X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evon Taylor: A rapid rise from obscurity

Evon Taylor: A rapid rise from obscurity

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Evon Taylor in training with the Reggae Boyz at the Grenada National Stadium yesterday. (Photo: Sean Williams)
    ST GEORGE'S, Grenada - The Evon Taylor story is an intriguing mix of tragedy and dreams.

The 19-year-old footballer, who debuted for Jamaica against St Vincent and the Grenadines in Kingston on June 3, rose from virtual obscurity on a fairytale ride into the public's glare overnight.

Few had heard of the youngster before Rene Simoes announced his squad for the St Vincent and Grenadines encounter, which the Reggae Boyz won 5-1 at the National Stadium last week.

And further, it shocked many when the Brazilian named the unknown, untried player alongside seasoned professionals. But the former Godfrey Stewart High School player and current Reno FC signee did not disappoint. Instead, he repaid the coaching staff in full for their trust and belief.

Except for early blushes that resulted in him making a few mistakes, few could argue that this was indeed a young man who had something to offer. And with time, who's to tell, young Taylor may be a factor in Jamaica's dream of going to the World Cup in South Africa 2010.

And no one was more surprised than he when Jamaica called on him after a one-week training camp at Grand Lido Braco in Trelawny just days ahead of the St Vincent game.

"I was surprised, very surprised when I was named in the squad, but now that I am in the team I am going to be working hard to stay in it and to be a part of the World Cup qualifying squad," said the shy young man.

Things were happening fast for Taylor, and just mere days after making his debut, he was on his way to Trinidad for Saturday's game against the Soca Warriors, which ended 1-1.

"I improved a lot in the Trinidad game, but I was pleased with my performance in the St Vincent game, although I was a bit nervous, but my teammates told me not to be nervous and I should just relax," he said.

And Taylor's playing days for Jamaica seem far from over as he is named in Simoes' starting 11 for today's friendly international against Grenada.

Already, young Taylor from New Market Oval in Westmoreland, is looking beyond today's game. "I hope I will be in the starting 11 against The Bahamas," he said with a sparkle in his eyes, referring to Jamaica's World Cup qualifying tie against that country in Jamaica on Sunday.

And Simoes, while singing the young player's praises, warns that he should be handled with kids' gloves.
    "How this boy play is amazing, he doesn't care that he plays at the National Stadium, he doesn't care that he plays here (Trinidad).it is good to discover a player like that, but based on my experience he will decrease a little bit because he does not have so much substance, so much reserve in him. I hope his decrease in performance comes after The Bahamas," noted the Brazilian.

Taylor, an uncapped member of Jamaica's Under-20 squad, said playing in the middle of the park brings out the best in him. "I love to play in the middle of the park, where I can control the flow of the game. I like to pass the ball around," he said.

With a cadre of foreign-based players making up Simoes' 22-man squad on tour, the more senior players, some of whom are not always quick to welcome new and unknowns to the group, have welcomed Taylor with open arms. Already they have given him an alias - Essien - after the tough and hard-working Chelsea midfielder.

"They say that I play similar and look like him," declared Taylor from the team's hotel in Point Salines, Grenada.

The teenager, catapulted into a man's world overnight, said he has been soaking up all the lessons being taught to him by both senior players and coach Simoes. He even got a pep talk from JFF boss, Captain Horace Burrell.

"I do get a lot of support from the elders in the team and the coach has taught me that it is important to work closely with the senior players, who could teach me a lot of things," he said.

Travelling to Trinidad last week was the first time the quiet and humble Taylor was leaving his country of birth and he is relishing the experience, but not without his share of ribbing from the Boyz.

"This is the first time I am travelling out of the country, and it has been a good experience flying on a plane," he said. "The senior players tried to trick me one time by telling me that I have to pay for the food on the plane," he added, his face breaking out into a smile.

Having not considered options, Taylor's solitary career goal is to play professional football "and England is the place I would like to go".

But while Taylor may be pointing the way up at the moment, down is a place he desperately wants to escape. His life of abject poverty in his rural town and the death of his father from cancer when he was 12 years old, lay heavily on the promising football player.

"I don't have a father and my mother is out of work. I have six brothers and three sisters, and even though we are poor and struggling, they find time to support me in my football," he mourned.

"And that is one of the reasons I want to get a professional contract so I can help my family," added Taylor, who says he is the seventh child of 10.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    "How this boy play is amazing, he doesn't care that he plays at the National Stadium, he doesn't care that he plays here (Trinidad).it is good to discover a player like that, but based on my experience he will decrease a little bit because he does not have so much substance, so much reserve in him. I hope his decrease in performance comes after The Bahamas," noted the Brazilian.

Taylor, an uncapped member of Jamaica's Under-20 squad, said playing in the middle of the park brings out the best in him. "I love to play in the middle of the park, where I can control the flow of the game. I like to pass the ball around," he said.
    Obscurity? Discovery?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Virtual Obscurity.

Discovery speaks to his ability to manage surprisingly well at the Senior Level.

Comment

I hope Burrell and Simoes become his father..

This is beyond football and it is a devine intervention.

Comment

Working...
        X