X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson & Grant set for decider

Ferguson & Grant set for decider

Ferguson and Grant are both desperate for victory on Saturday

Chelsea boss Avram Grant is determined to stop Manchester United from all but retaining the Premier League crown with a win at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

"We don't want them to take the title here, or to become champions at all," said Grant ahead of the key clash.
    Victory for United would open up a six-point lead, with two games left, and, given their vastly superior goal difference, virtually seal the title.

"There is a great incentive for us," said United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
    He is concerned his players have not fully recovered after Wednesday's match at Barcelona but is confident they will be back to their best.
    United drew 0-0 at the Nou Camp in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final - 24 hours after Chelsea drew their last-four clash with Liverpool.

"What we have to do first is get the players recovered from Barcelona. Hopefully we will be all right," added Ferguson.

"We have the disadvantage of a day's less rest than Chelsea and then there is the travelling of course.

"The game takes care of itself in terms of focus, we just have to make sure we are properly rested and prepared.

"We also have to recover our passing ability because it was an area that let us down against Barca.

"It was surprising because normally we are very good at that part of our game. But I am sure we will get it back on Saturday."

The United boss is also wary that the Blues will go into the game on a high after John Arne Riise's late own goal gave them a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

"As far as the second leg is concerned, there is no doubt Chelsea's morale will have been boosted," explained Ferguson.
    "It was a great result for them, particularly the time of their equaliser. They have a marvellous chance of getting to Moscow after that game."

The Blues' impressive home record - they have not lost in 80 league games at Stamford Bridge stretching back to February 2004 - will give them further hope that they can keep their own title hopes alive.

However, United winger Cristiano Ronaldo is focused on sealing the three points that would all but end Chelsea's challenge.
    "It will be a tough game, but we have a great chance as the team is very confident," he said.
    "We do not want to drop any points at Chelsea, so it is important we go for the victory."

Even a draw would leave the odds stacked in United's favour but Grant insists his team have not given up hope of overhauling their rivals.

"We are happy that we're still in the race for the championship," said Grant. "The players are highly motivated.

"We are at home and we want to win. We did what we needed to do in Liverpool. It was a Champions League semi-final away from home at Anfield.

"We did what we needed to do. The game was good for us. United also played away from home on Wednesday, but this game will not be the same.

"They are a proud team and in first place, and they will come to Stamford Bridge knowing that we're still in the fight.
    "But we are a team that's come from fifth to second place, showed a lot of spirit and mounted a good recovery from a sometimes difficult situation.

"It is difficult to beat us and we have shown a lot. The pressure's good. I hope I have weeks like this all my life. It's an exciting week. We've worked hard to come to this situation. We want to enjoy it now."

We have got a pretty good record at Stamford Bridge, so we hope to keep that going - Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech

Chelsea must make do without influential midfielder Frank Lampard, who will miss the game following the death of his mother this week, but goalkeeper Petr Cech says the Blues are still focused on winning the title.

"Every game now is like a final," Cech explained. "Personally, I play football to play in the big games and this is an exciting time for everyone.
    "The Premier League is getting towards the end and after Saturday we can be neck and neck with Man United.

"Of course, United score the most goals in the league - they have got the attacking threat - but we have got a pretty good record at Stamford Bridge, so we hope to keep that going. "I always like playing against United, with their top players - you know you will have some work to do. When you keep a clean sheet against such an attacking team it is great."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Ferguson & Grant set for decider

Ferguson and Grant are both desperate for victory on Saturday

Chelsea boss Avram Grant is determined to stop Manchester United from all but retaining the Premier League crown with a win at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

"We don't want them to take the title here, or to become champions at all," said Grant ahead of the key clash.
    and neck with Man United.

mmmmm?
    Yes...there is the following "...or to become Champions at all"...but...???? ...a concession????

Tillaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Ballaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

My sincerest hope is that both come out extremly BRUISED , INJURED & TIRED.

