• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those (RF?) who might not be clear as to how Simon Ford

got his callup:

Simon Ford eager to become a Reggae Boy

Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

Simon Ford ... "The invitation for me is an honour because ever since I decided that I would take football seriously, I have always wanted to represent Jamaica." - Contributed

If the observation of one former Reggae Boy and the player's description of himself as a footballer are true, the national football team could be well on its way to solving one of its major problems - that of a footballer playing central defender.

Twenty-six-year-old Simon Ford who plays for Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premier League (SPL) and who is due to arrive in the country today has been described by Fitzroy Simpson as a bigger and younger version of Durrent 'Tatty' Brown, a key member of Jamaica's historic qualification for the 1998 World Cup in France.

Comparable to the best
    "I have been monitoring him for a while and he definitely has good attributes and to compare him to Tatty Brown, the best central defender I have ever played with is not far-fetched," said Simpson who has influenced Ford's inclusion in the Jamaican set-up.

"I also respect the views of manager of Jim Jefferies who at one point in time managed me when I played for Hearts, he also thinks highly of Simon," Simpson added.

Ford sees himself as anything but the typical 'British' defender.
    "I would describe myself as a football playing defender. I am a player who likes to pass the ball instead of just banging it upfield but while saying that, I am capable of mixing it up so if I have to clear my lines, I will," explained Ford who started out playing in midfield.

"Other qualities that I have include the fact that I am quite pacey. I am a good header of the ball and I have a good spring on me," added the six-footer who spent three years as a professional at Charlton Athletic before moving on to Kilmarnock where he has been for the last three seasons.

While he is honoured to be invited to play for his country, Ford said he is taking nothing for granted as he knows it will take work for him to be selected and to become a fixture in the unit.

Make them proud
    "The invitation for me is an honour because ever since I decided that I would take football seriously, I have always wanted to represent Jamaica. It means a lot to me to be invited to play for Jamaica and I hope it is not a one-off thing. When I put on that shirt, I want to do my best and make them proud of me

"Initially, I really just want to get my head down, show what I can do and get on with the other players," said the man whose father is from Heartease in St Thomas and his mother from Mandeville in Manchester.

While the 29-man squad, which began camp last night has 20 overseas-based players, the majority of whom are based in Britain, Ford knows very few of them personally.

"There are not many of the players in the squad that I am familiar with. I know Ricardo Fuller because when I was at Charlton he was there. I also played against Jermaine Johnson when he was at Oldham and Richard Langley, I have played against since we were youth players while he was at Queens Park Rangers, but the others I don't really know," said Ford, who interacts with more players from Trinidad and Tobago in Scotland.

He added: "There are a number of Trinidadians playing in Scotland among them Russell Latapy who is a legend there. He has done a fantastic job and is still doing it. I speak to him from time to time."

If Ford makes the cut, the opportunity could not have come at a better time as he can at least count on the support of his father as his parents are in the process of moving back to Jamaica and will be in the country to watch the qualifiers, according to Ford.
    Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2008, 02:01 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

yuh bex ovah dis one tuh...?
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Is whey you deh since mawnin?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Heh eh. good to see another St. Thomas man in the national colors. Big ups Simon, good luck to you. and dont let man like Mosiah discourage you.
        President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Working...
        X