Funding can be found for friendlies, says Boxhill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funding can be found for friendlies, says Boxhill

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Funding can be found for friendlies, says Boxhill</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Ian Burnett
    Monday, October 16, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=180 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>BOXHILL... Milutinovic can get games that would attract good match fees</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>LOCAL football boss Crenston Boxhill is aware that the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) urgently needs money to run the national football programme.<P class=StoryText align=justify>With the JFF moving towards signing world-rated coach Bora Milutinovic, money now becomes a critical priority for the federation, since the playing of friendly games requires a lot of funding.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But while this commodity is in short supply, Boxhill is optimistic that it can be found.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Funding is always going to be a problem, because it is a very expensive venture and this is one of the reasons why games have not been played at the National Stadium this year.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"But like I said before, the good thing about Bora is that just like how we would be able to get games here, I am certain he can get games for us abroad that would attract good match fees for ourselves, so it balances itself out.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"And in addition to that, our fans are very knowledgeable and if we bring in high quality teams they will come out and support it and once we have the crowd support then we would be able to generate funds."<P class=StoryText align=justify>As Bora goes about his task of overhauling the Reggae Boyz, he will have to do so with local technical support staff, at least for the first half of his four-year contract.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"It was a deliberate part of the negotiation because in the past we have seen where we have had international coaches coming here and the fact that they bring their entire support staff, it really limits the contribution from our local coaches and at the end of the day when they leave there isn't that much that our coaches would have learnt from them being here.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Now in discussion with all the coaches I have interviewed, one of the things that we have tried to establish - some coaches agreed and some didn't - is the fact that we would love, even for the first two years, for the coach to be prepared to work with our support staff and then make an assessment after that.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Fortunately, Bora was one of the few coaches who was prepared to go that route and as such that was one of the things, though it is a combination of factors, including the fact that he knows the CONCACAF region, his knowledge, and of course his track record which is second to none, that is why he is the front runner now," said Boxhill.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The coach, according to Boxhill, will have a huge input in the composition of his technical staff, after the JFF technical committee selects a group of coaches.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"One of the things that I am looking at is the fact that we have so much time, not just to go around the island and see and assess players, but to be in a position to assess coaches, too, and therefore he would have a say, even though we are going to recommend a group of people to him.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"He would have a say as to who from that group he thinks would be better able to serve him as part of his support group.<P class=StoryText align=justify>[b]"If after two years he is not happy with the technical
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Funding can be found for friendlies, says Boxhill

More Boxhill on Bora -

"If after two years he is not happy with the technical support staff that he is working with, "then as a federation *we will have to address that when it comes, as the saying goes".

*we?

Will Boxhill still bea part of the JFF administrationtwo yearsfrom today's date?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

RE: Funding can be found for friendlies, says Boxhill

<SPAN class=Subheadline>Yes? </SPAN>

<SPAN class=Subheadline>I wonder what was our record on number of friendlies played duringBoxhill'sprevious3 years?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=Subheadline>It was interesting to see in the papers Boxhill saying Bora...yes, Bora will get us friendlies against good teams. I wonder why it was that Paraguay, Uruguay, USA, England, Ghana...etc.played us when CB and Wendell were the guys in charge???</SPAN>

<SPAN class=Subheadline>CB and Wendell got us the matches? Certainly it appears Boxhill is saying he cannot get us a rat's arse to play! Right?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=Subheadline>I have been wondering about this JFF president Boxhill? Why the hell did the delegates select him as president?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=Subheadline>I know if I were JFF president I would ask my coach about his plans for the REGGAE BOYZ...and, one of the things that coach would ask for I am sure would be that hislist ofopponents to be used as'cannon fodder',</SPAN>'measuring sticks' to assess improvement and TEAMs - Oh yes, the really TOP OF THE WORLD TEAMs - to show off 'our wares', challenge OUR TEAM to move on to the rarified atmosphere of TOP OF THE WORLD and to remain there.

...and, if I were president it would be my damn job to get those opponents in the order with which playing against them would BEST SUIT OUR INTEREST! This guy Boxhill seems to have a different idea of what his part in workingalong with the coach in this area should be????Apparently Boxhill thinksall he should do/can do to help our football in the area of negotiatingdeals with FAs and or other TOP OPPOSITIONis 'smoke a cigarette' or 'drink a rum'? Right, Mister Boxhill????

Comment

Working...
      X