X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is your GC Foster Academy, Karl!

THE Star, Simoes combine for successful youth camp

Anthony Minott, Star Writer

René Simoes (foreground), technical director of football, teaches a group of younsgters the fundamentals of dribbling during the STAR's one-day youth football camp.

Technical director René Simoes and Jamaica's top tabloid newspaper, The Star, hosted a successful one-day youth football camp at the G.C. Foster College of Physical Education and Sports, Angels, St Catherine on Saturday.

The camp catered to 72 youngsters (71 boys and a girl) in the 9-15 age group and was under the guidance of Simoes and his technical staff.
    The youngsters were drilled in passing, controlling, dribbling, shooting, heading, off-the-ball movements and taught about mental and tactical approaches to the game.

Harnessing the skills
    Director of the camp, Simoes, said that the camp was geared at harnessing the skills of the youngsters. He added that the youths could not improve their game just by playing football and coaches needed to "insist" that their players executed the skills for long periods of time as this was the only way they could improve their skill levels.

In an earlier interview with the media, Simoes said that he was concerned about the notion that school teams could build players. He insisted that schools were for the academics and football clubs were where the skills were built because the schoolboy season was much shorter than a club season.

Coaching help
    Other coaches assisting Simoes were Charles Edwards, Walter Gamo, Francisco Oliveira, goalkeeper coach for the Reggae Boyz, Vin Blaine, manager of the Reggae Boyz senior team, Donovan Duckie, U-21 assistant coach, Shawn Samuels, physical trainer, Aaron Lawrence, former Reggae Boy and equipment manager, Norman Stone.

Eleven-year-old Dominic Smikle from Vaz Prep was one of the 72 children at the camp and he described his experience. "The camp went well. I got a lot of new experiences and I got to meet the Reggae Boyz coach (René Simoes). I had the skills before, but today I was able to grasp them some more," he said. Smikle, whom Simoes described as one of the most talented and skilful players at the camp, said that former FIFA referee Peter Prendegrast, his uncle, had inspired him to play football. He named Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United and Portugal his favourite football player.

"I get my football tricks from him. I study his moves and I have now mastered them," he added.

On the day, water was in good supply to quench the youngsters' thirst while operating in the heat of the morning sun. The camp started from 8:00 a.m. and finished just after midday. At the end of the camp, the youths got their meals courtesy of sponsors Reggae Jammin' and Jamaica Beverages.

Eleven-year-old Dominic Smikle (right) heads a ball to another participant during the STAR's one-day youth football camp at the G.C. Foster College of Sports and Physical Education on Saturday. - anthony minott photos

Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2008, 01:55 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Was this the 148th one-day youth camp held this year?
    If so, good!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      The camp catered to 72 youngsters (71 boys and a girl) in the 9-15 age group...
      Dat's why wi cyaan compete with the USA women's team any time soon.

One degeh-degeh girl? At the age when they can compete with the boys?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Dat's why wi cyaan compete with the USA women's team any time soon.

One degeh-degeh girl? At the age when they can compete with the boys?!
        Yuh seit?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"On the day, water was in good supply to quench the youngsters' thirst while operating in the heat of the morning sun."

Can someone in the know explain that statement for me? It seems rather strange to see a special comment like that made.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
          X