Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giggs reveals United turning point

(AFP) Tuesday 20 May 2008

If Manchester United win the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, Ryan Giggs will think back to a defeat against Benfica that he believes inspired his side's resurgence.
    When United lost 2-1 at Benfica in 2005 to finish bottom of their Champions League group it was seen as the end of an era for Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

But the pain of that embarrassing exit was gradually erased as the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney fulfilled their potential.
    Giggs believes the pain of losing in Lisbon spurred them on to make United great again. He had experienced a similar feeling a decade earlier when United surrendered the title to Leeds in 1992 and responded by helping United win the their first title in 26 years.
    "Maybe people on the outside looked at us and said this could be the end of an era but I never thought so," Giggs said. "Sometimes a disappointment like that can help you and that might have been the case with Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

"I certainly felt that way about Leeds winning the championship. There was an added pressure but I also remember going away that summer thinking 'I don't want to feel like this again'.
    "Fans were coming up to me saying 'are we ever going to win the league'? It was horrible. But you need that determination to succeed. It is just a question of where it comes from."

Giggs will break Sir Bobby Charlton's United appearance record if he plays against Chelsea in Moscow, but the Wales winger is more than happy to give the spotlight to Paul Scholes.
    United midfielder Scholes is set to start his first Champions League final after missing the victory over Bayern Munich in 1999 through suspension.
    "I don't think it has ever affected him playing-wise because after 1999 he always had a belief we would get there again," Giggs said. "But I do know how acutely disappointed Paul was at missing out in Barcelona and I felt it was right he did get to play in one of these games.

"As a supporter of football, you want to see someone with that kind of ability play on the biggest stage.
    "It would have been sad for Paul not to play in a Champions League Final. He is genuinely one of the best players in the world."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Manchester United v Chelsea- What Choice For A Neutral?

The first ever All-English Champions League Final, yet this is a game that fails to stir the blood. Choosing between Man United and Chelsea is a thankless task.
    Watching football matches without a point of view is a bit soulless but rooting for either of these teams is a struggle for the neutral. Partly that is based on the fact that both are so succesful- no obvious underdog to go for here.
    Apologies to genuine Reds and Blues but each club has a fan base that carries with it a huge tail of glory hunters ready to gloat about the success of their side, or to bleat endlesslly about conspiracies that denied their side.

Not that the fans can be blamed for complaining about refereeing decisions as both managers have spent part of the season arguing that the officials are doing their level best to ruin their club's chances. They can't both be right but they could both be wrong.

In the boardroom? Well choose between a Russian billionaire who made his money in ruthless ways or a bunch of American carpet-baggers who bought into Old Trafford to make money pure and simple.

Both teams routinely strip Premiership rivals of their best players and operate on a business plan that sees participation in the Champions League as a right. Each club appears to view the FA and its rules as an irritation in the way of acquiring more wealth and power.

Both clubs have a talismanic player who spends more time on the floor that is strictly necessary. Both clubs are perceived - despite their own protestations- to get the rub of the green from officialdom.
    The list could go on. Suffice to say that outside their respective fan bases most football fans enjoy seeing either of these sides come off the park defeated.

So who to go for? Chelsea because they have never won this before and Avram Grant isn't as annoying as Sir Alex Ferguson? Or Manchester United because they play better football and are a less manufactured side?
    Perhaps the best policy is to start watching hoping for a goal in every attack, then see how the game develops. Treat that match like a spread bet and switch allegiances depending on which side is exhibiting the most paranoia or benefitting from the most luck- and hope they don't both get there next year.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

WHO ARE YOU CHEERING FOR LAZIE!!?

GOOOO CHELSEA!!

SideBar:

Do you know how lucky you are to be within a 'stones throw' to Giants Stadium?
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        WHO ARE YOU CHEERING FOR LAZIE!!?

GOOOO CHELSEA!!
        HL, if not Manu ... then who?

SideBar:

Do you know how lucky you are to be within a 'stones throw' to Giants Stadium?
        ... Argentina on June 8th and I was just in the Student Center where they're advertising an international game in August .. teams to be announced. I'm hoping its Brazil.

Comment

Lazie I am depending on you to inform us when the tickets go on sale.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            Lazie I am depending on you to inform us when the tickets go on sale.
            Tickets deh pon sale already!

Comment

I understand and appreciate the sentiments but what was Giggs smoking to say this?:

"It would have been sad for Paul not to play in a Champions League Final. He is genuinely one of the best players in the world."

Him good but ...

pr
              Peter R

Comment

DC is DIS-united!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                X