RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a failure? ...that man Avram Grant! Blues win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a failure? ...that man Avram Grant! Blues win!

Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool (4-3)

By Sam Lyon

Drogba celebrates his fine opener in front of the Reds bench

Didier Drogba bagged a brace as Chelsea swept into their first Champions League final at the expense of Liverpool on a night of high drama at Stamford Bridge.

The Ivorian opened the scoring with a 12-yard strike, but Fernando Torres's drive sent the game into extra-time.
    Frank Lampard restored the lead from the spot after Michael Ballack had been felled, before Drogba prodded a third.

Ryan Babel's 35-yarder prompted a tense finale, but Chelsea held on to seal a tie with Manchester United in Moscow.

It was sweet revenge for Chelsea, having been knocked out of the competition at this stage three times in the last four years, including twice by Liverpool in 2005 and 2007.

And it was just about deserved on a tumultuous night's football, their reward being a titanic encounter against their rivals for the Premier League title.

Both sides made two changes to the teams that started the first leg at Anfield, Michael Essien returning from a European ban and Saloman Kalou preferred to Florent Malouda for Chelsea, Liverpool replacing Babel and the injured Fabio Aurelia with Yossi Benayoun and John Arne Riise.
    But, as was the case last week, it was the home side that made the early running and Drogba forced the first save of the night with a skiddy effort from 25 yards.

Liverpool's plan was apparently to soak up pressure and then look for Torres at every opportunity. The plan almost reaped rewards on 10 minutes when the Spaniard ran onto Steven Gerrard's fine pass, only for Petr Cech to smother his shot from eight yards.

It was as close as the visitors got in the first half, though, as Chelsea dictated both possession and chances.

Drogba - so impressive in the Blues' weekend win over Manchester United - was at the heart of all that was good about the hosts' play, but he should have done better when he clipped wide having been set clean through in the box by Lampard's incisive pass.

Liverpool's cause was not helped by an injury to Martin Skrtel, the defender limping off with a knee injury, and things got worse for the Reds when Chelsea scored on 33 minutes.

Fittingly, Drogba grabbed the goal, the Ivorian drilling in with aplomb after Kalou, who had been set free by Lampard, had brought a diving stop from Reina.

Replays suggested Kalou had run onto Lampard's through-ball from an offside position but Drogba, so heavily criticised by Rafael Benitez before the game for diving, showed no remorse as he grasped the opportunity to celebrate in front of the Liverpool bench.

Ballack almost rounded off the half with a superb free-kick that flew inches wide and the visitors appeared understandably relieved to go into half-time with the score just 1-0.

Torres levelled but Chelsea held on to seal a final spot

Something had to change for the Reds - and it did - Liverpool almost making a dream start to the second half when Dirk Kuyt forced a smart save from Cech eight yards out.

Gerrard, superbly marshalled by Claude Makelele, had been anonymous in the opening 45 but, with Chelsea happy to sit deep, the midfielder helped Liverpool back into the match.

The Blues suddenly looked short of rhythm and their lack of sharpness was exposed when Benayoun strolled infield and slipped in Torres, the Spaniard spinning on a sixpence and lashing into the corner.

It was Liverpool's first goal at Stamford Bridge in 841 minutes of football, spanning nine matches, and meant the match was destined for extra-time.

The extra period fizzled with controversy - sparked when an Essien drive from 22 yards out flew into the net, only to be ruled out because four Chelsea players stood offside.

The Blues' protests that they were not interfering were muted seconds later, though, as Sami Hyypia felled Ballack and Lampard dispatched the resultant penalty brilliantly.

The midfielder, whose mother passed away last week, celebrated in emotional fashion and seven minutes later Chelsea went two goals clear when Drogba swept home Anelka's pass from six yards.

The touch paper had well and truly been lit and, after Hyypia had penalty appeals waved away following a Drogba challenge, Babel reduced the arrears with a speculative effort from 35 yards that Cech should have done better with.

It was a frantic end to an astonishing match, but Chelsea saw it out to send the home fans into raptures and put themselves in with a chance of becoming the first London club to lift Europe's most sought-after prize.

