Chelsea v Liverpool preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea v Liverpool preview

Chelsea have the opportunity to banish their UEFA Champions League semi-final hoodoo against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night, live on Sky Sports 2.

Revenge can be an over used verb in football but it cannot be questioned that, in this second leg meeting in the final four of Europe's premier cup competition, the R-word will be bouncing around the home dressing room in West London with a certain degree of frequency.

Having been sent packing by the Reds at the semi-final stage in 2005 and 2007, it would have to be a kind-hearted Blue who suggests that Liverpool are simply the final obstacle in the battle to secure an all-English meeting with Manchester United in Moscow on 21st May.

Chelsea players admit that the memory of their previous eliminations at the hands of their Merseyside visitors sits painfully in the back seat of the mind, but they now appear well placed to avenge those entrances in the history books following last week's 1-1 first leg draw at Anfield.

Underdogs

Liverpool, though, will be happy to be cast as the underdogs as they aim to rake up painful flashbacks for their hosts, while the five-time European champions will also be twitching at the prospect of setting up an all-red Russian meeting with North West rivals United in three weeks' time.

Boss Rafa Benitez appears to be compensating for the absence of former foe Jose Mourinho in provoking any possible war of words with Grant, but the Spaniard's motives and continental pedigree cannot be doubted as he bids to steer Liverpool to a third Champions League final appearance in four years.

Benitez has made no secret of his feelings towards the, perceived to be, animated antics of Didier Drogba and do not be surprised to see the Liverpool chief prowling his technical area following any foul awarded in favour of the Chelsea striker.

Drogba is expected to spearhead a three-pronged attack alongside wingers Joe Cole and Florent Malouda while, in midfield, Frank Lampard should play after missing Chelsea's Premier League victory over United last weekend through compassionate leave.

Powerhouse

Ghanaian powerhouse Michael Essien is also expected to return to add some bite to the Chelsea bark following his suspension-enforced absence in the first leg, but Grant is set to play the midfielder in a right-back role.

After ringing the changes in the domestic outing at Birmingham last Saturday, Benitez will return to his star names as defender Jamie Carragher and captain Steven Gerrard start, while striker Fernando Torres will be charged with the vital task of ending Liverpool's eight-game goal drought at Stamford Bridge.

Defender Fabio Aurelio is out for the season after tearing an abductor muscle eight days ago and that is likely to mean Alvaro Arbeloa is shifted to the left of a back four as Steve Finnan comes in on the right.

John Arne Riise would appear to be the Reds' natural left-footed option, but the Norwegian's infamous injury-time own goal last week is likely to leave Benitez begging to differ.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Angry Drogba hits back at Benitez

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba says he has lost respect for Rafael Benitez after the Liverpool boss claimed he had a dossier of his 'diving' antics.
    Ahead of the sides' Champions league semi-final second leg, Drogba furiously hit back at the accusation.
    Drogba told French newspaper L'Equipe: "Benitez was a manager I respected a lot. He has really disappointed me.
    "Until now, I found him very competent and also classy. A top boss would never go so low to attack a player."
    Drogba came in for criticism over his conduct following last week's first leg, which finished 1-1.
    But the Ivory Coast international believes it is unjustified and suspects the motives behind Benitez's comments.
    "Perhaps he is looking for something to destabilise us before the match," Drogba said.
    He added: "If he wants me to stay on my feet, maybe he should tell his defenders to stop hitting me.
    "In the first leg, (Jamie) Carragher and the other one (Martin Skrtel) didn't stop. And not just with me. I finished the match with bruises everywhere.
    "Last year, I broke a rib against Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final. Strangely, that escapes the statistics of Benitez.
    "It will not affect me. If I fall, I will always get up. The best response I can give will be on the pitch."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant has already defended his player, insisting Drogba is not a cheat.
    Grant said: "I don't think he is a diver at all. He's a good player. He's a powerful player, so the referee needs to look at what happens to him more."
    "He looks so powerful, defenders think there are other ways to stop him.
    But Grant feels Benitez is playing mind games and instead turned the focus on the defensive tactics used by Liverpool's defenders against Drogba in that game.
    "If you look at the video and see what Jamie Carragher did to him in the first game, you will see the referee was very polite," said Grant.
    "In the first half of the first game, the referee could easily have given a yellow card to Carragher to get him banned for this match.
    "It could have been offside for Ryan Babel in the build-up to their goal, even if he was not involved in the goal."
    "I think he (Benitez) is trying to take attention from this.
    "Rafa can say whatever he wants to say. I say what I think. Ask him why he's saying that. I think the reason is clear.
    "One way to stop him is to use power more than ever. I think he has tried to affect the referee so he does not do his job."

Liverpool had the relative luxury of resting players when they drew with Birmingham at the weekend, while Chelsea fought hard to overcome Premier League title rivals Manchester United on Saturday.
    But Grant says he was happier to play a meaningful match instead of going through the motions and wants a repeat result.
    "First, I am very glad that we had a game that was important for us and we didn't need to rest players," said Grant.
    "Of course, it's sometimes an advantage, but I don't think it will disturb us when it comes to the game.
    "On Saturday we wanted to show that we can play like champions. We wanted to do that. But this is another game, a Champions League semi-final. We want to do it in this game."
    Chelsea have never gone beyond the last four of the Champions League and Grant says he is determined to see his side crowned European champions this term.
    "The dream of everybody is the Champions League," Grant explained. "This is the top. We've gone a long, long way. It has not been easy up to this game.
    "The target is the Champions League, for sure. You cannot say it's more important than other competitions, but it's very important for the club and I'm here to sell the club. "Chelsea wants to be a big club. When you want to be a big club, you need to win the Champions League. It's very important for the club to create history for Chelsea."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X