No announcement yet.

Xavi’s solo goal lifts Spain over U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavi’s solo goal lifts Spain over U.S.

Xavi’s solo goal lifts Spain over U.S.

Midfielder Xavi scored a fine individual goal to earn Spain an unconvincing 1-0 win over United States in their final Euro 2008 warmup on Wednesday.

Spain dominated for long spells but found it difficult to break down a well-organised American defence.

The home team showed more urgency as the second half progressed and hit the woodwork twice before Xavi dribbled his way through a crowd of players to score the only goal with 12 minutes to go.

The victory extended Spain’s unbeaten run to 16 games.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Now watch them self-destruct during the Euros.

pr
    Peter R

Comment

It's difficult to absorb that amount of pressure without being scored upon.

Overll, the performance was much bettter compared to the game in England.

What position was Beasley playing?

Johnson, Johnson, Johnson....coach Bradley must see things that we don't. Johnson playes the back pass in over 50% of the passes he receives.

Next test. mighty Argentina!!!
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        Johnson, Johnson, Johnson....coach Bradley must see things that we don't. Johnson playes the back pass in over 50% of the passes he receives.
        Either that, or he immediately coughs up the ball to an opponent with his atrocious first touch.
        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
        - Xavi

Comment

Seems as if you do not give Johnson any ratings any more Zeppo. Johnson is a one trick pony and can hurt you if you are not aware of his trick.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The good thing about this US performance was Freddy Adu. He certainly looked the part and may indeed be the messiah for American soccer. Also, the kid Maurice Edu played a decent first half also.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              It's difficult to absorb that amount of pressure without being scored upon.

Overll, the performance was much bettter compared to the game in England.

What position was Beasley playing?

Next test. mighty Argentina!!!
              You know the US actually played a decent first half. Where in the England they looked downright scared from the opening whistle in this match it looked like they decided man up and give it their best effort yesterday. Freddy was the best player for the US hands down.

The US team was able to get dangerous opportunities and hold possession in the attacking 3rd due to Freddy. He was very good yesterday. It also said alot that Puyol had to hack the man to try and take him out of the game. Once Freddy came out at half time the US had nothing going forward in the 2nd half. He looked sharp in the game. I don't see how Bradley does not start him in qualifying. He is the real deal for the US. Get he, Donovan, Altidore and a healthy Beasley up and running and they will be a tough group for anyone in the region to beat.

Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey need to sit down. Onyewu and Bocanegra...what the hell on that goal?...that looked some crap I would see from 12 year olds just learning zonal defending. That really looked amatuer. I am sure Fabregas must have been chuckling to himself. Brad Guzan is bizzare. He's played solidly in both friendlies with Eng and Sp yet with his club for Chivas USA he has been absolutely crap gifting matches to the opposing teams. He is playing very Redbull-like in MLS this year. Maybe he is looking ahead to Europe?

Spain were the better team and never got out of 2nd gear. It was probably the main reason why the US looked better than they did against an England side that went all out for the W. Spain definitely were experimenting with the line-up and making sure to come out of that game with no injuries so that they could enter the Euros fresh and ready to rumble.

From the US' perspective the truth is they are a team that is still in the beginning stages of putting a group together for 2010 and these friendlies won't make or break them in either way considering the weak nature of concacaf qualifying. In otherwords there is no urgency to have to get it "right" now.

Players I would like to see in the Argentina match.....Kenny Cooper, Chris Rolfe, Arturo Alvarez, Robbie Rogers...Jozy would be on this list but I am assuming that he won't play due to his potential move.

Btw....Redbull suck....- T.K.
              No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Brad Guzan is crap. Dempsey lose his hunger. The kid Smith in Toronto, Rogers and Beckahm look like Dempsey when he use to have tons of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                  Brad Guzan is crap. Dempsey lose his hunger. The kid Smith in Toronto, Rogers and Beckahm look like Dempsey when he use to have tons of energy.
                  Yeah. The other thing is that Dempsey could be simply tired after the type of season he and his club had fighting tooth and nail just to stay up in the prem. He could just be burnt out and need to be left out of a few matches to recharge. I have never seen him so listless. He is normally all over the field when he plays. Hopefully we're not seeing another Clint Mathis type crash and burn off. - T.K.

Comment

I mean Beckerman.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                      I mean Beckerman.
                      Me I meant to ask you this so tell me if you see this the same way as I do.

Have you noticed that Michael Bradley is not a 90 minute player? After 60-65 minutes of a match he can't run again. Once he gets to that point in a game all he does is cane cut every player within a 5 yard radius of him because he is too tired to get in position to defend. This has been a pattern in all the matches I have seen him.

If his dad was not the coach I do believe he would have been subbed yesterday early in that 2nd half. - T.K.

Comment

In the last few games I have noticed him being a step late as the game progresses. Maybe he needs to pace himself a bit more or it could just be that the quality of teams he is playing against have him chasing too much. I didn't notice the trait until the last few games.

Comment

T.K.--someone made the comment that Dempsey's sluggishness may be due to a long tiring season.

The same could be true for Mike Bradley.

That yout is normally a very hard worker.
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                          X