Grant hits out at Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant hits out at Bennett

Avram Grant has hit out at referee Steve Bennett for the way he handled Manchester United's win over Wigan.

Chelsea finished two points behind United after Sir Alex Ferguson's men claimed a 2-0 victory over the Latics at the JJB Stadium, where Bennett made a number of key decisions in the champions' favour.
    Many felt Wigan deserved a penalty after a handball from Rio Ferdinand, while Paul Scholes could have been sent off after a rash challenge on Wilson Palacios after having already picked up a booking.
    Grant has also stated on numerous occasions that he believes Mike Dean was wrong to send John Obi Mikel off after half an hour when United beat Chelsea 2-0 at Old Trafford in September.
    Ferguson had criticised Bennett earlier in the season after he sent off Cristiano Ronaldo against Portsmouth.
    And Grant could now find himself in hot water with the Football Association after his latest remarks.

Influence

"I can say that after the game we won against Manchester United to get level on points, we knew that they had to play West Ham at home and Wigan away and that it was not in our hands," he said.
    "I told you that I believed in the tradition of the fair English game - I will not say anything against it - but what happened is what I expected.
    "In England, there are very good referees, but there are some - a few - that you can influence, like you saw.
    "I think in our game against Manchester United at Old Trafford, the referee (Mike Dean) influenced the result for sure. We know that.
    "I think the red card for John Obi Mikel in that game should not have been a red card. I think that Paul Scholes should have had a red card on Sunday and Wigan a penalty also.
    "But it is finished. I congratulate Manchester United."

Champions League

However, Chelsea still have a chance to get one over on United as they meet in Moscow next for the UEFA Champions League final, and Grant believes it will be to his side's benefit that a foreign official will be in charge.
    Asked if he was happy the referee would not be English, he said: "I can say it like this: yes."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Poor Avram. I guess some of Jose has rubbed off on him. Mi notice him omit the bad calls against Manu.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X