• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williamson, Ford among UK-based Boyz arrived in Ja

Williamson, Ford among UK-based Boyz arriving yesterday
    Howard Walker, Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008

English-based Reggae Boyz from left Deon Burton, Lee Williamson, Simon Ford, Marlon King and Richard Langley, as they arrived at the Norman Manley International Airport yesterday. (Photos: Naphtali Junior) New Reggae Boyz Lee Williamson and Simon Ford arrived in Jamaica virtually unknown as they walked through the arrival tunnel. But a few flashes from the photographer's camera and the jostling for a better position of the video man, raised eyebrows.
    "A who them", a few persons asked? Reggae Boyz, one answered, probably recognising Marlon King and Deon Burton, who led the group of six English-based Reggae Boyz, who arrived at the Norman Manley International Airport yesterday.
    Jamal Campbell-Ryce and the recalled Richard Langley are the other two players that arrived to join the 29-member Jamaican squad as they prepare for three international friendlies and two World Cup qualifying games.
    Simon Ford Williamson, 25, who was born in England of Jamaican parents, said he was just happy to get a chance to represent Jamaica.
    "I was born in England, but my family is from Jamaica. I got a call up by the manager to play for Jamaica and I am happy. I just want to play now and hope we can qualify," said Williamson, as both Burton and King took the 'mickey' on him, encouraging him to talk patois.
    Lee Williamson "It is amazing for me. My family is from Jamaica and it is a privilege to play for my family's country. I can't wait," he added.
    Williamson feels he will contribute a lot to the team as "I can either sit back or I can attack, but I prefer to attack. I got goals and good experience".
    Williamson has notched 13 goals for his clubs dating back from 1999.
    Ford, 26, a 6ft 1in defender with Scottish club Kilmarnock, was also born in England of Jamaican parents. He is the nephew of former Liverpool winger Mark Walters.
    "Both my parents are from Jamaica, but I was born in England. My dad is from St Thomas and my mom from Christiana, Manchester," Ford noted.
    He added: "To play for any country is a big honour. I am here to show what I can do basically. I got a call up and I am honoured and I am looking forward to it."
    Ford, who began his career at Charlton Athletic before moving to Grimsby Town, Bristol Rover, Redbridge then Kilmarnock, said this wasn't the best of seasons for him, but he is ready to give of his best for Jamaica.
    "It has been a disappointing season for myself, and the club has not done too well, we got a lot of injuries."
    Ford said he is a defender that is comfortable on the ball. "I am a defender that like to play as you can see I am not the biggest and I like to pass it," he said.
    Richard Langley, 28, who plays for Luton Town, first represented the Reggae Boyz against Nigeria in a friendly international played in London in May 2002.
    "I am excited to get back in the team and play international football again. I was injured during the last World Cup qualifying games," said Langley.
    "I want to play in this World Cup campaign and hope we progress to South Africa."
    Langley has scored approximately 30 goals from over 350 appearances, but he couldn't kelp Luton from being relegated this season.
    "It has not been a good season. I was injured and I have been back for the last three months now and I will be looking to increase my fitness. I hope things can finish on a high which would be good for Jamaica," said Langley.
    The six players will join the training squad at the Grand Lido Braco Resort in Trelawny, as they begin preparation for a series of friendly international games starting with St Vincent and the Grenadines on June 3.
    That will be followed by games against Trinidad and Tobago on June 7 and Grenada on June 10 before hosting World Cup qualifiers against the Bahamas in Jamaica on June 15 and 18.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X