What has happened to Wembly Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to Wembly Stadium?

In the early to mid-nineties, the name Wembly Stadiums was synonymous with local football. Located at Bogue in the vicinity of the D & G Bottling Plant, the mini-stadium was the home to the Condor’s football team which comprised of footballers who formerly played for premier league outfit Wadadah.

When Jarrett Park closed its gates in the early 1990s, Wembly Stadium and Nature Village Farms were the two match venues that absorbed the games that were being played.

So busy were activities at the venue that National Premier League, DaCosta Cup and even international games were played at the location. One of the challenges that faced the developers was the fact that the venue was built on a swamp. Whenever it rained the under footing for spectators, players and officials was horrific with the prevailing muddy conditions. But persons braved all that to attend weekly games.

The developers did a really good job to invest in the venue, a changing room and a press box was built. The playing area was properly fenced and stands seating over a thousand persons were constructed.

Towards the latter part of the nineties, the developers seemed to abandon the development of the facility. Unconfirmed reports are that the stands and the changing rooms have been demolished. When the I visited the venue, animals could be seen grazing on the grass on which the football field once stood. A big metal gate at the entrance was also locked.

Attempts to get a comment from the owners proved futile. With the relegation of Seba United from the National Premier League, many analysts have cited poor playing field surfaces and facilities as a contributing factor. With none of the teams from western Jamaica, especially St. James, having a playing venue suited for the National Premier League, a school of thought is that this once thriving venue can be bought collectively and developed. Will Wembly’s gate remain closed? The verdict is still out.

Wadadah (peace & love)

Not sure if it warrants the investment to rebuild. You now have the new Catherine hall complex which needs to be completed. I think much would need to be done to fix the drainage issue out at bogue to make it worthwhile.
    What happen to the project Seba had out at Irwin?

Comment

The bigger Mobay clubs need to get their own fields. Jarrett Park is a dump and Catherine Hall cannot serve the entire Mobay community.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        The bigger Mobay clubs need to get their own fields. Jarrett Park is a dump and Catherine Hall cannot serve the entire Mobay community.

The truth is MoBay needs two fields - One on the outskirts towards Hanover...and the other on the outskirts towards Falmouth.

There is no space left available in the town to build a complex that would allow easy rapid entry and exit and or allow for expansion as we move forward.

Jarrett Park, the Catherine Hall field, the field below/beside Cornwall (a UDC field?) and the creation of one in the Erwindale area should be converted to fields resembling what in the USA are term 'parks'! Needed are first class arenas.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That could work too.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It takes 1 hour from downtown to where that field is? I dont think it is feasible to do something substantial there. We all know where that field is right?

Comment

Karl the field he is talking about is out past Herbie I guess you could call that towards hanover. I think Hanover needs a field more than anything. I dont know where the footprint is going towards Falmouth. Iron Shore and Greenwood are pretty much residential communities. There was a field out towards Ironshore but again dont see any major development due to prime tourist lands and I would say Salt Marsh area would be the first real place but thats almost into falmouth. I think towards Irwin which Seba was doing or towards Granville area.. but again thats a traffic tie up.

Comment

Working...
              X