X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of our football...

Dear forumites,

I have a few questions to ask ....

1. How do you feel about the progress of our current Reggaeboyz team?

2. Do you think we have improved somewhat? Are we looking like we can get to the semifinal round? How about the future of our teams and players?

3. What is your opinion of Rene Simoes and his technical staff? Are they competent enough? Do you think they instill confidence in the players?

4. If there were other viable options for coaching, who would you choose and why?

5. Do you think the coaching staff are not giving the right players a look into the team set up? ie. Nyron Noseworthy and others

6. Would you buy into Simoes "Jesus Saves" philosophy on how this team can win?

Reggae-Fan... use ur brain fi answer di question. mi nuh need verbal diarrhea from u.
    Last edited by Warlord; June 13, 2008, 12:40 AM.

No doubt we have more players playing abroad than...., so the expectation is high.
    That is improvement, even so we should've been better(the Nosworthy...would've made..).
    Again the Nosworthy matter suggests they were anything but competent.

I personally wonder if Whitmore could do more with this squad than the acclaimed Simoes.

Blessed

Comment

1) We experienced a lapse in real progress under the leadership of Crentso9n Boxhill. during that time, the Reggae Boyz played very few games at home in Kingston, and lost heavily in a couple other games played outside (6-0 and 5-0 vs England and Australia respectively, and 4-1 vs Ghana). We also got knocked out of the Caribbean cup, and consequently missed the gold cup, and failed to make the Hex in the WCQ under Burrell's guidance. We also lost 8-0 to Iran during that time under Bora, and suffered some humiliating defeats to teams in Asia (Vitename etc). Since burrells return, we have hosted a number of games in the Office, beat Guatemala and El Salvador, Beat St. vincent, tied costa Rica, tied T&T..and lost to Grenada. all in all, there has been marked progress since Burrell returned to office.

2) Can we make the second round? Sure we can, as can any other team in our group.

3) Rene Simoes, in my mind, is a good fit for the role of Jamaica's TD. He is the type of "blue-collar" coach that our football needs. Sadly, we dont have a solid club structure in place, so we need guys who are willing to come in and roll up their sleevs and get the job done. Sorry, as high profile as Bora was, he was never going to succeed in Jamaica's football. Lazaroni could perhaps have done better of given more time. I dont see why our players would have any reason to respect Simoes any less than they would respect any other coach.

4) There are many coaches out there, but how many of them would fit in with the Jamaica football landscape? I believe simoes is back here only because he wants o be here, and because he has had success working with us in the past.

5) You probably read to much into the "JESUS SAVES" messages on the t-shirts. If anything, it shows that Simoes is a religious person.
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        No doubt we have more players playing abroad than...., so the expectation is high.
        That is improvement, even so we should've been better(the Nosworthy...would've made..).
        Again the Nosworthy matter suggests they were anything but competent.

I personally wonder if Whitmore could do more with this squad than the acclaimed Simoes.

Blessed
        From a technical level and in terms of professionalism, I would agree that we should be somewhat better and expectation is high but many of our players are players do not seem to be infinitely better with the exception of a few.

Nyron situation is very complicated. He may be waiting on an England call or maybe Simoes isnt giving him a chance to play for watever reason. I still think he's an exceptional player and would help solve the defensive issues wit this team. He should been in this squad a long time ago.

Your last comment whether Whitmore can do a better job than Simoes may be a question that we will never know. It is possible, but many posters here are too caught up wit the Simoes nostalgia to even envision change at this point.

Comment

[quote=Reggae-Fan;107605]1)
          We experienced a lapse in real progress under the leadership of Crentso9n Boxhill. during that time, the Reggae Boyz played very few games at home in Kingston, and lost heavily in a couple other games played outside (6-0 and 5-0 vs England and Australia respectively, and 4-1 vs Ghana). We also got knocked out of the Caribbean cup, and consequently missed the gold cup, and failed to make the Hex in the WCQ under Burrell's guidance. We also lost 8-0 to Iran during that time under Bora, and suffered some humiliating defeats to teams in Asia (Vitename etc). Since burrells return, we have hosted a number of games in the Office, beat Guatemala and El Salvador, Beat St. vincent, tied costa Rica, tied T&T..and lost to Grenada. all in all, there has been marked progress since Burrell returned to office.
          I agree under Boxhill this team took 10 steps backwards. There was no structure and no real leadership not to mention that as a nation we werent getting the type of respect that we had earned in Concacaf previously.

Now what is different about today? Not that much, we still arent getting the respect, ( quality teams that are shunning us) and not to mention that we have not really seen improvement in results and team play. Could it be that we dont have that much talent as we think we do? We still have alot of deficiencies in all areas. Were not scoring alot of goals, dont have real creativity in midefield and our defense is a bit porous. Simoes has looked at players but he hasnt looked at solutions at all.