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Chelsea's Didier Drogba 7.65 (on 90 minutes).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

We deserve to be in final - Terry

We deserve to be in final - Terry

Chelsea captain John Terry celebrates with keeper Petr Cech

Chelsea captain John Terry felt his side deserved their place in the Champions League final after a dramatic 4-3 aggregate win over Liverpool.

The Blues reached the final for the first time after losing in three semi-finals in four years.

"It's fantastic. I think we've fully deserved it over the years," he said.

Frank Lampard, whose mother died last week, scored a penalty, and Terry said: "What a character he is. It's been a terrible week for him and his family."

Lampard had an excellent game in midfield and his efforts also won praise from Chelsea coach Avram Grant.

We have created history and I am very proud we did it my way
    - Chelsea coach Avram Grant

"Frank played very well and in my opinion was one of our key players today. It is not an easy thing he is under. He gave everything to the team," he said.

England midfielder Lampard stepped up after Sami Hyypia brought down Michael Ballack to make the score 3-2 on aggregate in extra time.

Didier Drogba scored his second of the game to make it 3-1 on the night and 4-2 overall, before Ryan Babel's long-range effort made for a nervous finish.

"It is something amazing," said Drogba. "Today we did very well. I am really pleased for the club because we've been looking for this final for too long."

Grant said he was proud to have achieved something predecessor Jose Mourinho had failed to manage by getting the better of Liverpool in the last four of the Champions League.

"There's only one 'special one'," he joked.

"But this was special against Liverpool. They are a fantastic team and Rafa played tactically. You need to be clever against him but we did it.
    "We have created history and I am very proud we did it my way. But I don't like to say 'I' because (owner) Roman (Abramovich), he created this club, my staff are excellent, my assistants, everybody."

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez had stoked up controversy before the match by accusing Drogba of diving and claiming he had a dossier of the striker's past antics.

Drogba, who led Chelsea's line magnificently on Wednesday, made a point of celebrating his first goal right in front of the Liverpool bench.

"Benitez is a fantastic coach and I was a bit disappointed but I think he felt his team was not strong enough and Chelsea were going to beat them," he said. "I am just happy for my team and I don't want to think about others. It's not good for my image. I'm giving my best to put my team at the top and I think it's not fair but it's finished."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Chelsea set United final date

(AFP) Wednesday 30 April 2008

Didier Drogba sent Chelsea to their first UEFA Champions League final and got revenge on Rafa Benitez as his double strike clinched a 3-2 win against Liverpool in Wednesday's semi-final second leg.

Drogba had given Chelsea the lead in the first half at Stamford Bridge before Fernando Torres sent the tie into extra-time.
      That set the scene for Frank Lampard to cap an emotional return as the midfielder restored Chelsea's lead with a penalty in his first appearance since the death of his mother.

With Liverpool on the ropes Drogba delivered the killer blow and Ryan Babel's late strike couldn't stop Chelsea sealing a 4-3 aggregate triumph.
      Drogba's heroics earned a 21 May showdown with Manchester United in Moscow and left Benitez choking on his words after the Liverpool manager had accused the Ivorian of diving in the build-up to the match.

Drogba pleased
      "I am really pleased for the club," said Drogba."We have been trying to make the final for several years. What we have achieved today is a great thing for the club and the fans.

"Rafa Benitez is a fantastic coach but I was a little disappointed about his comments. The remarks were very personal and football is not all about these critics. I am doing everything to promote English football."

Chelsea coach Avram Grant said there was no point in comparing himself to his predecessor Jose Mourinho, who was known as the 'Special One', but who never guided the Blues to the Champions League final though he won the trophy with Porto in 2004.

"There's only one special one of course," said Grant. "Liverpool are a fantastic team and you have to be a clever side against them. Say all the time you have to be human (about Lampard) and not worry about the football.

"He gave everything to the team," Grant went on. "I was a little bit embarrassed about my celebration at the end (he went down on his knees in exultation). It was a little bit about my thinking of my grandfather, who died in the Holocaust and my father who is 80.

