras and Mexico.

While the team was faster and stronger than The Bahamas, it will have none of those advantages against better teams. They will have to depend on a better plan, better organisation and a little luck.

Up front, the combination of Ricardo Fuller and Marlon King can be devastating. If Luton Shelton finds his feet, his pace, coming off the bench, can also be quite deadly.

The attacking play of Demar Phillips has been a breath of fresh air but the work rate of Andy Williams is in question. He passes the ball well and can be a threat but, even against The Bahamas, he seemed unimpressive. That hole in the midfield needs to be filled.

Debatable formation
    The question of using two central midfielders is something to debate. I don't have a problem with it and I don't have a big problem with using the players they have been utilising.

Rudolph Austin has been a real find and he should have a long career with the national team if he continues the way he has been playing.

Evon Taylor also seems to be getting better. My initial estimation of him wasn't a good one but I'll have to wait to see. I wish I didn't have to though, since it is quite late in the day.

Where I am really worried is in the organisation at the back. Tyrone Marshall and Ricardo Gardner as the flank defenders are a real plus. However, the combination of Jermaine Taylor and Ian Goodison, or Goodison and anybody, is worrisome at best.

While the stalwart looked fine against the minnows, I don't believe his experience will make up for his obvious lack of pace against quicker teams with attackers, who are also experienced at their trade. He'll be in trouble.

The other choices, Claude Davis and Damion Stewart, are also quite slow and don't give me much faith. The use of the younger, fitter Adrian Reid has lifted my spirits a little but I'm still not satisfied and, if there is no improvement, I'm afraid the prognosis isn't good.

Send feedback to Paul-Andre.Walker@gleanerjm.com.
    Last edited by Karl; June 20, 2008, 09:39 AM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Truth be told, Pepe has played much better than J.Taylor, and the fact he seems to be roaming(often acting as if he is a forward)may suggest at the very least he is in better physical condition than I first imagined.
    We do need defenders.

Luton role on the starting team is unique;Fuller and King can't even tie Shelton's shoe lace in that regard.
    Ricketts deserves credit for saving that shot, it required adhering to proper technique and flawless execution.
    We need to play friendly games against a few quality opponents, so we may expose whatever defense problems and OTHERs we may have, we need to tour Brazil.

Blessed

Blessed

Comment

Pepe is the only man I would have recalled from the 98 crew.My only hope is that we grow from strength to strength.

Simoes targets next opponents, leaves for Canada game
      BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
      Friday, June 20, 2008

FLORENCE HALL, Trelawny - With the Bahamas hurdle safely negotiated, Jamaica's technical director Rene Simoes has turned his attention to Canada, whom he expects will be the country's first opponents in the next round of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying campaign in August.
      SIMOES...expects tough semi-final round against Canada, Mexico and Honduras
      After the Reggae Boyz's return-leg 6-0 thumping of the Bahamas at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium Wednesday to complete a 13-0 aggregate win over the two legs, Simoes left the island yesterday for Montreal, Canada, to watch the home team who will take a 3-0 lead into their return-leg play-off against St Vincent & the Grenadines.
      At a post-match press conference on Wednesday, Simoes said he was expecting a tough semi-final round where the Reggae Boyz are expected to be grouped with Canada, Mexico and Honduras.
      Without any FIFA-sanctioned game dates between now and the start of the next round of matches, Simoes said he will not be able to get his full squad until three days before the game against Canada, slated for Montreal on August 20.
      The Brazilian, who was not impressed with the performance of the team on Wednesday, said his coaching staff would be analysing their performance over the last five games before deciding if there were any changes necessary before the start of the next round.
      Two camps with mostly local-based players will be organised in July and August, Simoes said, but he added that details were still to be worked out by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), including practice matches.
      Neider dos Santos, the Brazilian who conditions the Bahamas team, said while he expects the Reggae Boyz to advance to the World Cup, CONCACAF has got tougher and things will not be easy.
      "Jamaica has quality players and a quality coach, but the task ahead is not easy," dos Santos told the press conference.
      He said with three-and-a-half spots available to the confederation, the half spot would be a play-off with the fifth-placed team from the South American Confederation, and not the Asian Confederation, as previously obtained.
      Dos Santos said the Jamaican players "will have to play at the very maximum" level of their talents as now "the big dogs start meeting".
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

This article is one to 'bookmark'. It will be interesting to see what the writer says as we go along.