2)
          Can we make the second round? Sure we can, as can any other team in our group.
          Not sure about semifinal round just yet. I suppose any team can but even if we do, we will have problems against the seeded teams in Concacaf. Simoes doesnt have an answer for better opposition.

3)
          Rene Simoes, in my mind, is a good fit for the role of Jamaica's TD. He is the type of "blue-collar" coach that our football needs. Sadly, we dont have a solid club structure in place, so we need guys who are willing to come in and roll up their sleevs and get the job done. Sorry, as high profile as Bora was, he was never going to succeed in Jamaica's football. Lazaroni could perhaps have done better of given more time. I dont see why our players would have any reason to respect Simoes any less than they would respect any other coach

Simoes has no internantional pedigree to go on. Outside of taking us to the WC he has failed at every men's national team he has coached at. His resume at international football speaks for itself. Lazaroni wouldnt have done much better either, but bring in a coach like who has proper international credentials, and he would make this team of players look infinitely better. They would be more structure, team organization and improved football knowledge amongst our players. The only problem is that an international coach will cost alot of money, but i see it as a major investment in our football for the future so I can live wit that.

4)
          There are many coaches out there, but how many of them would fit in with the Jamaica football landscape? I believe simoes is back here only because he wants o be here, and because he has had success working with us in the past.
          You would be very surprised at what a good international coach can do wit this team? Ive seen. Never mind the "Jesus Saves" argument, Simoes is here for the money. I watched his attitude when he left us and went on to coach trinidad. He fed them the same philosophy about not being in it for the money but when they were late on his paychecks, he was talking about it all the time.

Now i respect wat he has done in the past for us and i will always be greatful for going to France but this is 2008 not 1998. Football has moved on from then. We are trying to get to South Africa. The road is more difficult now.

5)
          You probably read to much into the "JESUS SAVES" messages on the t-shirts. If anything, it shows that Simoes is a religious person.

Yes it could mean he is a religious person, or it can also mean that he uses that to play on people's emotions. I could wear a 'Jesus Saves' shirt too...does that mean im automatically religious? Jesus nuh quarrel fi money.

Comment

in my opinion we have the right man in charge,he knows what it takes to get us to the world cup.i like is management methods and the way he earns the respect of his players,having spoken to people like robbie earl and fitzroy simpson these boys are season pros. and if them say the boss top notch who am i to argue.my only gripe is we got the wrong players at the centre of wi defence.we will get away with it now,but when the real thing start. i would expect fi see claude davis,nyron nosworthy,tyrone marshall,damion stewart come into the reckoning.jamaica as never had it so good. with the pool of players we have to select from we should be at the business end of the qualifiers.

Dunny

Comment

Yes, it will be a challenge for the JFF to convince high-quality teams to come to Jamaica, but I dont neccesarily think that its that much harder today than it was in the past to get games. Many countries will gladly send a squad to Kingston IF they can be guaranteed a fair appearance fee. Nigeria recently was asking US$70K to travel to Kingston (Crenston couldnt come up with the money then)....the same amount of money the JFF pay to bring teams like Guatemala and El Salvador to Kingston. Jamaica recently played agaianst Switzerland...we were ranked in the high 90s, we played Chile, also while we were ranked in the high 90s. Ghana gave us a game while we were in teh 90's, so too did Australia.

Like I said, you might have read too much into Simoes shirt message. He might have won a few "religious" Jamaicans into supporting team reggae-boyz...it doesnt make him less effective as a coach.
              President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

The boyz are about where I expect them to be given the lack of preparation for the qualifiers. This team should have been playing together for more than a year to prepare, but this is what we have so we have to deal with it.

I can't really say if we have improved or not just yet as the team has yet to gel. I'm concerned about our lack of focus for the whole game, which has plagued many a JA team. I can tell you that the team for the last WC qualifiers were superior to this group at this stage of the process. I only hope we can get the team hitting on all cylinders if we make it to the group stage.

Simoes and his staff are competent, they just have not had enough time to develop the team. The players seem to respect and have confidence in the staff. I expect to see a different JA face Bahamas. One that will not lose focus, put away their chances , and show a killer instinct.

I would not change the current coaching staff.

I question the lack of stewpeas and noseworthy, but we are not privy to the whole story so I have to trust the coaches judgement. Also, I have watched Noseworthy play and he is very inconsistent. Some games he plays like a world class player, while other times you wonder how the hell he is playing prof. football much less being in the EPL.

Jesus saves is Simoes thing, not mine...but it is not relevant.

Comment

Working...
                X