Reds offer player exchange for Barry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds offer player exchange for Barry

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has confirmed he has received an offer from Liverpool for skipper Gareth Barry.

O'Neill insisted the Reds have made a player exchange offer for 27-year-old Barry, who has two years left of his currrent contract.

The Villa chief, upset that the story has been made public, is understood to be interested in bringing Liverpool striker Peter Crouch back to Villa Park.

Goalkeeper Scott Carson, currently on loan at Villa, and defender John Arne Riise could also come into the equation if a cash-plus-players deal materialises.

But O'Neill would still want to keep hold of Barry if at all possible and insists Villa are 'not a feeder club'.

O'Neill said: 'Gareth Barry still has two years of his contract left to run and from my two years' experience of working with him, he's not one who would be wanting to break contracts lightly.

'Liverpool haven't made a straight cash offer. They have made an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges.

'I'm particularly disappointed to hear that business is being conducted in public and I just want to be clear on this in that we're trying to build a side here and we're not a feeder club.

'We want to be trying to challenge. At some stage we want to get to the position that this football club once held. That will demand an awful lot of effort. It will take a supreme effort and it will take very, very good players.'

O'Neill added: 'I don't want to be in a position of letting really good players go. Gareth Barry is a really good player who still has two years left on his contract.

'I haven't discussed these things with him yet. At some stage obviously I will do. But the day before probably our most important game of the season is not the time to be discussing it.

'A couple of weeks ago Gareth said he would prefer to wait until the end of the season before we start discussing things and I think that would be the right thing to do.

'It's particularly disappointing to find out that Liverpool have carried the story in their local paper. It's certainly not the way that the Liverpool of old conducted business. I prefer to do things with a bit or privacy and a bit of confidentiality.

'That's particularly disappointing, especially at this time.

'We've got two important games coming up. Liverpool's season might effectively be over as they have qualified for the Champions League and their interest in this season's Champions League ended a couple of nights ago.

'I'd rather be waiting until the end of the season before I discussed things.'

Meanwhile, O'Neill has told his players to turn up the heat on Everton in the race for UEFA Cup qualification when they face Wigan on Saturday.

Victory for O'Neill's side would see them jump into fourth place in the Premier League thanks to their superior goal difference and leave the Toffees needing to win at Arsenal on Sunday to regain their three-point advantage.

'We now have the opportunity to put some pressure on Everton,' said O'Neill.

'If we win, Everton will be out of the top five for the first time this season. Everything is there for us to win but it will not be easy.

'The achievement of still being involved in the battle for a European place with two games to go is a tremendous achievement and it is great to be in our present position.'

Villa's European challenge looked to be over at the end of March when they were mauled 4-0 by Manchester United ay Old Trafford - their third successive defeat following earlier setbacks against Portsmouth and Sunderland.

But, far from being the end of their season, it acted as a spur for a dramatic run that has seen them collect 10 points from four games - scoring 13 goals in the process.

O'Neill will not finalise his side until the last possible moment as he wants to give long-serving defender Olof Mellberg as much time as possible to recover from illness.

The Wigan game will be Mellberg's Villa Park farewell as the Sweden international is moving to Juventus at the end of the season following seven years with Villa.

O'Neill is optimistic the 31-year-old will be fit and he said: 'Olof is feeling better and obviously he wants to play in his final home game for Villa.

'Certainly, if he is willing to start against Wigan, I will happily include him in the side.'
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Good Move ...assain Crouch Out ! Mid Table Ambition !
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Barry would be a mad man to move to Liverpool. Him forget what happened to Scott Parker when he made the mistake of moving to the talent killers Chelsea?

Lets see, as a Charton player was pushing himself into the English national team. Well, ever since he joined Chelsea that was that. He is now at West Ham in case you're wondering if he retired. (Hope he has a horrible game tomorrow!).

Barry is in the same position. As a Villa player he isn't even pushing, he IS in the English team. Why go to Liverpool? There is Jefe and Gerrard alredy there. Who him gonna start over? He also need to look at Sissoko. The man who couldn't get a run at Liverpool is the man in the middle for Juventus. Futhermore, Barry need to understand that Villa have a better chance of winning the EPL over Liverpool and him nuh talk spanish.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Crouch was going to move at the end of the season. Liverpool have the man a siddum pon bench for greater part of the season even though he has scored given the chances.

Watch and see what happen when him go Villa, Portsmouth or Man City.
        Unnu a go try buy him back just like what unnu did with Fowler.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X