X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williamson sees invitation as a dream come true

Williamson sees invitation as a dream come true
    published: Thursday | May 29, 2008

NATIONAL SENIOR team invitee Lee Williamson, from English Championship side Watford, said playing for Jamaica was something he dreamt of doing all his life.

Williamson and first-time invitee Simon Ford were among six Britain-based players who recently arrived in the island for a one-week training camp as the Reggae Boyz start their preparations for the World Cup qualifiers against the Bahamas on June 15 and 18.

In addition to Williamson and Ford, the other players to touch down were Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Richard Langley, Marlon King and Deon Burton, a veteran on the successful Road to France campaign.

Suprised by call-up
    The 25-year-old Williamson, who plays attacking midfield for Watford, said he was surprised and pleased by his call-up to the national squad.

"I was really happy when I received the call to come down here," said Williamson. "I will just have to go out and do my best and, hopefully, all the boys can bond together so that we can be a good team," said Williamson, who got married in Jamaica last year.

"I will bring as much as I can because my goal is to go to the World Cup in South Africa. I think that each player will have to give as much as he can to achieve this goal," he said.

An honour
    Ford, who plies his trade for Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premier League, was also delighted with his inclusion in the squad.

"The invitation for me is an honour because ever since I decided that I would take football seriously I have always wanted to represent Jamaica," he said.

"It means a lot to me to be invited to play for Jamaica and I hope it is not a one-off thing. When I put on that shirt, I want to do my best and make them proud of me," said the man whose father is from Heartease in St Thomas, and his mother from Mandeville in Manchester.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

So when Mr Jermaine Pennant gonna step on down?
    “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
    X