X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numba 12

Number 12 jersey reserved for Reggae Boyz fans

Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

Reggae Boyz fans (from left) Robin Morrison, Barrington Hill, Winston Williams and the Hill brothers, Oneil and Aston, at a Jamaica match against [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Costa [COLOR=blue! important]Rica[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in February. - file
    Technical director Rene Simoes has always valued the importance of the supporters in the journey towards success of the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]national [COLOR=blue! important]football [/COLOR][COLOR=blue! important]team[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], but for the current campaign, he is moving to make that recognition official.
    According to the Brazilian, in his second stint in charge of the country's national football programme, if he has his way, no player will again wear the number 12 jersey. That, he said, would be reserved for the '12th man' - the fans.
    "One of the things that I want to revive is the vibes of the Jamaican people. I took a decision to ask Captain Horace Burrell and Horace Reid to never allow our players to wear the number 12 jersey. We are going take away the number 12 from our players and give it to the fans," Simoes told STAR Sports recently.
    "The number 12 will be only for the fans and I want them to understand that we did it together once and we can do it together again, and for that, they will officially be the 12th man and they will have to play with the team," added Simoes.

BOO OPPONENTS
    The supporters, Simoes continued, will have to play a major role in making the visitors uncomfortable, within the laws of the game, while they are on the field of play.
    "Sometimes, people don't like when I say this but they will have to boo the opponents, make them uncomfortable during the game," he explained.
    "When the game is finished, let them enjoy the spirit of [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] and the hospitality."
    Showing an appreciation for other sports and their meaning to the country, Simoes said the crowd involvement in [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]football[/COLOR][/COLOR] is much different to cricket and tennis.
    "In cricket and tennis, you cheer after certain plays, but in football, you can participate in the game throughout as fans. Of course, we do not want anything impolite, we will do what the other teams do, like in [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Mexico[/COLOR][/COLOR]," he added.
    Teams playing against Mexico in the famed Azteca Stadium in the capital city have no doubt that they are the visiting team when they go up against the Central American giants at that venue, Simoes reminded.
    "It is impossible to talk to the players during the game. You have to draw something for them to understand because you cannot talk to them as they cannot hear you.
    "Every time that the fans observe that the coach is going to talk to his team, they boo you, they make noise, so in Jamaica, I want visiting teams to see our 12th man [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wave[/COLOR][/COLOR] the sea of yellow, green and black at the National Stadium. We have to bring that back," he argued passionately in his improving English.

RECIPROCAL RELATIONSHIP
    But while the fans are being asked to support the players on the field, Simoes made it clear that he has impressed upon his players the importance of reciprocity in a relationship.
    "We do not have as much time as the last time (1998) to take the players all over the country to get people to see and meet them personally because when people see you and get to know you, it is easier for them to identify with you," he noted. "We still have to do our best to make that link stronger and I hope the players understand that. "I encourage them every time when they talk to fans and give autographs to ask the name of the fans, give a smile, look them in the eye and not just sign. This is not a one guy come to bother you, I tell them. You are ambassadors of your country, so I think it can happen again," he added.

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X