• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights for Trelawny Stadium by year-end

Lights for Trelawny Stadium by year-end
    Garfield Myers
    Friday, May 23, 2008

IF all goes according to plan, a proper lighting system to facilitate night-time sporting events will be in place by year-end at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium at Florence Hall, Trelawny, on Jamaica's north coast.

Major Desmond Brown, general manager of the state-run Independence Park Ltd (IPL), told the Observer his agency which has responsibility for the National Stadium Complex as well as the "short-term management" of the Trelawny facility, was working closely with the Government on the project.

"I think the major issue right now is to get the lights in and we are working with the government to have the lights in before the end of the year if all goes well," Brown said. He disclosed that "negotiations" had actually started "with our suppliers".

"I think if we get the lights in then it's a whole new ball game as to what we can and cannot do here," Brown added.

The expectation is that football and Twenty/20 cricket would be among the activities scheduled at nights at the stadium which overlooks the world-famous Glistening Waters Lagoon and the historic town of Falmouth to the west.

Lights apart, Brown speaks of plans for an "outdoor" entertainment centre on part of the undeveloped 40-odd acres of land on which the Stadium is sited. Built at a cost of US$35 million initially for last year's World Cup opening ceremony and several warm-up games, the facility was promoted as a venue for a range of activities, including entertainment.

The idea was that the stadium, located as it is mid-way between the tourist meccas of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, would dovetail neatly into the rapidly expanding leisure industry providing opportunities for sports and entertainment niches.

But a major drawback is a reliance on commercial water. The stadium was built without provision for an in-house irrigation water supply, which means for example that for Jamaica's football World Cup qualifier against Bahamas next month, the stadium managers will have to rely on expensive water provided by the National Water Commission (NWC) to get the field ready.

The inadequacy of irrigation water was very much in evidence for the three-day warm-up cricket match between Australia and a Jamaica Select XI last weekend. The sand-based field - green and carpet-like for last year's World Cup warm-up games - was dry, hard and scruffy last week.
    Brown said finding a way to establish an independent water supply will be crucial to the development of the stadium which is currently costing just over $2 million to maintain - funding coming mainly from Government subventions.

He knows it won't be easy or cheap, but Brown visualises a project that will allow the use of recycled water as well as rain catchment to irrigate the field.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

How is deep is water table?
    Cheaper to put in own water supply?

...I do not know but...I put in a 120 foot deep well and I have additional (there is also the municipal water supply)...and I have wata lacka dut...that Stadium??????
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

uh why did they not think of that first... why did I assume that the chinese also provide lights? my bad.. you know what they say about assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
        uh why did they not think of that first... why did I assume that the chinese also provide lights? my bad.. you know what they say about assumptions.
        Like you I thought that things like independent water system, lights, security post, holding area for the unruly, etc was provided?!

Comment

But hold on, unuh expect fi get a state of the art stadium from the Chinese? I wonder how dem Chinese SUVs doing in Jamaica, and mi wonder if dem betta than the Russian Ladies?

Sorry, my bad, the Russian Lada.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
          X