Andy Williams was unimpressive?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Scrimage lovely scrimage - Its not just me that saw it

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
          Looks like Paul Walker is reading our posts, and him need fi give credit to the forum

The way we play defense, we will struggle big time fi advance to the Hex.
          ----------

Big victory, no story: Reggae Boyz in need of sound defenders
          published: Friday | June 20, 2008

THE Reggae Boyz have successfully made their way past the first phase of World Cup qualification and they have done so in emphatic fashion.

Before the euphoria of high scorelines and the beauty of trampling on one of our neighbours blind us to the truth, let us analyse the performance of our Reggae Boyz.
          Please be reminded, the victory over The Bahamas was almost a done deal even before the opening whistle. Anybody, who pays attention to football in the region, is aware that the football programme in The Bahamas is not yet organised enough to pose any serious threat to the supposed dominance of Jamaica over the Caribbean.

nothing different
          What is different between the so-so performances of the team a few weeks ago and the pace and skill they displayed against The Bahamas?
          Nothing.

I say the team is the same team it was a few weeks ago and, save some confidence from their outings against The Bahamas, they will have just as tough a time getting out of the next phase of qualification as before.

It is important to note that the opponents the Jamaicans had to deal with were almost non-existent. The few feeble attacks they managed to muster were quickly snuffed out by superior physicality, for want of a better word. The Jamaicans never had to dig deep and show what they are made of.

Could afford mistakes
          In fact, the team could afford to abandon the idea of a formation and throw real numbers into attack, without much fear of being hurt for their lack of organisation.
          This can't be done when they play the more organised teams of Canada, Honduras and Mexico.

While the team was faster and stronger than The Bahamas, it will have none of those advantages against better teams. They will have to depend on a better plan, better organisation and a little luck.

Up front, the combination of Ricardo Fuller and Marlon King can be devastating. If Luton Shelton finds his feet, his pace, coming off the bench, can also be quite deadly.

The attacking play of Demar Phillips has been a breath of fresh air but the work rate of Andy Williams is in question. He passes the ball well and can be a threat but, even against The Bahamas, he seemed unimpressive. That hole in the midfield needs to be filled.

Debatable formation
          The question of using two central midfielders is something to debate. I don't have a problem with it and I don't have a big problem with using the players they have been utilising.

Rudolph Austin has been a real find and he should have a long career with the national team if he continues the way he has been playing.

Evon Taylor also seems to be getting better. My initial estimation of him wasn't a good one but I'll have to wait to see. I wish I didn't have to though, since it is quite late in the day.

Where I am really worried is in the organisation at the back. Tyrone Marshall and Ricardo Gardner as the flank defenders are a real plus. However, the combination of Jermaine Taylor and Ian Goodison, or Goodison and anybody, is worrisome at best.

While the stalwart looked fine against the minnows, I don't believe his experience will make up for his obvious lack of pace against quicker teams with attackers, who are also experienced at their trade. He'll be in trouble.

The other choices, Claude Davis and Damion Stewart, are also quite slow and don't give me much faith. The use of the younger, fitter Adrian Reid has lifted my spirits a little but I'm still not satisfied and, if there is no improvement, I'm afraid the prognosis isn't good.

Send feedback to Paul-Andre.Walker@gleanerjm.com.
          ... How can professionals play scrimmage in a word cup match?
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            This article is one to 'bookmark'. It will be interesting to see what the writer says as we go along.

Andy Williams was unimpressive?
            Yes Karl, the writer is either blind or did not see the game. Andy was a difference maker. Anyone could see that.

Comment

Pepe ah di bess defendah wi produce ah yard fi years widout tears. An simoes ah guh live an die wid him. Wi nuh have nuh defendah ah yard or foreign bettah dan di Sowjah. Position, Man marking and tackling ah him forte. Suh dem writah yah jus love talk him ah nuh know ball

Comment

. . .and the fact he seems to be roaming(often acting as if he is a forward)may suggest at the very least he is in better physical condition than I first imagined.
                Or it might be a case of lack of tactical awareness. He run up there and then can't get back to cover his position. Let us try that with teams which are better than the Bahamas. Dawg nyam wi suppa.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                  Pepe ah di bess defendah wi produce ah yard fi years widout tears. An simoes ah guh live an die wid him. Wi nuh have nuh defendah ah yard or foreign bettah dan di Sowjah. Position, Man marking and tackling ah him forte. Suh dem writah yah jus love talk him ah nuh know ball
                  Mi nuh know who know ball vs who nuh know ball but unfortunately if Pepe, at his age, is our best defender in 2008 we are screwed. - T.K.
                  No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

All now mi can't hear anything bout Shavar Thomas. Lets see if Simoes will make the right decisions, or if he has become a tuff head and will rely on the aging veteran defender and the error prone youngster.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                    X