X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerrard wants Barry at Liverpool

Gerrard wants Barry at Liverpool

Gerrard said Barry needed to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard has said he is "desperate" for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to join him at Liverpool.
    Barry, who is expected to lead England against Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday, will talk about his future after he returns from international duty.
    "I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player. I am desperate for us to sign him," said Gerrard.
    "He's a good player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth Barry will certainly make us stronger."
    Gerrard's comments are likely to rile Villa manager Martin O'Neill who has already criticised Liverpool's handling of the situation.
    O'Neill is determined to keep hold of his captain and earlier this month claimed Liverpool's £10m cash plus player bid undervalued the midfielder.

I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard

But Gerrard, a good friend of the 27-year-old, believed Barry, who has two years remaining on his contract, needed to play Champions League football.
    "Gareth Barry is someone who will improve Liverpool. We can't be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens," said Gerrard.
    "Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men. He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years.
    "I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him.
    "You talk about improving the team, the starting XI and the squad, and Gareth will certainly help Liverpool to become a better team.
    "It is easy to play with good players. I've been asked a lot of questions this season about Fernando Torres and the simple answer is 'it's easier playing with quality players' - and Gareth comes into that category."
    Barry has only ever played for Villa and is due a testimonial, having signed professional forms with the club in February 1998.
    606: DEBATE
    Where will Gareth Barry be playing next season?
    Gerrard added: "I am sure Gareth will find it hard to leave Villa. He has been fantastic for them but, in football, sometimes opportunities come along where you can better your career. "I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football. In my opinion, he needs that now. "I've enjoyed playing with him for England. He is quite an easy player to play with. He keeps it simple, he is easy to read and I certainly enjoy playing with him because I've got a good relationship on and off the pitch."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Gerrard's opinion is significant. If he thinks Barry is "easy to play with" that is so a massive endorsement that the club has to aggressively go after the player. Still, Barry is not creative enough for my liking, he is another journeyman footballer who can't produce enough goals. We need a rahtid winger and should be breaking the bank to go after Messi. Woe is me. I wish I had Roman's money.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
      Gerrard's opinion is significant. If he thinks Barry is "easy to play with" that is so a massive endorsement that the club has to aggressively go after the player. Still, Barry is not creative enough for my liking, he is another journeyman footballer who can't produce enough goals. We need a rahtid winger and should be breaking the bank to go after Messi. Woe is me. I wish I had Roman's money.
      Gerrard want him so that he can become more attacking oriented....that would be good for pool.

Comment

true...but we still need more goal scoring production from midfield. Gerrard is the only one that is scoring goals. Still, don't get me wrong, Barry would be an asset, but I personally want to see Rafa signing proven goal scorers and more creative players.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

I thought Gerrard was wanted by Chelsea..or maybe that was just an Avram Grant desire..

Comment

I am still wondering when an English national team coach will have the guts to stand up and start Gerrard over Lampard in attacking central mid-field. Enough of this Gerrard hanging out wide foolishness just to accomodate Lampard. (Yes I do realize the irony considering he scored his goal against the US right up the middle) - T.K.
            No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

you seet to. Lampard nuh worth quatty fi England, him fi siddun.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X