We created history tonight and I have done it my way
      Chelsea boss Avram Grant alludes to Frank Sinatra after the semi-final win over Liverpool

" We created history tonight and I have done it my way," Grant went on. "Why wasn't Roman (Abramovich, the Chelsea owner) here or on Saturday [when Chelsea beat Manchester United]? He is independent and a very nice guy."

Double in the making?
      After losing at this stage three times in the last four years, including two agonising defeats to Liverpool, Grant's side can finally celebrate their arrival in the European game's showpiece club event.

They could yet go into the Champions League's first all-English final as kings of English football as well. It is a remarkable turnaround for a team written off when Grant replaced Mourinho in September.

Benitez's withering assessment of Drogba's theatrics had drawn an angry response from the player and now he had the chance to prove his point on the pitch.

It wasn't long before Drogba tried his luck with a long range effort that brought a sprawling save from Jose Reina.

There was an extra menace about Drogba's every movement and Lampard's pass sent him away down the left, only for his scuffed shot to trickle wide.

Wave upon wave of blue-shirted attack crashed down on the Liverpool defence and threatened to sweep Benitez's team aside. Michael Essien was next to test Reina with a low shot that skidded awkwardly off the rain-soaked pitch.

Heavy pressure
      Liverpool were creaking and the sheer weight of Chelsea's pressure finally told in the 33rd minute. Inevitably it was Drogba who kicked down the door.

Alvaro Arbeloa failed to cut out Lampard's pass and Salomon Kalou pounced. When Kalou's curling strike forced Reina to parry, John Arne Riise was slow to react and Drogba took full advantage. He drove low under Reina before sprinting off to dive full-length towards the crowd.

There was no mistaking the dig at Benitez but, in case he hadn't got the message, Drogba raced to celebrate in front of the Liverpool manager before being mobbed by his team-mates.

A second goal for the hosts would have made Liverpool's task almost impossible and Michael Ballack nearly supplied it before half-time with a curling free-kick that flashed just wide.

But the Reds emerged with renewed focus after the break. They threatened when Dirk Kuyt met Gerrard's header with a deft flick but Cech was able to save with his feet.

With the tie in their control, Chelsea suddenly seemed content to sit back and, not for the first time, that caution proved their undoing.

In the 64th minute Yossi Benayoun cut in from the left and slipped a pass to Torres just inside the penalty area. The Spain striker was surrounded by defenders but he cleverly worked space to fire low past Cech for Liverpool's first goal in nine visits to the Bridge.

The home stretch
      After dominating for so long Chelsea were stunned. Liverpool were just grateful for Torres's moment of inspiration and, with both sides increasingly weary, the tie drifted into extra-time.

Grant's side thought they had taken the lead in the first period when Essien smashed home from the edge of the area, but his strike was disallowed for offside.

Chelsea didn't have to wait long to go back in front. Sami Hyypia's lunge on Ballack in the 98th minute was mistimed and Italian referee Roberto Rosetti had no hesitation in giving the penalty.

Ballack had scored the spot-kick winner against Manchester United on Saturday. This time it was Lampard who stepped up and sent Reina the wrong way from the spot before pointing to the black armband he was wearing in memory of his mother amd raising his fingers to the heavens.
      Now Liverpool were on the ropes and Drogba delivered the killer blow in the 105th minute with a close-range finish from Nicolas Anelka's cross.

The drama still wasn't over as Babel's long-range shot squirmed past Cech in the 117th minute, but Chelsea were soon celebrating semi-final success at last.

Comment

Avram Grant on the media's treatment of him.

Grant relishes European vindication

(AFP) Thursday 1 May 2008

Avram Grant let his emotions hang out as he insisted the critics should get off his back after Chelsea booked a first UEFA Champions League final appearance.

Grant's side beat Liverpool 3-2 after extra time in Wednesday's semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge to set up an all-English showdown with Manchester United in Moscow on 21 May. It was an emotional victory for Grant for a variety of reasons. A place in the final of Europe's elite club competition gives him vindication and the respect he felt he always deserved after replacing Jose Mourinho in September.

