X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support the game or else!

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

Support the game or else!
    Capt Burrell warns of repercussion if World Cup qualifier at Trelawny is not well attended Paul Reid, Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008

COOPERS PEN, Trelawny - Unless the CONCACAF World Cup qualifier between Jamaica and the Bahamas at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium is a financial success, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) might be forced to reconsider scheduling games at the venue in the future.
    That's the view of JFF president Captain Horace Burrell, who addressed reporters at a press conference at the Star Fish Resort here yesterday afternoon, saying the federation was hoping for a "capacity crowd" at the facility.

Jamaica will play the return (home) leg of the two-way play-offs against the Bahamas at the Florence Hall facility on Wednesday, June 18 starting at 4:00 pm, three days after the first leg at the national stadium.
    Ticket prices for the game will be $2,500- $3,000 for the two main stands and $500 for the uncovered seat-less areas to the east and west ends of the facility.

Captain Burrell also said there will be 12 corporate boxes available for rental, ranging from $80,000 for one that can hold up to 16 persons, and $100,000 for boxes that can accommodate up to 20 persons.

"We would like to ask the patrons to consider this. Unless we are able to garner a certain amount of income from gate receipts it would not be possible to host further games," Burrell said while pleading to the "footballer lovers in western Jamaica by attending that game...once this is done we will have the stadium filled to capacity and from here on I believe you would have sent a clear statement and the JFF will play future games at the Trelawny Multi-purpose stadium".
    Burrell said it is "not impossible to fill the stadium which would in turn allow the JFF to earn much-needed income to sustain our national programmes".

The Reggae Boyz team will field its "strongest available players", Burrell said, adding that approximately 18 overseas-based players could be included in the squad.

The JFF boss said it would be the first time in about 10 years that a home World Cup qualifier would be played outside of Kingston and they hoped to make it a "memorable affair".
    A lot of arrangements were being put in place for the game, Burrell said, adding that other entities were also "busy working around the clock" to ensure that all was well for the game.

Burrell said the surface at the stadium will need some work as technical director Rene Simoes had pointed out the present conditions were below standards.

Simoes, who also addressed the press conference, reminded the members of the media that the federation had nine teams to deal with and every contribution to the effort would be appreciated.

Falmouth's Mayor Colin Gager and president of the Trelawny Chamber of Commerce, Dennis Seivwright, pledged their full support to the staging of the game.
    Seivwright challenged corporate entities in western Jamaica, and particularly Trelawny, to make the game a success, while challenging the JFF to ensure the team was competitive.

This lovely stadium does not seem to be a good football stadium. The field will apparently be so far from the crowd, you might easily forget why you are there.

Anyway, let's hope the fans do enjoy the game and the JFF makes a bagload of money! I'm sure some of our bigger companies will jump for the corporate box arrangements. Anyting fi mek dem feel like dem in Madison Square Garden.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo, maybe the Trelawny Stadium will be OK as a footbal venue...in fact, I think it sould be just fine. Just look at The Office for example: The seating arrangements are not what one would consider intimate (for lack of a better term.) That ugly concrete cycle track, and the mondo race track create a chasm between the spectators and the players. Yet, the attending fan has no trouble enjoying the game and even cursing the players .

And if you think the spacious Greenfield pitch creates too much of a distance between the players and the paying fan, you should see some of the stadiums in Central and South America. There are stadiums in dem-dere-parts of the world, where it's the norm to see 30-foot-high fences keepeing the fans away from the players on the pitch.

And BTW Mo, wha happen to the pitcha dem fi Greenfield and Sligoville Stadia? How yuh ah gwaan so Iyah!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I saw some pic of the Trelawny stadium and the likely position of the field. Chuss mi, it fur! I would rather have a chainlink fence between me and the field instead of that huge stretch of grass.

Mi nuh tek di pic dem yet, mi boss.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ahiite sah.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I hope the promotion includes the hospitality industry's ( - inclusive of all the Mom & Pops) working at promoting the event in conjunction with 'fun and relaxation' before, during and after the match. The city of Falmouth and adjacent areas could enjoy a welcome temporary economic bump!

In JA$ a 10,000 influx of fans spending an average of J$10,000.00 (approximately U$150.00) each, in and around Falmouth, would provide inflows of J$100,000,000.00 (approximately U$1,500,000.00).
            Last edited by Karl; May 13, 2008, 11:06 AM.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
              Mo, maybe the Trelawny Stadium will be OK as a footbal venue...in fact, I think it sould be just fine. Just look at The Office for example: The seating arrangements are not what one would consider intimate (for lack of a better term.) That ugly concrete cycle track, and the mondo race track create a chasm between the spectators and the players. Yet, the attending fan has no trouble enjoying the game and even cursing the players .

And if you think the spacious Greenfield pitch creates too much of a distance between the players and the paying fan, you should see some of the stadiums in Central and South America. There are stadiums in dem-dere-parts of the world, where it's the norm to see 30-foot-high fences keepeing the fans away from the players on the pitch.

And BTW Mo, wha happen to the pitcha dem fi Greenfield and Sligoville Stadia? How yuh ah gwaan so Iyah!
              Wonder why the fans in the far reaches of the World's great stadia turn up? Do they not sit when compared to our "Office" some appreciable distance from the action?

Cho! (for the nay sayers )...our Trelawny Stadium is just fine!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The match is on a Wednesday. How much fun and relaxation yuh tink people want?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  The match is on a Wednesday. How much fun and relaxation yuh tink people want?
                  Capacity?
                  How many lovers of football with money to burn could just take the time? How many Jamaicans will just take 'sick leave'?

Just asking!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Wonder why the fans in the far reaches of the World's great stadia turn up?
                    enuff said

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh right bout dat.. 18 years of famine is a sin..

Comment

yeah mobay should turn out cause a long time them nuh see a good game. Seba and Waddadah naw cut it no more.

I am waiting to see if Mobay people a go full it up or a town people them a go drive down fi palave inna di stadium.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          Capacity?
                          How many lovers of football with money to burn could just take the time? How many Jamaicans will just take 'sick leave'?

Just asking!
                          Karl, the people with "money to burn" don't watch football, and even if they did, they would not burn it in a second leg match where one team is looking at a 6 goal deficit!

Sick leave? Or sick leaf? Doesn't matter. Most of us are on permanent leave from employment.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Karl, the people with "money to burn" don't watch football, and even if they did, they would not burn it in a second leg match where one team is looking at a 6 goal deficit!

Sick leave? Or sick leaf? Doesn't matter. Most of us are on permanent leave from employment.

I think there will be a full crowd.
                            We'll see!

Comment

Let me ask where you want the people them wid money fi go watch the game inna mobay? Fi go sit down inna Jarrett park is an adventure when it full and the only alternative you have is the hillside which is a diaster ready to happen. So they simple don't follow ball in Mobay.

Hopefully they come out just for show off. Like how them have box at least your friend Butch can buy it out and send him workers.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X