Rafa ...rotation , rotation , rotataion .
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

This frigging rotation thing comes at a hefty cost, Man U MUST use the Chelsea game to prepare for Barca, that means using the "chosen starting team" but I suspect Fergie will be worried about injury(with such few games remaining, good old days coaches wanted players to survive a whole season), and of course Fergie does not want to give Frank a glimpse of things to come. Something funny with the starting eleven tomorrow should be expected.
        My team would be Nani, Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo,Evra, Anderson, Carrick,Hargreaves,Brown, Rio, Lenky
        We just have to maintain our 2-4-4 form on the field,If Barca again sacrifices its players to keep Man U from leaving its half, we make them pay by way of our keeper finding Ronaldo,Nani, Tevez or Rooney.
        Fletcher is my choice...if Messi is his typical self.
        I want to do the fine tuning from now, but roatation is providing Fergie with the excuse....

Blessed

Comment

This frigging rotation thing comes at a hefty cost....Now yuh see it .

Chel$ki and Man U has to play a full strength team over both legs , everything is on the line , everything is at stake.

Like Arsenal before some will lose it , and hopefully one will lose it all.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The best result for liverpool is that they both draw, pursing the prem until the last ball is kicked would be fantastic for any C.L finalist awaiting them.

Comment

Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd A Better Result For Liverpool

By Ian Hughes

Blacck's double has kept Chelsea's title hopes alive

Michael Ballack's penalty blew the title race open as Chelsea moved level on points with leaders Manchester United with only two matches left.
              Joe Cole's shot hit the bar as United, who lost Nemanja Vidic to injury, backtracked before Ballack headed Chelsea in front on 45 minutes.
              Wayne Rooney drove in the equaliser after Ricardo Carvalho's error to put United back in the driving seat.
              But after Michael Carrick handled in the area, Ballack won it from the spot. It was the first penalty United had conceded all season - and a contentious one at that - and could prove decisive at the end of the season when silverware is handed out. And as United pressed at the very end of the game, it took goal-line clearances from Ashley Cole and Andriy Shevchenko to deny first Cristiano Ronaldo and then Darren Fletcher and ensure Chelsea claimed a vital three points.

Comment

You have some injuries to attend to Man Uites ?....Isnt Life sweet , your whole season is going down an Arsenic road ....Ouch it hot !

BBC pundits on Chelsea v Man Utd

Graham Taylor
                BBC Radio 5 Live summariser

I didn't think here was any great rhythm to Manchester United's play.

Both against Barcelona and against Chelsea, the line-ups selected by Sir Alex have been based on the fact that they don't want to lose the game.

Graham Taylor

They have a very talented and large squad and when we were all talking about the game before the match, we were saying 'this looks ok, with Ronaldo and Tevez to come on'.
                Tevez never came on. We saw what he did for West Ham in the last few games of last season. Tevez is a big time player and I am always surprised when he spends 90 minutes on the bench.
                Both against Barcelona and against Chelsea, the line-ups selected by Sir Alex have been based on the fact that they didn't want to lose the game.
                And sometimes, I don't care how talented your players are, that can give out a wrong message.
                Graham Taylor was talking on BBC Radio 5 Live

Garth Crooks
                BBC football pundit

When it started I thought Chelsea looked the more likely to win the game. It then twisted and turned.
                606: DEBATE
                Your thoughts on the Premier League title race
                Manchester United picked up two very important injuries in Wayne Rooney and Nemanja Vidic going into an extremely difficult period.
                They have the Champions League next Tuesday against Barcelona, they have the championship to win here as well and I think nothing is by any means certain.
                I just have a gut feeling that Chelsea will win the title.
                I feel for Avram Grant and I think he's done a fantastic job. Jose Mourinho was a difficult act to follow but he's done it pretty well.

Lee Dixon
                BBC football pundit

Let's take nothing away from Chelsea - to actually get into this position and go into today's game needing a win is a phenomenal achievement.

Man Utd just need to win their last two games against West Ham and Wigan

Lee Dixon

They were so far behind, everyone had written them off and then they come with this charge where nobody saw them coming up on the rails and then they beat Man Utd.
                They've just ground out results. They haven't played particularly well, they've been off form, but they've got results.
                Man Utd just need to win their last two games against West Ham and Wigan and if they don't win those then they don't deserve to win the title and Sir Alex Ferguson knows that.

Gavin Peacock
                BBC football pundit

I think United will still just do it.
                It is difficult. Chelsea go to Newcastle, but they're in decent form and as for United, although they have got Wigan away on the last day of the season, it might not be too easy for them. But I think you're happier if you're United, although losing Rooney and Vidic is a big blow for them. Garth Crooks, Lee Dixon and Gavin Peacock were talking on the BBC's Score programme

Comment

Working...
                X