• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The team will take shape - Simoes

The team will take shape - Simoes

Nodley Wright,

René Simoes - Levaughn flynn
    Despite the concerns raised about the size of the squad, 29, named to begin preparation for Jamaica's qualifiers, technical director René Simoes expressed confidence that he will find what he is looking for and that the team will take shape.

Questions have been asked about the absence of a classy defender in the squad as well as a truly creative midfielder with the ability to unlock a defence. These are among the areas he hopes to have figured out by the end of the camp.

"The last time we had more time to qualify the team so there was more time to select players, but this time we have to look for one libero (sweeper)," said Simoes.

"I don't like to play three defenders. I like to play one sweeper and two stoppers so we have to look for that. What I heard is that Simon can play like that, Richard , I understand, can also play there and that Keniel Moodie can do it too. We have to find that player in under one month, we have to fix that," he said of the troublesome sweeper's position.

Fight for places
    While Theodore Whitmore ruled the roost in the national team in the run up to the 1998 World Cup, was often the player trying to unseat him in that creative role and according to Simoes, Williams' recall is to possibly fill that void.

"I am hoping that Andy Williams can fit that role. We are also hoping that Jermaine Johnson has matured more and will be able to play that role as well. We also have good information about Lee Williamson so let us see what he has," explained Simoes, indicating that players will have to fight for their places.

Even with the competitive nature of the camp, Simoes said he still expected a harmonious among his players.
    "I think the players are happy because some of them play together. I know it will be harder this time because it is a competition and everybody will want to be in the squad," he said.

New approach

On the question of other players being left out of the squad at this time, Simoes cited a past experience as a reason not to comment specifically about any players' weakness or reasons for not being invited.

"I have taken this new approach where I do not make much public comments about players' weaknesses because I had a very disappointing and ugly experience in Trinidad and Tobago. Once I did not like what I saw about players and I wanted them to improve on certain weaknesses, and I said it but it did not go down well," he stated. "I wanted them to work on their weaknesses and after that they could become available to the squad. It went down terribly. After that the players improved and afterwards became a part of the unit but the damage was done in the team so this time I try not to make public comments about specific weaknesses of players," he explained, while indicating that some players still had a chance in the future.
    Last edited by Karl; May 29, 2008, 05:06 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Rene sound like him want to go back to the 5-3-2.

I would prefer if he sticked with the current formation. If he is going to use the 5-3-2, Jermaine Hue needs to be a part of the squad.

I know he has always had high hopes for Jermaine Johnson and wanted him to replace Tappa from way back. JJ has his chance in camp to convince him, lets see what he does.

Comment

Why Hue have to be in the 5-3-2

personally I prefer the 5-3-2 formation. Simoes want people who can push a foot every step of the way, a dat beat Hue.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Simoes want people who can push a foot every step of the way...
          Like Andy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Could we not utter Jermaine Hue's name on this forum any more? He shall not be selected!

Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Andy doing a lot better now. The last two time I saw him, him never have the belly and was tackling.

Comment

Why Hue have to be in the 5-3-2

personally I prefer the 5-3-2 formation. Simoes want people who can push a foot every step of the way, a dat beat Hue.
                How many players do we have that can play in the midfield role behind the strikers?

Andy
                Hue
                Priestly
                Bailey

Bailey clearly didn't impress, Priestly not in Hue's class. If that is the formation we going with and Simoes prefers Andy over Hue, I can respect that opinion. However, apart from Andy there is no one at Hue's level.

Comment

When last yuh see di odda one?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Obrien White can play there as well. Damian Francis can, and one thing I learn is that Simoes view on ball different from most of us.

Comment

Obrien White can play there as well. Damian Francis can, and one thing I learn is that Simoes view on ball different from most of us.
                      Damian Francis certainly cannot play there and with all due respect when it comes to being a playmaker Obrien White (who I think should be in the squad) is not at Jermaine Hue's level.

Comment

Me, wha mi say? WHAT MI SAY!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes sah. Mi know it pain you to talk about you son, but mi have to speak about it.

When I saw the change in how the team was playing, I understood his ommission, but if we going to play like back in the day, the man need to be at least an option off the bench.

Comment

What him duh ?

"I wanted them to work on their weaknesses and after that they could become available to the squad. It went down terribly. After that the players improved and afterwards became a part of the unit but the damage was done in the team so this time I try not to make public comments about specific weaknesses of players," he explained, while indicating that some players still had a chance in the future.

Comment

He is not one of them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X