Thuram and Makelele end international careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thuram and Makelele end international careers

ZURICH, June 17 (Reuters) - Defender Lilian Thuram and midfielder Claude Makelele announced their international retirements after France were eliminated from Euro 2008 following their 2-0 defeat by Italy on Tuesday.

The 36-year-old Thuram, who won a record 142 caps but did not play on Tuesday, was the only member of the Euro 2008 squad to have started the 3-0 final win over Brazil at the 1998 World Cup.

'That's the end of my career for France and of a very important part of my life,' Thuram told reporters. 'There's a lot of sadness.'

Makelele, 35, won his 71st cap in the Group C game.

'This tournament was my last for France,' he said.

Widely regarded as one of the world's best holding midfielders, Makelele never won a major trophy for France.

His best achievement was being part of the team defeated by Italy at the 2006 World Cup final in Germany.

'To have been allowed to wear France's colours, that's my trophy,' said Makelele.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

yuh mean it was ended for them ...... a shame to see 2 great players go out in ignominy like this...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      yuh mean it was ended for them ...... a shame to see 2 great players go out in ignominy like this...
      The French coach wasn't brave enough. Makelele slowed down the French attack way too much and the coach didn't see the need to give Diarra a run.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

French coach lose him mind. Evra on bench? Thuram? Makalele when you pressing for a win?

Comment

Yeah I think the French coach was out of step all tournament long. My biggest gripes with him was that he played Benzema out of position, played Ribery out of position, and left Nasri on the bench. He just never had a good feel for his team at all I feel. - T.K.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
          X