Clear All

• UB40 sen-on ..... Westerners fail to impress Simones

How much UB40 from england comming back now

Westerners fail to impress Simoes
    published: Tuesday | May 20, 2008

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Marcelino Blackburn ... scored for Jamaica XI. - file
    Western Bureau:
    They lost only 2-1 but based on the reaction of national technical director René Simoes, the members of the Western All Stars team, which engaged the national team in a friendly match at Jarrett Park on Sunday night, did not succeed in their mission to impress him.

"I was not impressed by any of the western players this time around," Simoes stated bluntly after the game. "However, you have to understand it was just a one-game situation so I cannot be too disappointed."

In a game, which was technically and tactically flawed in many respects, the national team got their goals through first half efforts by Wolry Wolfe and Marcelino Blackburn. Former national player Jermaine Anderson got the consolation goal for the westerners.

No favours
    Like their western counterparts, the national team, which featured mostly local-based players, also did themselves no favours to their bid to get into Simoes' final squad for the 2010 World Cup, as according to him, they did not impress either.

"Some members of the national team did okay," said Simoes, flipping his right hand to indicate token satisfaction. "However, others did not do well as a lot of mistakes were made so I have to be disappointed about that."

In terms of the week spent in the west, Simoes said the training camp was very good as it provided him with an opportunity to get a better look at some of the players as he moved closer to selecting a final squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against the
    Bahamas.

"I now have a squad in mind but I am not yet ready to make an announcement," said Simoes. "We will continue to look at the players in the upcoming weeks before announcing the squad."

In Sunday night's game, the national team took the lead in the second minute of play courtesy of a mix-up between Western All Stars' goalkeeper Jacomeno Barrett and a defender created an opening for Jevaughn Watson, who flicked the ball to Wolfe. He calmly slotted in, making the score 1-0.

Struggling
    With the westerners struggling in their bid to be cohesive, the Jamaican team doubled their lead in the 38th minute. A low cross by midfielder O'Brian Woodbine slipped from the grasp of goal-keeper Barrett and fell comfortably for Blackburn. He fired in easily, making the score 2-0.

The Western All Stars got on the score-sheet through a stroke of luck in the 40th minute. A free-kick some 25-yards from goal by Anderson deflected off a defender and with goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts wrong-footed, the ball flew into the goal, making the final score 2-1.

"It was a tough game for us because our preparation for this game was somewhat limited," said Joshua Cummings, the coach of the western team. "However, it was an opportunity for the players to show their worth."
    Last edited by Karl; May 20, 2008, 05:39 PM.

Simoes Simoes Simoes Simoes Simoes

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what eva mosiah don't hyde from the point ent hue play in that game ? did he shine btw....

Comment

ummm ... 25 Freddy? Abundance of talent?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Hue is playing in the Bronx league. Check it out and report. Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

so he gave up on the national team!!

Comment

the other way around

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

stoppit Lazie.

There is an abundance of talent in Jamaica.

There are several Freddy's

Don't believe? Then jusss ax Mosiah.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

so wha HL yuh say nuff ub40 call up cousin and dem nuh buss

Comment

No surprise that the players didn't impress. Most of our young players are poor passers & shooters, poor movers off the ball and poor at decision making.

Comment

UB-40 run tings Naminart...

The forum know dat.
                      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        the other way around
                        simones did give him a call up

Comment

I know Simoes is bigger than life and I am forced to accept that the UB40 players will not have to prove themselves(local boyz not that lucky) but wouldn't some of those maligned players give a better account of themseves if the side was mixed with some of those almighty UB40 players?Man U plays like crap when even the changes to the starting team are subtle.
                          I look forward to the string of "ram stadium GAMES" the JFF scheduled for the near future.Hope all a dem together can make one.
                          Perhaps even the great Simoes disappoints.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
                          X