However, while the final whistle brought joy for Grant, it was also tinged with sadness. The Israeli revealed after the match that he planned to travel to Auschwitz on Thursday to give a speech to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day.

I understand the criticism before I took over but not after. I have needed to prove more than others

Avram Grant on the media's treatment of him.
        "Since day one there have been so many microscopes on me. I understand the criticism before I took over but not after. I have needed to prove more than others," Grant said.

"I respect the past but I work for the future and present. We play good football at the right time. It is not easy to play three games like these in eight days and with extra-time as well because Liverpool were rested.

"This was a special day for me. Hard but very special. This is Holocaust day in my country and I will be making a visit to Auschwitz on Thursday. My father buried my grandfather with his own hands, as well as his mother and his sister, but he always looked to the future, so this day always has an extra significance.

"He was the most optimistic and strong person I have ever known, so to reach the Champions League Final today of all days was unbelievable."

While his critics continue to claim that Grant has been extremely fortunate to inherit a squad packed with world-class players who refuse to accept defeat, no-one can question his record so far. In reaching the final, he has achieved something even his lauded predecessor Jose Mourinho couldn't manage at Chelsea. The Blues had stumbled three times previously at this stage, twice against Liverpool during Mourinho's reign.

Now Grant wants his players to make more history by pipping United to the Premier League title before beating them in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium. "We have created history. That is very important but we are still fighting for the title," he said.

"It is strange to have two English teams in Moscow. It could be a great final. We have played all the important games better than the other matches; against Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool."

Drogba criticism backfires
        When Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez reflects on what went wrong, he might admit that his own withering pre-match criticism of Didier Drogba's occasional theatrics came back to haunt him in a big way as the Ivorian scored twice to cap a dynamic display. Drogba, who pinned a picture of Benitez next to his peg in the dressing-room, scored the opener in the 33rd minute before Fernando Torres equalised after half-time to send the tie to extra-time.

Frank Lampard's 98th minute penalty after Sami Hyypia fouled Michael Ballack restored Chelsea's lead as the England midfielder celebrated his first goal since the death of his mother last week. Then Drogba added a third goal seven minutes later with a close range finish from Nicolas Anelka's cross. Ryan Babel's late strike gave Liverpool brief hope of another European miracle but this time it was beyond them.

Benitez is a fantastic coach and I was a bit disappointed but I think he felt his team was not strong enough and Chelsea were going to beat them

Didier Drogba on Rafa Benitez.
        Drogba admitted Benitez's comments had given him an extra incentive to play a match-winning role. " Benitez is a fantastic coach and I was a bit disappointed but I think he felt his team was not strong enough and Chelsea were going to beat them," he said.

After a tumultuous season at Anfield, Benitez will finish without a trophy for the second consecutive season. Now the Spaniard has to focus on finding the missing ingredient that will turn Liverpool from pretenders to serious contenders for the Premier League

"The scouting department is working. We must win our last two games then try to improve the squad," he said. "You never know. Sometimes one player can make a massive difference, like Torres, or sometimes you need three or four."

Source: FIFA.com

Comment

What's this big fuss about Lampard losing his mother and tekking the penalty? Other people whey lose loved one's nuh affi guh back a work tuh?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            What's this big fuss about Lampard losing his mother and tekking the penalty? Other people whey lose loved one's nuh affi guh back a work tuh?
            Yuh cooooooaaaaal bwoy?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Yuh cooooooaaaaal bwoy?
              No .. just real. In April one of our faculty members lost his father ... he is back in the classroom ... I don't hear anyone exclaiming about his character? Bacary Sagna lost his brother during the season, where was the talk of his character?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                No .. just real. In April one of our faculty members lost his father ... he is back in the classroom ... I don't hear anyone exclaiming about his character? Bacary Sagna lost his brother during the season, where was the talk of his character?
                Doesn't mean it was not 'tough' putting a 'good face' on and performing at TOP OF THE WORLD level!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Doesn't mean it was not 'tough' putting a 'good face' on and performing at TOP OF THE WORLD level!
                  Did I say that it wasn't tough? The same way others have to go back to work ... why is it any different for Lampard?

Comment

Working...
                  X